Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 4)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 522 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
methaddiction
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

And here’s the poster for The Great

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

My worry about Atlanta is the delay, is not a show many are expecting to come back, not the people, not the industry, it’s just not there, i barely hear anyone talk about it. Succession likewise, only has 66k IMDB votes, but we for sure hear a lot about it, and we heard and heard over their 2 year break. I think the show will follow the Shadows route, be VERY acclaimed and fight for a nod, i don’t know if the guilds are paying much attention to it anymore either.

It also doesn’t help that the television landscape has almost completely changed since the last time Atlanta was on air. It last competed in a field where it’s main non Maisel/Barry contenders were the likes of Black-ishGLOWSilicon Valley and Unbreakable Kimmy SchmidtTed LassoHacks, Only Murders in the Building, <i>The Great</i>, Russian Dll etc didn’t exist. Barry and Master of None were the only major male auteur driven shows. Donald Glover had a slew of popular music and film projects going on concurrent to season 2 of Atlanta and now he’s coming into season 3 with Atlanta season 2 being the most recent thing he’s done which essentially means the expectations are high.

I definitely think it will get nominated if season 3 is well received like 1 and 2 were (the spring release will likely also help it) but if Veep can collapse in support so easily after three consecutive series wins and six consecutive actress wins for a final season that literally had a Metacritic score with a difference of one point for seasons 5 and 6… then I can definitely see a world where Atlanta struggles due to the hiatus and the rise of other contenders.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby/Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion/Rebecca Hall/Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch/Andrew Garfield/Winston Duke
    Actress: Olivia Colman/Kristen Stewart/Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant/Troy Kotsur/Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Claire Foy/Jayne Houdyshell/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva B

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Barry might have the same problems as Atlanta but I’m more confident in the former because HBO could get a CW show nominated everywhere if they wanted 💀

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Barry might have the same problems as Atlanta but I’m more confident in the former because HBO could get a CW show nominated everywhere if they wanted 💀

Barry was also so strong the last time it competed (sure Fleabag was ineligible but Barrys’ DGA and WGA wins over such tough competition is still a huge flex).

I honestly think (unless it gets panned) it arguably seems to be in a similar situation as Succession. It really exploded in passion with season 2 and people have been so eagerly awaiting it (I’ve seen lots of people including the likes of some of the breakthrough cast members of Squid Game, Michaela Coel, Jesse Armstrong and more talk about it in interviews during the show’s hiatus).

FYC:
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Claire Foy/Jayne Houdyshell/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

That and the fact that Barry grew with support for S2, while Atlanta didn’t.

HBO can still fail with shows hun, just don’t RUN for this fact.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

That and the fact that Barry grew with support for S2, while Atlanta didn’t. HBO can still fail with shows hun, just don’t RUN for this fact.

Merritt Weaver is in her struggle era I fear..

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Merritt Weaver is in her struggle era I fear..

Tbf she was done dirty by the industry with Unbelievable and before that she won with Godless so she’s fine, we don’t count RUN as a thing here.

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

That and the fact that Barry grew with support for S2, while Atlanta didn’t.

It literally went from 6 to 16 nominations?

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Don’t give them ideas…

GossipGirl

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

It literally went from 6 to 16 nominations?

Season 1 won for Actor and Directing
    Season 2 has a Guest Actor win and zero ATL wins.

Likewise it swept the guilds for S1 while it wasn’t even nominated in some for S2 and lost all of them.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

It kinda reminds me of Handmaid’s Tale
    S2 had way more nods but S1 was the one who swept, and we saw how that turned out for S3 of that show.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Donald Glover had a slew of popular music and film projects going on concurrent to season 2 of Atlanta and now he’s coming into season 3 with Atlanta season 2 being the most recent thing he’s done which essentially means the expectations are high.

I think this is fairly valid. Atlanta S1 came out not long after Community ended and if I recalled S2 aired during the promotion of a Star Wars film. Glover’s stocks were sky high. Atlanta also have significant internal competition this time around.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Season 1 won for Actor and Directing
    Season 2 has a Guest Actor win and zero ATL wins.

Likewise it swept the guilds for S1 while it wasn’t even nominated in some for S2 and lost all of them.

And the second season was vastly more acclaimed and buzzier, especially because of the Teddy Perkins episode.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t think it will be a series contender (unless it ends up being a massive hit) but I think we should watch out for Amy Schumer for the nomination if Life + Beth ends up being acclaimed and makes eligibility. The academy have shown how much they like to nominate lead comedy performers (and most specifically) auteurs they’ve nominated in the past when they go onto new projects.

FYC:

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I don’t think it will be a series contender (unless it ends up being a massive hit) but I think we should watch out for Amy Schumer for the nomination

Do we know when this is out?

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 522 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.