Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 513 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
probablyROB
String Cheese..
  • Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

I have Hader winning actor purely because I sense that there’s a lot of passion behind him and his performance even if there isn’t necessarily as much for the show itself whilst the opposite seems to be the case with Ted Lasso with there being more passion behind the ensemble itself than Sudeikis (at this point in the show’s run). I also don’t think Barry missing for Goldberg necessarily hurts Hader’s chances the way it might hurt the show’s chances of winning series. Barry has already shown itself to be able to fare better with actors during the second round of voting better than the first in the past (winning both the acting categories it was up for in 2018 in spite of being up against Atlanta and Maisel in them, both of which had more acting nominations and the latter of which being the eventual comedy series winner) and I still think that Sudeikis’ miss in guest for SNL is pretty glaring especially when Hader managed to make it into guest for a show that got 0 acting nominations the last time it competed. Especially when Sudeikis fits the profile of the type of ex cast member/comedic personality voters tend to go all out for in those categories (unlike say Anya Taylor-Joy last year, who coincidentally went on to lose after missing in guest for SNL).

I feel like Sudeikis is lowkey locked but you kinda spilled.

I did think of comparing his miss to ATJ but he missed to Ted Lasso actors so I don’t really know what that could mean.

2X EMMY WINNER ZENDAYA

Profile picture
    leftyouthere
    Topics:

Yeah Hader’s not out of the acting race just yet. Even if Root and Goldberg missed noms, he still scored four individual noms (five really since he produces Barry), matching the number of noms he got in 2019. Sudeikis had three noms last year, but didn’t submit the season 2 episode he wrote and missed Guest Actor for other Lasso performers,  so he just has the two. I can definitely see Sudeikis repeating, but I can also see Hader pulling off the win.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I feel like Sudeikis is lowkey locked but you kinda spilled. I did think of comparing his miss to ATJ but he missed to Ted Lasso actors so I don’t really know what that could mean.

Sudeikis can obviously still win because it could just be a case of series and actor going hand in hand and missing a guest nod obviously doesn’t keep him out of the running (nor does Hader getting a guest nod lock him for the lead actor win) but I just find his SNL miss hard to ignore. At least with Anya Taylor-Joy you could argue that voters rarely go with “stars” in those categories when they host SNL but rather comedic personalities and those who are former cast members but Sudeikis is an SNL alum and they tend to jump to nominate them there. Kristen Wiig, Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, Maya Rudolph, Jimmy Fallon, Eddie Murphy, Tracy Morgan, Adam Sandler or even Bill Hader too. Not to mention just like Phoebe Waller-Bridge two years ago and Dan Levy last year (both of whom got nominated for hosting SNL) he’s an auteur behind a show that just swept the Emmys and the winter awards and is the frontrunner for comedy series.

It could be nothing but I just wonder if it might suggest that even as there may still be a lot of passion behind Ted Lasso, there isn’t an undeniable amount of passion behind Sudeikis himself. Just for as many instances as we’ve seen performers getting double nominations and losing both (as with Jason Bateman, Sandra Oh and Fiona Shaw) we’ve seen performers who have missed out on widely predicted second nods go on to lose their categories (Rachel Brosnahan in 2019, Elisabeth Moss in 2018, Alex Borstein in 2020. Anya Taylor-Joy in 2021) and a lot of the time they’ve also been performers who have just come off winter awards/Emmy sweeps.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

^^ especially against shows that didn’t compete over winter and they’ve never competed against.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

The first season of Ted Lasso was a refreshing positive optimistic piece that was needed during the pandemic, so I understood why it won series last year. But this time around, the second season seems to be a retread of the first season while hardly taking bold choices. Meanwhile, Barry’s season 3 direction improves each episode and more insane by the creative risks it takes. Abbot Elementary is one of the most popular comedy series of the year which is wildly impressive since it just started it’s first season and is a wholesome piece highlighting hardworking teachers and our flawed public education system. Only Murders in the Building was a hit and was an interesting comedic take on true crime. All of these series are more deserving than Ted Lasso’s safe second season. While I feel like the series i’ve mentioned will continue to evoke, it feels like Ted Lasso peaked in season 1.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I currently have Ted Lasso in directing although I think what I’ll predict will depend on what takes casting.

When Abbott Elementary wins…

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

When Abbott Elementary wins…

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

Abbot Elementary will “upset” in one of these categories. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Janelle James in Supporting Actress.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Now that Sarah Goldberg is out, I really hope Janelle James does take it. Well deserved.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    Alijah Purdy
    Topics:

I don’t think James will vote-split with Sheryl Lee Ralph. Just like Hannah Waddingham didn’t vote-split with Juno Temple last year. Janelle James is the breakout from Abbot. The only way she vote-splits is if voters check Sheryl’s name to try to give her a “career” Emmy Award

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

I don’t think James will vote-split with Sheryl Lee Ralph. Just like Hannah Waddingham didn’t vote-split with Juno Temple last year. Janelle James is the breakout from Abbot.

I agree. Sheryl is great as well but most Abbott fans see Janelle as the standout.

2X EMMY WINNER ZENDAYA

Profile picture
    CarlosEdu
    Topics:

Hannah Waddingham gives me Alex Borstein vibes (she won for the first season that swept and still won for the second season even with the show not winning Best Series) but Janelle James seems so strong too, everbody that saw Abbott Elementary loves her, I can’t underestimate the fact that she got a TCA nomination too so it has some passion for this perfomance.

Hannah Einbinder also seems a little dark horse, I could see her winning if both Ted Lasso and Abbott Elementary split the votes, but she is #3 for me now.

Profile picture
    Alijah Purdy
    Topics:

That being said, I think Sheryl is still a strong contender. Right now, I have her in 4th, behind James, Waddingham, and Einbinder. I’ve learned to NEVER count out these awards giving someone a “career celebration” win.

Profile picture
    24Kgirl
    Topics:

Outside of comedy actress it’s exciting that unlike last year, where series and 3/4 acting categories were pretty much predictable from the outset, these categories are little more competitive. Even thought it’s starting to look like two person races (Bill v. Jason, Brett v. Henry, the Hannahs v Janelle), there are races.

That and there’s no risk of a Schitt’s Creek type sweep as no one got 7/7 nods in the main ATL categories.

Profile picture
    nkb325
    Topics:

Just moved Abbott into first for Comedy series, going to keep it there unless it loses casting (I’m currently predicting it for Series, S. Actress, and Casting). There just seems to be so much goodwill towards it, and despite the nominations indicating otherwise I do feel like the more mixed audience reaction to Ted Lasso season 2 stand a good chance of getting in the way of it winning. Hacks feels industry beloved but doesn’t have much buzz, Barry is basically a drama at this point, and Only Murders in the Building feels like it might need to build another couple years. As the apple in a barrel of oranges, I think voters might be craving the comfort of a more traditional show, and want to send a message that network’s still got it.

And just to go to supporting actress, I think Waddingham will suffer from vote splitting more than last year. Not only did she have a less significant presence this season (she was basically a co-lead in season 1), but Temple had a BIGGER role this season, her romance with Roy being one of the more universally liked storylines in the divisive season, plus Sarah Niles bringing a completely different tone to the show that might steal some votes just for that.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.