Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 513 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
probablyROB
String Cheese..
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I would love that too but would also be even more annoyed that Matt Berry wasn’t nominated for season 2. I’m still a little shocked “On The Run” didn’t win in writing too. That was one of the episodes of comedy TV in the past 5-10 years.

If Berry went supporting this time round (which I think would be the right categorisation for him with his reduced presence this season) I’d probably nominate him. Laszlo could have been played as a very straight (in terms of comedy obviously not sexuality haha) dumb comedy character but he really brings a lot of nuance to the role. His speech to Nadja in the finale was quite emotionally powerful and hilarious at the same time.

I’m actually somewhat shocked he hasn’t caught on at all outside of the Critics Choice nod he got for season 2 considering how much his star has been rising these past few years (he just did a revival fourth season of a show that made him quite famous here that Rashida Jones, Fred Armisen, Bill Hader, Paul Rudd and Benedict Wong all appeared or cameo-d in) and considering that whilst it’s on the fringes here, What We Do in the Shadows isn’t exactly a show that has been out of the awards conversation. Maybe that’s something that’s yet to manifest itself and will do so with later seasons of the show but it would be a shame if it didn’t.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

The past three years, there’s been a 100/1 contender nominated for Comedy Series. Russian Doll and Cobra Kai are suddenly looking a lot more appealing now…

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Cobra Kai only got in last time because the field was so utterly barren. And I say that as someone is a fan of the series. It is definitely a show that benefitted from the pandemic. Both in terms of people discovering it and binging on Netflix and the wasteland of content it had to compete against. However, I would totally be okay with William Zabka sneaking into Comedy Actor somehow.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

rooting for elle to get in. i don’t like the idea of a tca and sag nominee sticking with 0 emmy noms.

Profile picture
    Almond
    Topics:

Still upset WWDITS didn’t get into Comedy Ensemble this year. I hope it has a decent showing on the 12th.

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

What does everyone think about Ghosts’ chances? The show has good reviews, 2 TCA nominations and it’s network’s 2nd most watched comedy. It also has 14K users on IMDb (Abbott has 9.4). With such an open wide 8th slot I decided to predict it.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

rooting for elle to get in. i don’t like the idea of a tca and sag nominee sticking with 0 emmy noms.

I feel like she’s pretty close to a sure thing. I mean, no one is a sure thing but I feel pretty good about having her third or fourth in my predictions.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m so conflicted with what to do with The Flight Attendant. On the one hand I think it can over-perform expectations due to its recency (a bit like Killing Eve season 3 did) and get back into series, actress and even supporting actress. On the other it feels so much like it came and went that with how bizarre this field and I’m honestly wondering if Kaley will even get back in or not.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

If Cuoco is snubbed for the performance that should be winning in a LANDSLIDE…

WTF

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If Cuoco is snubbed for the performance that should be winning in a LANDSLIDE… WTF

In a just world “Drowning Women” alone would lock her for a Sarah Paulson/Catherine O’Hara-esque sweep.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

What does everyone think about Ghosts’ chances? The show has good reviews, 2 TCA nominations and it’s network’s 2nd most watched comedy. It also has 14K users on IMDb (Abbott has 9.4). With such an open wide 8th slot I decided to predict it.

I have it in my writing top 10. The branch has actually been quite prone to nominating episodes of broadcast comedies in the past when they have received a substantial amount of critical acclaim (The Last Man on Earth got nominated in 2015, Community‘s sole above the line Emmy nomination was with the writers etc) and with this being the year of “the network sitcom revival” I can see the writers throwing a bone to it alongside Abbott.

It wouldn’t shock me if it got into series although I’m not really considering a nod for it there in spite of its network ratings because it still feels like a show that is somewhat under the radar (it kind of reminds me of <i>The Great</i>’s first season in that regard). For it to get into a series field like this it would need a broad amount of support and I’d be very surprised if it managed to get acting nominations for example.

Profile picture
    Nick Name
    Topics:

Cuoco should be safe, I can’t think of any scenario where enough votes go to 5 women besides Jean Smart who are not named Kaley Cuoco. Her performamce was way too good.

Silver Tree could get in again, Sharon Stone could get in, maybe Rosie Perez again. Right now I have it in series,  I think it’s quite popular even though S2 wasn’t as good as S1, but I changed it a couple of times already. Writing can be ruled out this year.

Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

I’m tempted to put Russian Doll in for Comedy Series and I feel like dropping Atlanta out of my predictions. The only argument for Russian Doll is being the biggest (and only?) comedy contender for Netflix, which hasn’t missed a nomination in the category since 2013, when half the nominees were network shows.

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

I’m so conflicted with what to do with The Flight Attendant. On the one hand I think it can over-perform expectations due to its recency (a bit like Killing Eve season 3 did) and get back into series, actress and even supporting actress. On the other it feels so much like it came and went that with how bizarre this field and I’m honestly wondering if Kaley will even get back in or not.

I think it has the visibility and is well liked enough to get in. My reservations are more around whether voters will consider it too popcorn fare to nominate now that there’s more competition. A similar situation to Bridgerton I suppose. I think there’s a difference between watching something and enjoying it and actually being like I want to be able to say I voted for this at the Emmys.

Profile picture
    24Kgirl
    Topics:

I’m tempted to put Russian Doll in for Comedy Series and I feel like dropping Atlanta out of my predictions. The only argument for Russian Doll is being the biggest (and only?) comedy contender for Netflix, which hasn’t missed a nomination in the category since 2013, when half the nominees were network shows.

I am feeling Netflix is not the force this year it was in years past. It’s brand took a hit with all the stock loss/subscriber loss/job cuts/projects cut. I also haven’t seen it doing too much FYC promotion or buzz outside of Squid Game but maybe that’s just me.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.