Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 513 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
probablyROB
String Cheese..
  • Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

The Great is massively underrated. It had a phenomenal sophomore season and should be getting noms and wins across the board. In my top2 of Comedy, alongside Barry.

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

I’m really tempted to put Fanning and Hoult in, both categories have some wide open slots, Glover doesn’t have much passion for a nomination that even Anderson is likely to get in over him. While Actress looks like a mess with Smart and Brunson being locks and Cuoco/Brosnahan being safe-ish in a way.

All the Lead Actress categories are so hard to predict this year.

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

If the actors have indeed embraced The Great and both Fanning and Hoult get in, I wouldn’t be shocked if Belinda Bromilow showed up as a surprise nominee.

If The Great was more active in the race, I think Bromilow would be a sure nominee.

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC:
    The Great
    Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Severance
    The Batman

Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

The final “Feinberg Forecast” has Fanning listed as a “Shoulda Been a Contender”, which is odd for someone coming off a SAG nom from a SAG ensemble nominated show.

Projected Nominees (alphabetically)
    Rachel Brosnahan (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel)
    Quinta Brunson (Abbott Elementary)
    Kaley Cuoco (The Flight Attendant)
    Issa Rae (Insecure)
    Tracee Ellis Ross (Black-ish)
    Jean Smart (Hacks)

Alternate
    Natasha Lyonne (Russian Doll)

Potential Surprise
    Selena Gomez (Only Murders in the Building) —

Shoulda Been a Contender
    Elle Fanning (The Great)

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

The final “Feinberg Forecast” has Fanning listed as a “Shoulda Been a Contender”, which is odd for someone coming off a SAG nom from a SAG ensemble nominated show.

And has someone who missed SAG to Fanning, despite her show getting 3 noms, listed as a potential surprise. It’s the lack of logic for me.

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

Hacks is being underestimated I can see it being this year’s Schitt’s Creek (the 1 show that sweeps all it’s categories)

Agreed, which is weird since we have actual proof that it has industry support (and a lot of it).

It won’t sweep though.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

And has someone who missed SAG to Fanning, despite her show getting 3 noms, listed as a potential surprise. It’s the lack of logic for me.

Different voting bodies…

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Agreed, which is weird since we have actual proof that it has industry support (and a lot of it). It won’t sweep though.

Not that Hacks is particularly niche but I also don’t think it’s broad enough to sweep?

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Different voting bodies…

It would be a good argument if her show had been shut out, but OMITB managed 3 noms, 2 of them for her co stars, and they still said to no to her and went with Temple and Oh instead.

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

Not that Hacks is particularly niche but I also don’t think it’s broad enough to sweep?

It’s not just that, it’s more so that sweeps really only occur when a show is so immensely popular/voters are passionate about it and/or there isn’t any real competition. Like The Crown definitely benefited from drama being empty lol. Hacks obviously can’t sweep because it’s never winning lead actor (duh) and supporting actor. I think on its best day it wins series, lead actress, supporting actress, writing and directing. I don’t see that for it though.

What I actually think it’s winning right now, before we see the nominations, is series, actress and writing. Some of the Abbott predictions feel like jumping the gun to me. Multiple above the line wins and series? We have to see how the industry actually responds to it first. And even then it’s up against a number of returning shows that are proven industry favorites. I could end up being wrong but it feels reactionary to me.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

It would be a good argument if her show had been shut out, but OMITB managed 3 noms, 2 of them for her co stars, and they still said to no to her and went with Temple and Oh instead.

It’s not a surprise that someone who is not an actor didn’t get a nomination at the Screen Actors Guild…

I don’t know why it’s hard to understand that they’re two different voting bodies with different sensibilities. Not saying Fanning is out and Gomez is in, just saying just because something happened at SAG it doesn’t mean it will translate success at the Academy, and the contrary also apply.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Different voting bodies…

Which is precisely why the confidence is baffling. If Selena Gomez of all people can’t get nominated by the awards body notorious for having DJs and TikTokers as a part of its voting membership who have nominated the likes of John Krasinski for shows that did not factor at the Emmys then what’s to say the Television Academy (a more restrictive body where actual actors vote) will ensure she gets a nomination. It’s not like SAG were the only ones who didn’t nominate her or as if either Martins were snubbed for someone like Hoult for their to be signs of SAG disproportionately being favourable to The Great and unfavourable to Only Murders in the Building.

I don’t think it’s impossible for Gomez to get nominated in spite of her SAG and Golden Globe misses but the fact that she’s got odds that make her look like a near lock in the comedy actress race whilst people like Fanning and Ross and hell even Lyonne who have shown themselves to have more proven awards track records are languishing so far behind is mind boggling.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Is this a joke ? Do you really think DJ’s and Tik Tokers weigh in so much ?

Hannah Einbinder didn’t get nominated either. They went for Sandra Oh. We all know they go for veterans.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

It’s not a surprise that someone who is not an actor didn’t get a nomination at the Screen Actors Guild… I don’t know why it’s hard to understand that they’re two different voting bodies with different sensibilities. Not saying Fanning is out and Gomez is in, just saying just because something happened at SAG it doesn’t mean it will translate success at the Academy, and the contrary also apply.

erm, what?! Selena is an Actress lmao. And we are talking about the same voting body that had no issue nominating the likes of Lady Gaga and Jennifer Lopez.

And again, her missing SAG when her show got major noms, is major red flag. Sorry.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

erm, what?! Selena is an Actress lmao. And we are talking about the same voting body that had no issue nominating the likes of Lady Gaga and Jennifer Lopez.

And again, her missing SAG when her show got major noms, is major red flag. Sorry.

Those situations are all completely different from each other, starting by the fact that those are movies and the TV side of SAG votes in a way different way. Selena isn’t as high profile as those two as Gaga started off in a movie (a remake of a classic) with one of the most beloved actors in industry and Lopez had been acting since the 90’s.

I don’t think she will get nominated. I’m just saying I understand why someone would not take SAG so seriously when it comes to Emmy predictions.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.