Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 13)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 500 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
String Cheese..
Brayfers
  • Profile picture
    CoolSonic
    Topics:

I think Only Murders is a more than just a dark horse. It has four quadrant appeal, my parents and younger family members know about this show and absolutely adore it. It also has critic appeal, and film/prestige tv twitter appeal (it won at Gold Derby!). It has support from the crafts and actors. Ted Lasso is vulnerable, Abbott has nearly no crafts, Barry is too dark based on previous winners. I would say its between Hacks and Only Murders.

I also think the 2nd season airing right now is helping it. It’s in the Top 10 of IMDB’s most popular shows right now. However, I wish they had timed it better because the finale is airing the day after voting closes. Nonetheless, I definitely think it’s poised to do well at the Creative Art Emmy’s!

Oscars FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in all eligible categories.

Profile picture
    smurty11
    Topics:

I think Only Murders is a more than just a dark horse.
    It has four quadrant appeal, my parents and younger family members know about this show and absolutely adore it. It also has critic appeal, and film/prestige tv twitter appeal (it won at Gold Derby!). It has support from the crafts and actors.
    Ted Lasso is vulnerable, Abbott has nearly no crafts, Barry is too dark based on previous winners.
    I would say its between Hacks and Only Murders.

Series: Only Murders in the Building
    Actor: Bill Hader
    Actress: Jean Smart
    Supp. Actor: Brett Goldstein
    Supp. Actress: Hannah Einbinder
    Guest Actor: Jane Lynch
    Guest Actress: Nathan Lane
    Directing: Only Murders in the Building, “The Boy from 6B”
    Writing: Abbott Elementary, “Pilot”

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I feel like Only Murders in the Building is bound for a vote-split in directing even if it winds up winning series in the end. Whilst “The Boy From 6B” is the showier (and better directed) episode, “True Crime” is the writing submission and the pilot of the show and the directors have shown themselves to have quite a strong affinity for the latter in particular recently.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    smarter person
    Topics:

I need Bill Hader to get out and sell his crazy laugh on the promo circuit immediately. Henry and his yellow tie is doing all the heavy lifting for Barry. Same for Hoult and Fanning. I know they are filming, but give the people something! Even Adam Scott is reluctantly whoring himself. Some people need to lift their game!

For a second, I thought this was gonna about, uh, recent news (and was gonna make a joke about the other nominees trying to get that info leaked as fyc promo), but I hope he eventually joins in on those roundtables the SAG foundation is doing! Would kill to see him and Jason together again.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

For a second, I thought this was gonna about, uh, recent news (and was gonna make a joke about the other nominees trying to get that info leaked as fyc promo), but I hope he eventually joins in on those roundtables the SAG foundation is doing! Would kill to see him and Jason together again.

Ok wow so I immediately looked it up and … firstly, will Rachel Bilson ever shut up, but also, I feel like I’ve known this forever (grey track pants on Laser Cats) and he walks like his dick is heavy so good for him. It’s canon in the Hader Nation.

Anyway I imagine this would be sending Hader into an absolute spiral.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    smarter person
    Topics:

Oh, to be a fly on the wall on the Barry set right now. Feel bad for him knowing he’s said multiple times he doesn’t like talking about his relationships out of respect for his kids.

Profile picture
    Brayfers
    Topics:

is there a world where OMITB takes writing, directing, and lead actor on the way to a surprise series win? the only reason im hesitant to think it could go all the way is the Gomez miss,

yes voters may not take her seriously as an actress or like her performance but you would think if OMITB was to win series, Gomez would be able to grab a nom at least.

Letterboxd: Brayfers

!! EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE - OUT NOW !!

FYC:
    - Severance
    - Euphoria
    - Stranger Things
    - Hacks
    - Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I would’ve needed to see a Gomez nomination or a win at any of the “major” guilds to consider an Only Murders Series win. And the fact it wasn’t even nominated at DGA makes me very skeptical of its chances to overcome a vote split to take directing (especially against DGA triple nominee Ted Lasso which doesn’t have a vote split problem at the Emmys).

FYC: The Bear (Ayo Edebiri) Industry (Marisa Abela) OMITB (Jayne Houdyshell) Physical (Rose Byrne) WWDITS (Natasia Demetriou)

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

is there a world where OMITB takes writing, directing, and lead actor on the way to a surprise series win?

Um, no.

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    J
    Topics:

I think Only Murders is a more than just a dark horse.
    It has four quadrant appeal, my parents and younger family members know about this show and absolutely adore it. It also has critic appeal, and film/prestige tv twitter appeal (it won at Gold Derby!). It has support from the crafts and actors.
    Ted Lasso is vulnerable, Abbott has nearly no crafts, Barry is too dark based on previous winners.
    I would say its between Hacks and Only Murders.

I would have OMITB taking series of Gomez snagged a nomination. That is the only thing holding them back. If they had this much support than I feel like Gomez would have made the nominations.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

I would’ve needed to see a Gomez nomination or a win at any of the “major” guilds to consider an Only Murders Series win. And the fact it wasn’t even nominated at DGA makes me very skeptical of its chances to overcome a vote split to take directing (especially against DGA triple nominee Ted Lasso which doesn’t have a vote split problem at the Emmys).

To be fair, the fact that DGA went with 3 Ted Lasso episodes over OMITB when the Emmys went in a very different direction makes me think we shouldn’t be as stringent with relying on them as we usually are. There’s a stark difference in what show both of them preferred.

It’s nothing new either. Cathy Yan got an Emmy nomination after not being in the DGA 5 for Succession. Hunting even won after being snubbed.

Even with the increment in competition, OMITB made some other categories as well like Editing (twice), Costumes and Music when it missed at the guilds so there clearly has been a growth in support. It probably would have made Sound Editing and Cinematography too without panels blocking it.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

It probably would have made Sound Editing and Cinematography too without panels blocking it.

What would be the motivation of these two panels blocking OMITB? Indeed, what makes you say they blocked it at all?

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Blocked in the sense that it would have made it in on popular vote without panels intervening. Especially considering both of those categories are mostly made up of shows with very withered support. Same that happened with the likes of Succession and Game of Thrones in the past.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Blocked in the sense that it would have made it in on popular vote without panels intervening. Especially considering both of those categories are mostly made up of shows with very withered support. Same that happened with the likes of Succession and Game of Thrones in the past.

I don’t know exactly which categories are panel-nominated, but looking at those two categories I don’t see how one would expect OMITB to make it in? Other shows do exist.

Why would the panels of those two categories actively exclude OMITB/include a specific other show?

I just want to understand definitive language like “they blocked it” and ” it would have made it in on popular vote without panels intervening”. Do you mean “in my opinion” or that these are facts?

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

I don’t know exactly which categories are panel-nominated, but looking at those two categories I don’t see how one would expect OMITB to make it in? Other shows do exist. Why would the panels of those two categories actively exclude OMITB/include a specific other show? I just want to understand definitive language like “they blocked it” and ” it would have made it in on popular vote without panels intervening”. Do you mean “in my opinion” or that these are facts?

I have no idea how closely you follow Creative Arts categories or if at all but considering how narratively prominent and acclaimed OMITB’s sound design was and how it actually managed to win with that corresponding guild, a nom for Sound Editing was very expected for example. Dare I say it was the frontrunner there? And yes, there are a lot of shows out there but most of them aren’t close to being Emmy contenders. It’s not a surprise that it’s the categories that are not decided on popular vote where shows with barely any other noms consistently show up.

Asking why panels excluded/included something is a moot point since their choices are always going to be idiosyncratic and vary from panel to panel. Why did they give Game of Thrones 4 noms for S5 but only one for S6 and then zero for S7? Why did they exclude Barry only for its strongest season? It’s anyone’s guess.

The usage of the word blocking in regards to panels, especially for highly predicted nominees is very common so I don’t understand the confusion. Mulligan was blocked, Colman was blocked are phrases anyone here would have heard multiple times and I had already explained what I meant before.

I thought the use of ‘probably’ in my initial post was enough of an indication on my part that I was not making any definitive statement.  Even without all that, surely people here are discerning enough to know that when talking about what could have happened, it is our opinion and hence, always specifying the same can be redundant.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.