Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 513 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
probablyROB
String Cheese..
  • Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

I hope Girls5eva gets in Original Music and Lyrics.

Bend Not Break is such bop!!!!!

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Anderson
    Cheadle
    Hader
    Martin
    Short
    Sudeikis

I had Anderson and Cheadle in for a while with Glover in over Martin. This is actually one of the hardest categories to predict because Anderson and Cheadle have never missed but Glover is probably one of the biggest pop culture figures in the world right now. While I agree he might be undeserving in the sense that he hardly had the work to earn the nomination and think he also got enough to justify a nomination as well. Plus, he’s just a big deal right now.

Steve Martin is a legend but he’s also not someone who has been working or all that visible for the past decade. His last solo nomination was in 2009 for a year when 30 Rock got like a billion nominations including three of the guest actor spots (and musician/actor/superstar won over them that year). His only Emmy win was in 1969. Maybe the show is big enough or his legendary status is big enough to carry him through and it’s a fair assumption.

Martin Short on the other hand has been nominated for a guest acting Emmy recently and has actually been working a ton for the past decade and way more visible(I believe he and Steve’s nomination for variety was more because of his presence than Steve’s but that is obvious conjecture). I could completely see a scenario where Short gets in but Martin gets snubbed. I’m not brave enough to predict but I will still take credit for calling it if it happens. So, I’m hedging my bets a bit.

Right now my predictions are:

Sudekis
    Hader
    Glover
    Martin
    Short
    Anderson

But Hoult and Cheadle are a hairline away from getting in as well.

I don’t know what the rule is anymore but didn’t the rule used to be that is nominees were like within a small percentage of votes they would add an extra nominee to the category? If that is still a possibility this would be the year for it to happen. And I would still have trouble predicting who is getting the 7th slot.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I don’t know what the rule is anymore but didn’t the rule used to be that is nominees were like within a small percentage of votes they would add an extra nominee to the category? If that is still a possibility this would be the year for it to happen. And I would still have trouble predicting who is getting the 7th slot.

Yes, there was a 2% rule. It is now a tie, which did happen last year in Supporting Actor Comedy. I have a suspicion that it happens when the totals for the fringe types are quite low anyway.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

So I have a question for everyone then. Who is everyone giving their 7th slot to if there is a tie? Or better yet, who are you still leaving out?

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

So I have a question for everyone then. Who is everyone giving their 7th slot to if there is a tie? Or better yet, who are you still leaving out?

At the moment, Glover, though I might change that because I am working my way through Atlanta (which isn’t really helping because of his lack of screentime)

I have (in no particular order)

Sudekis
    Hader
    Hoult
    Martin
    Short
    Anderson

I actually don’t think Cheadle is getting through. I know he’s Cheadle and could get nominated for walking down stairs, but the show is cancelled and aired a year ago.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

1. Bill Hader, Barry
    2. Jason Sudeikis, Ted Lasso
    3. Steve Martin, Only Murders in the Building
    4. Martin Short, Only Murders in the Building
    5. Anthony Anderson, black-ish
    6. Don Cheadle, Black Monday
    7. Donald Glover, Atlanta

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

but the show is cancelled and aired a year ago.

Are you sure it was cancelled because the I had not heard that and watching it it felt like a series finale. I’m not sure the story really needed more than 30 episodes.

And it airing a year ago and being on Showtime are the only reasons he would miss because the performance is definitely worthy of a nomination. I was actually one of the few people who watched and enjoyed Black Monday throughout, though. I would have nominated Ken Marino in season one and definitely in season two for supporting actor if it were up to me.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

1. Bill Hader, Barry
    5. Anthony Anderson, black-ish
    6. Don Cheadle, Black Monday
    7. Donald Glover, Atlanta

Out of curiosity who would be 8th?

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Are you sure it was cancelled because the I had not heard that and watching it it felt like a series finale. I’m not sure the story really needed more than 30 episodes.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/black-monday-work-in-progress-canceled-showtime-1235165599/

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Out of curiosity who would be 8th?

Hoult, followed by Kenan. I’m somewhat confident that the nominees will come from the top 7 and I’ll be very surprised if anyone outside of this top 9 makes it in.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

1. Bill Hader, Barry
    5. Nicholas Hoult, The Great
    6. Donald Glover, Atlanta

7. Anthony Anderson, Black-ish
    8. Don Cheadle, Black Monday

Really hoping against hope that my predictions tank in this category and Kayvan Novak surprises with a nomination out of nowhere.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Hoult, followed by Kenan. I’m somewhat confident that the nominees will come from the top 7 and I’ll be very surprised if anyone outside of this top 9 makes it in.

I feel similarly except for Kenan. Although, I would need to think on who would be 9th.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Really hoping against hope that my predictions tank in this category and Kayvan Novak surprises with a nomination out of nowhere.

I would love that too but would also be even more annoyed that Matt Berry wasn’t nominated for season 2. I’m still a little shocked “On The Run” didn’t win in writing too. That was one of the episodes of comedy TV in the past 5-10 years.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think there’s an outside chance for one of the fringier HBO guys to get in here, they’ve had a good comedy year – David again, or Darby or Johnson. Cena I think gets in places that are populist/fringe-y (like Critics Choice Super/People’s Choice/Saturn).

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Good call. Jake Johnson is probably in my 9th slot. Darby 10th.

I’m actually sick of Larry David but I could totally see a scenario where he gets the 6th or 7th spot over Hoult. I keep forgetting but there does seem like a sincere possibility he gets in as does series. I really hope not, though.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.