Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 513 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
probablyROB
String Cheese..
  • Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

I won’t be surprised either way if Selena is nominated or not. I am rooting for her though. I think what makes that show so enjoyable is the chemistry between the trio and she obviously plays a big part in that.

I will say one reason why I don’t think all hope is lost at the Emmy’s for her is because the unlimited ballot. Fans of the show, and I’m sure there will be a lot of them since it’s a surefire series nominee and a likely across the board player, will check her name off since they don’t need to limit their choices to only 6 performances. I’m not saying that’ll be enough or that my theory is bullet proof but I lean more towards that side as opposed to voters checking off Martin and Short in actor and then willingly passing over Selena in actress despite not having a limited amount of performances they need to pick from.

Again, won’t be shocked either way though. Also, while I think it’s fair to read into how SAG voted, I don’t think it’s the end all be all. It was months ago, for starters, and I feel like SAG always benefits some performers over others. Selena missing there was tough though, but it doesn’t completely kill her chances at the Emmy’s which is a different ballgame.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I’m not saying she can’t get nominated, or that Fannig is, but I just don’t see why Selena would be ahead of her. I know the former has the strongest show but, so far, there’s no indication that her performance has any support or passion. Her missing for Temple, who’s not a veteran and has a supporting performance, and Oh, in a buzzless Netflix show, is just not a good look imo. But ig we’ll see. I wouldn’t mind her getting nominated, since I liked her a lot.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I am very much of the opinion that Selena getting in is neither here or there (she’s kind of fringe) and I think people are making too much of a big deal about her and her background/career/etc. She’s been acting since she was a kid. The show is a contender. The leads are contenders. I think people are overcomplicating things.

John Cena on Peacemaker is more likely to get the “not an actor” bias IMHO.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s not the non actor bias that makes me sceptical of her chances but rather whether the industry actually cares enough about any of the performances on this show outside of the two Martins to check them off. I do think they’ll get guest acting nominations purely because of the respect Fey, Lane and Lynch command in the industry (and the narrative prominence the former two both have on the show) but I just feel like a lot of people in the industry just view this show as the two Martins going around investigating a murder (whilst delivering career best performances) with a bunch of famous people around them and nothing more which makes me cautious about not only predicting Gomez but also Amy Ryan in supporting.

We’ve just seen on the drama side how Emmy nominee Peter Mullan, 2 time Academy Award nominee Janet McTeer and Tom Pelphrey (with one of the most acclaimed performances of the year) have all missed for Ozark as voters have not taken to any of the other performances on the show outside of the principal trio of Bateman, Garner and Linney.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

but I just feel like a lot of people in the industry just view this show as the two Martins going around investigating a murder (whilst delivering career best performances) with a bunch of famous people around them and nothing more which makes me cautious about not only predicting Gomez but also Amy Ryan in supporting.

I highly highly doubt someone will view the series as just “two Martin’s going around investigating a murder” even if they are apathetic to Selena’s performance because it’s so obviously a three hander and she’s so much of a lead in the show as the other two. A person might or might not like her performance but it’s impossible to view it as a show of two Martins.

We’ve just seen on the drama side how Emmy nominee Peter Mullan, 2 time Academy Award nominee Janet McTeer and Tom Pelphrey (with one of the most acclaimed performances of the year) have all missed for Ozark as voters have not taken to any of the other performances on the show outside of the principal trio of Bateman, Garner and Linney.

Won’t this apply to Gomez as well? She is one of the principal trio of her show + one of the faces + executive producer. Not saying she’ll get nominated (I have her at probably 8) but I don’t get this principal trio argument.

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Won’t this apply to Gomez as well? She is one of the principal trio of her show + one of the faces + executive producer. Not saying she’ll get nominated (I have her at probably 8) but I don’t get this principal trio argument.

I feel the same way. This is also a Hulu show, and Hulu’s target audience is actually not usually the type to go for 70-something veteran comedians. She’s on every bit of promo and is one of the draws for the show.

Profile picture
    musterd
    Topics:

Bemused at half the people predicting Rhys Darby for Our Flag Means Death also has him winning, and he would be ranked 4th among predicted winners. Too bad HBO has other show priorities.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I am very much of the opinion that Selena getting in is neither here or there (she’s kind of fringe) and I think people are making too much of a big deal about her and her background/career/etc.

Absolutely one here is doing this on regards her Emmy chances

I’m talking about SAG, SAG. We know SAG has bias.

Profile picture
    Epor
    Topics:

I agree that Selena’s odds are low, but I wouldn’t be surprised if she gets in. We tend to forget that Selena is the main selling point of the series, and yes, the Martins are big in the industry but most of the people (and when I say most I mean the younger audience and pretty much everyone outside the US) that turned in OMITB knows it as “Selena Gomez’s new TV show”. I know most of the voters watched it for the Martins but she’s still the face of the series.

She’s the biggest celebrity in the show and is her first big role since Wizards of Waverly Place and I think that is exactly what could make the voters check her name; people had low expectations about her performance (especially as a former disney star) and her being able to pull a great one along with such comedy legends as the Martins is why people are rooting for her. Her performance doesn’t stand out by its own but when we compare it to her previous acting roles and the idea we had of her acting is when we say “wow she’s actually good”

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

She’s the biggest celebrity in the show and is her first big role since Wizards of Waverly Place

I just can’t with this logic. She is a nothing compared to the two men she is lucky to share a screen with. Let’s not pretend her romantic b plots aren’t when we go and make a cup of tea or check our phone. And a Disney children’s show in the same breath? The delusion.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

The fact GG and SAG (the biggest celebrity f*ckers) ignored Gomez is why I’m not confident in her getting in. But again, this category seems wide open that she could benefit from being the face of a popular show.

Profile picture
    Epor
    Topics:

I just can’t with this logic. She is a nothing compared to the two men she is lucky to share a screen with. Let’s not pretend her romantic b plots aren’t when we go and make a cup of tea or check our phone. And a Disney children’s show in the same breath? The delusion.

? All am saying is she’s way more famous and recognized worldwide than the other two. I already know the Martins have huge reputation and are legends in the field but that doesn’t take away the fact that Gomez is one of the biggest celebrities in the world. She’s pretty much known all over the globe (can’t say the same about the Martins) specially since her main career is music (and I’m not saying that increases her chances, just saying that she is more appealing to casual audience rather than the Martins and that makes a selling point)

Also wow the misogyny with that second statement, she has gotten recognition in both music and acting industry and has a new beauty brand making headlines left and right bc of its sales and quality, and as far as I know, she hasn’t had a public relationship in a couple years.

And that’s exactly what I meant when I mentioned her children’s show, people that peaked in one don’t tend to get recognition in the acting field and most of the time it remains that way for the rest of their careers; Gomez performance with the Martins was a surprise given the low expectations on her and that’s what gives her a chance even tho it’s not a stand out performance

Profile picture
    almanzarlamarcarlile
    Topics:

Both GG/SAG passed over Selena despite her show doing well.  She’s not exactly respected by the music industry either considering how she constantly tanks at the grammys. I really don’t see why she’d happen.

Furthermore, I think Sandra Oh is being underestimated and I don’t think she should be 100/1. Every individual SAG TV nomination she has had so far also come with an emmy nomination so the argument of her being an easier SAG namecheck than emmy namecheck doesn’t hold weight. I’m probably the only person who has her for dual noms but we’ll see what happens.

Quinta Brunson 1st and 2nd emmy campaign manager
    Bill Hader 4th, 5th and 6th emmy campaign manager
    Jeremy Strong 2nd emmy campaign manager
    Zendaya 2nd and 3rd emmy campaign manager

Profile picture
    Voyage
    Topics:

All I’m gonna say is that whether or not she has any chances, there are people here who are doing too much over a literal award nomination. I don’t know if some of them are getting paid to defend award bodies’ reputations like that, but damn, are they freaking nasty over a girl.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Sandra Oh definitely is much closer to a nomination than odds suggest. Wouldn’t be that surprised if she’s the Netflix nominee and not Lyonne.

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.