Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 513 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
probablyROB
String Cheese..
  • Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I don’t see Abbott Elementary winning without Directing or Editing noms.

The Handmaid’s Tale is the only show, under the new system, to win a Series award without a nom in Editing. It went on to win the Guild and Editing for s2, so it probably missed due to low visibility within the branch. All Series that won had noms for both. Abbott Elementary also doesn’t have any btl noms outside Casting.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I don’t think Barry being more dramatic this season will matter. Season 2 of Fleabag was very dramatic and borderline devastating at times and it didn’t slow her down at all.

I think whoever wins writing though is probably going to win series. It feels like the most open field so enough support there will be the difference in pushing them over the top.

You can say Barry being dramatic will hurt it but they already nominated them twice in writing for two of the most dramatic episodes of the series or any comedy for that matter.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

How did Sarah Goldberg miss?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Kate McKinnon announced she was leaving SNL.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I feel like the actors branch had never really been quite as high on her as maybe critics and people here are. Yes, she got nominated for season 2 but many people thought she should have won so maybe the field was just too tough for a performance actors aren’t quite as high on as we think they should be this year.

Profile picture
    nkb325
    Topics:

I don’t see Abbott Elementary winning without Directing or Editing noms.

The Handmaid’s Tale is the only show, under the new system, to win a Series award without a nom in Editing. It went on to win the Guild and Editing for s2, so it probably missed due to low visibility within the branch. All Series that won had noms for both. Abbott Elementary also doesn’t have any btl noms outside Casting.

This is a totally valid point, but I think what we’ve learned from recent years is that holding on too tightly to stats is a risk. I know the film and television academies are completely different beasts, but just look at CODA. Or even look at the example you gave, Handmaids Tale. Or something like Fleabag – had a 2nd season of a show that got 0 nominations for its first season ever won before? Same thing with Schitt’s Creek. Before Squid Game a foreign language show had never been nominated before. Stats are only a stat until they’re broken, so in these current days of such large voting numbers and the internet and social media what matters more than any of that is Buzz. Fleabag had buzz, Handmaids Tale had buzz, CODA had buzz, Squid Game had buzz. Last year Ted Lasso had buzz, buzz that I’m not sure it really has this year. And Abbott might not get that buzz instead either! But considering it is such an outlier in it’s field, personally i see a scenario where over the next couple months as the emmys are dissected and think-pieced to death, people will start paying more attention to something fresh like Abbott, and that might push it over the edge.

To be clear with all that said, I by no means think Abbott is a frontrunner or a lock, and you could absolutely be right that it doesn’t have enough support to win.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Kate McKinnon announced she was leaving SNL.

It could’ve been Sarah Niles that knocked her out, Kate could’ve been nominated either way.

2X EMMY WINNER ZENDAYA

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

The first season of Ted Lasso was a refreshing positive optimistic piece that was needed during the pandemic, so I understood why it won series last year. But this time around, the second season seems to be a retread of the first season while hardly taking bold choices. Meanwhile, Barry’s season 3 direction improves each episode and more insane by the creative risks it takes. Abbot Elementary is one of the most popular comedy series of the year which is wildly impressive since it just started it’s first season and is a wholesome piece highlighting hardworking teachers and our flawed public education system. Only Murders in the Building was a hit and was an interesting comedic take on true crime. All of these series are more deserving than Ted Lasso’s safe second season. While I feel like the series i’ve mentioned will continue to evoke, it feels like Ted Lasso peaked in season 1.

I think what also could hurt Ted Lasso is the fact that Season 2 airing near voting is what helped it win some categories. Like lemme use Brett as an example, Roy Kent had numerous viral moments from S2 on social media and that’s what convinced me that he was winning… so essentially it was almost like he was being awarded for S2 if that makes sense. Now that it’s been a year, the passion for the show might not have been sustained because it was already used to boost S1’s winning chances. That’s why it feels weaker at the moment imo.

2X EMMY WINNER ZENDAYA

Profile picture
    nkb325
    Topics:

It could’ve been Sarah Niles that knocked her out, Kate could’ve been nominated either way.

Kate most likely would’ve been, has she ever missed a nom since she started getting them?

A lot of people have said that it might be because voters just don’t like her character (possible), or I wonder if it’s just that they think she’s an actress playing an actress so there’s not real “performance” (which is of course completely unfair. In season 2 Barry was at it’s peak popularity, plus she had that pretty busy 1-shot monologue. Look at, for example, the fact that both she and complete unknown Sian Clifford were able to make it, whereas all 3 Barry guys prevented breakout star of the season Andrew Scott from making it in. It seems like the Barry block just likes the men more, but supporting actress was a bit more open that year.

Profile picture
    Gucci
    Topics:

Honey, another white woman better NOT win Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I think Janelle James is gonna win but mainly because I don’t think Abbott can win anything else but that and they won’t walk away empty handed.

Profile picture
    24Kgirl
    Topics:

I think Janelle James is gonna win but mainly because I don’t think Abbott can win anything else but that and they won’t walk away empty handed.

I think Abbott could take writing as that’s a place they could reward Quinta.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

If Abbott Elementary is winning an Emmy (which I think it will. It won’t go home empty-handed), it would be for Brunson, who is responsible for the show’s creation. I think writing is the easiest and deserving place to reward Abbott.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Jake422
    Topics:

Honey, another white woman better NOT win Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series.

Honey, you Stan one of the whitest pop girls of the 2000s. Stop it with the race shit.

Profile picture
    Jake422
    Topics:

Unreal. “Self entitled C*nt” is the most memorable scene of the year. Biggest robbery of the season. That scene alone should have solidified her nom.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.