Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 13)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 500 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
String Cheese..
Brayfers

• MichelleReign
    Topics:

People Abbott deserves the casting win! Those kids are geniuses and really make up the show.

MichelleReign
    Topics:

Do you guys think Janella can overcome the vote split with Sherly Lee?

I think of past nominations from shows like Fleabag or Handmaid’s Tale, when the relatively younger unknown actress had much more powerful and standout performances, and yet they lost because of the presence of much older, experienced colleagues in the categories. (Sia Clifford and Olivia Colman. Ann Dowd and Yvonne)

It is easier for an industry darling or experience actor to overcome vote splits when they have the passion (Peter Dinklage) but vice versa is true only in exceptional cases (Jodie Comer over Sandra Oh)

Do you think this can be a Jodie Comer situation where passion can come through? If you have watched the show, it is so hard not to vote for James.

wolfali
    Topics:

I think whether Janelle James wins is dependent on how many votes each of the other contenders in the category are receiving. I’m assuming all of the women in that supporting actress category (aside from Sarah Niles) will be receiving a substantial number of votes even if the predictions centre top 3 of are the only ones who are truly win competitive (a lot of people are passionate about Sheryl Lee Ralph’s performance and she’s an overdue veteran, this was arguably Borstein’s most acclaimed season of Maisel, Temple has had a big year and like Ralph is a fan favourite and this is McKinnon’s final season of SNL) and like in 2019 it will just be the contender with the most consensus who comes out on top (which I’d assume would be Einbinder, as the only one who is both in a top series contender and isn’t facing internal competition, or Waddingham as the incumbent winner).

However I can also see a situation where Einbinder, James and Waddingham attract 70% of the vote (whilst the other 5 contenders in this category are fighting for the scraps) which would probably benefit James greatly as the contender with the most growing passion.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

CarlosEdu
    Topics:

Series is so hard, I want to put Abbott Elementary in #1 but it’s so strange because the show loses Directing and Editing nominations. For now Barry is my #1 but really not confident, I’m predicting Barry to win Actor and Directing but I could see Ted Lasso winning both too and probably Supporting categories.

Hacks is interesting, I think it has a potential to win Series because could win Actress and Writing (Supporting Actress and Directing aren’t impossible too) but Abbott Elementary seems very strong in those categories.

Only Murders In The Building got great nominations too but I don’t see this happening in any category.

ejaru1810
    Topics:

Series

Actor

Actress

Suppporting Actor

Supporting Actress

Guest Actor

Guest Actress

Directing

Writing

probablyROB
    Topics:

I really don’t think a show can win series this year while not winning writing or directing. I know it’s happened but it’s still super uncommon. This year is way too competitive.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

alittle03
    Topics:

Do you guys think Janella can overcome the vote split with Sherly Lee? I think of past nominations from shows like Fleabag or Handmaid’s Tale, when the relatively younger unknown actress had much more powerful and standout performances, and yet they lost because of the presence of much older, experienced colleagues in the categories. (Sia Clifford and Olivia Colman. Ann Dowd and Yvonne) It is easier for an industry darling or experience actor to overcome vote splits when they have the passion (Peter Dinklage) but vice versa is true only in exceptional cases (Jodie Comer over Sandra Oh) Do you think this can be a Jodie Comer situation where passion can come through? If you have watched the show, it is so hard not to vote for James.

Yeah, while I love Ralph and might say she might be my personal runner-up this year (followed by the ridiculously snubbed Sarah Goldberg…), I think when it comes to factoring in passion for the win, Janelle James has always seemed to me like way more of the audience favorite than Ralph is (not to suggest that Sheryl doesn’t get any viral tweets about her character or any publicity/memes, quite the opposite actually). I don’t think overcoming a vote split will be too hard for James since she seems to have more consensus in regards to acclaim (the TCA nom being the first official indicator of such IMO). It’s why I have her winning at the moment.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Gucci
    Topics:

Honey, only one black woman won Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series and Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series in 70 something years of this tired ass awards show’s existence. White privilege is real! 🤢

Onion
    Topics:

I love how so many people have liked the posts correcting me though 😂

Ted Lasso stans craving for you to be wrong.

Heptapod
    Topics:

I really don’t think a show can win series this year while not winning writing or directing. I know it’s happened but it’s still super uncommon. This year is way too competitive.

I agree, without there being votesplits in either category for Series win-competitive shows (sorry Only Murders), the Series winner will be winning at least one. I think at this point Writing is Quinta’s to lose, and while everyone WANTS Barry to be the Directing winner (including me), the fact the directors almost always go for the Series frontrunner makes me think they’ll default to Ted Lasso now that it only has one episode nominated.

FYC: The Bear (Ayo Edebiri) Industry (Marisa Abela) OMITB (Jayne Houdyshell) Physical (Rose Byrne) WWDITS (Natasia Demetriou)

Topics:

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think Sheryl Lee Ralph and Janelle James are a bit closer than people think though I do think James is ahead.

James has the quips and her character is hilarious but still feels a bit more like a walking meme to me (Ava feels like she needs another season).

Ralph’s character work to me is stronger and I think she’s also likely to pick up any votes that were directed at Lisa-Ann Walter who didn’t get in.

wolfali
    Topics:

Tbh I don’t really care who wins supporting actress at this point with Goldberg having been snubbed. She was already my personal winner after I finished this season of Barry but I don’t think I knew just how much passion I felt towards her performance until she was snubbed.

That’s not a slight on any of the other nominated performances  (I thought Borstein, Einbinder, James, Ralph and Waddingham were win worthy in their own right and I’d easily nominate each of them) but I just feel apathy looking at that line-up.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Topics:
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.