Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 5)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 497 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
Victor
  • Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

As I said in my post about the supporting actress race I’m really torn when it comes to Cecily. We know she hasn’t managed to make it into more competitive fields in the past but it really feels like since her first nomination (of course not as a result of her nomination lol) people have become more fond of her work on the show.

I think she is also probably also helped by Schmigadoon which won’t get in but was really quite well received.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

This isn’t really about awards chances but does anyone else kind of feel like Elle Fanning has been everywhere since the first season of The Great was released? Obviously she’s been working consistently since she was a child so I doubt it was that much of a career boost but she keeps getting cast in baity key and/or leading roles (whether in another Hulu show or Barry Levinson’s Godfather film) and she just seems to be quite visible in general.

It’s interesting because I don’t think I’ve really seen any of the people who are “contenders” in the actress category have that much visibility whilst their shows haven’t been on air other than Smart and maybe Applegate.

Also as an aside whilst What We Do in the Shadows hasn’t been performing that well on IMDB’s charts, both Natasia Demetriou and Kayvan Novak have been performing quite well on IMDB’s star-meter. Demetriou is currently at 26 on there whilst Novak peaked in the top 100 for whilst season 3 was airing (71st). His peak for season 2 was 388th.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

This better get the final season sentimental vote

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Shalita Grant was so robbed last year. One of the best guest performances ever.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Kayvan Novak have been performing quite well on IMDB’s star-meter. Demetriou is currently at 26 on there whilst Novak peaked in the top 100 for whilst season 3 was airing (71st). His peak for season 2 was 388th.

Hmm..I don’t know.

I find StarMeter such a weird measure. It’s a bit too temperamental on a week by week basis and will peak for random things (holiday movies, birthdays, young pop-culture type people being generally in the public eye). I tend to find “suddenly starts peaking high having never done before” or “turns up consistently high despite no other measures” is not a bad sign – for instance Hannah Waddingham is now very consistently high, Page and Taylor Joy were at number 1 for 8 weeks, and Julia Garner was at #2 and #1 for 8 weeks consecutive to her Emmy wins (the latter two you’d never know from say, their Instagram followers,  which suggests maybe older male viewers were looking them up).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Hmm..I don’t know.

I find StarMeter such a weird measure. It’s a bit too temperamental on a week by week basis and will peak for random things (holiday movies, birthdays, young pop-culture type people being generally in the public eye). I tend to find “suddenly starts peaking high having never done before” or “turns up consistently high despite no other measures” is not a bad sign – for instance Hannah Waddingham is now very consistently high, Page and Taylor Joy were at number 1 for 8 weeks, and Julia Garner was at #2 and #1 for 8 weeks consecutive to her Emmy wins (the latter two you’d never know from say, their Instagram followers, which suggests maybe older male viewers were looking them up).

Sure and I do understand what you’re saying but at the same time I feel like the fact Demetriou and Novak were/are really being looked up so much whilst season 3 was airing (and in Novak’s case more so than he was for season 2) even as the other three main cast members of the show have been lucky to even make it into the top 500 and the show itself hasn’t been searched up so much has to mean something at least.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

I was finally able to watch The Other Two and you guys were right… it should be sweeping.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I was finally able to watch The Other Two and you guys were right… it should be sweeping.

Helene Yorke should be a frontrunner to WIN comedy actress yet she probably won’t even be nominated. I hate it here.

FYC:

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Sure and I do understand what you’re saying but at the same time I feel like the fact Demetriou and Novak were/are really being looked up so much whilst season 3 was airing (and in Novak’s case more so than he was for season 2) even as the other three main cast members of the show have been lucky to even make it into the top 500 and the show itself hasn’t been searched up so much has to mean something at least.

Oh I’m not saying disregard it –  more just maybe monitor it a couple of weeks after it’s not airing to see if he’s sticking people’s mind past the immediate air date.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Oh I’m not saying disregard it – more just maybe monitor it a couple of weeks after it’s not airing to see if he’s sticking people’s mind past the immediate air date.

Oh I agree with that haha.

Just for clarification I wasn’t mentioning that with regards to awards but more that the disparity between the searches for Demetriou and Novak with Berry, Proksch and Guillen is interesting.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Tjuz
    Topics:

This better get the final season sentimental vote https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Search Party deserved the comedy series win for season 3 this year. One of the best seasons of comedy I’ve ever seen. It was robbed.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I was moaning about Maisel and Atlanta going to the spring because there really seemed like no other reason for them to do so other than a thirst for awards nominations but looking at the underwhelming buzz InsecureWhat We Do in the Shadows and Curb Your Enthusiasm have had so far I now understand why lol.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Cecily really is Waddingham’s biggest threat as it stands now. I still feel comfortable predicting Waddingham for a repeat (especially with season 3 promoting/airing right during voting), but if Cecily gets a few more moments like the clown segment during the last couple months of the season she could really be a challenger. ESPECIALLY if it’s her last season.

FYC: PHYSICAL (Rose Byrne) THE SEX LIVES OF COLLEGE GIRLS (Amrit Kaur, Renee Rapp) YELLOWJACKETS (Samantha Hanratty, Christina Ricci) THE OTHER TWO (Drew Tarver, Helene Yorke) THE GREAT (Elle Fanning) BETTER THINGS (Pamela Adlon)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Cecily winning would be interesting. I wouldn’t mind seeing it but I think what partly hurt her last year was that she lost momentum as the season progressed because of Hacks and Ted Lasso (and Waddingham and Einbinder) peaking right during voting and SNL feeling like I distant memory by voting. That’s something that could plausibly happen again and it doesn’t really help we have a lot of top comedy contenders airing late this season. I’m open to being convinced if it’s her final season but if McKinnon is also leaving… it feels like it might be a hurdle.

I know it’s only November and I’m probably getting ahead of myself but I’m starting to really feel like if we end up with a lineup of a combination of Beetz, Borstein, Einbinder, Goldberg, Hinkle, McKinnon, Strong, Temple, Waddingham that Waddingham will repeat. And I say this as someone who is a bit shaky on Ted Lasso repeating in comedy series. She kind of reminds me of Alex Borstein. She’s the incumbent winner from the show that has just won comedy series (and will likely grow in nominations) but also her profile as a performer has only grown. Both in fame and also just how beloved they are. I also think Beetz, Einbinder, Goldberg and Temple could all be hurt by sharing the same voter pool so she could benefit from a divided field.

It will be interesting to see if Annie Murphy is a contender for Russian Doll. She could really shake up this race.

FYC:

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Juno Temple, Hannah Waddingham, Sarah Niles, Alex Borstein, Zazie Beetz, Sarah Goldberg, Amy Ryan, Cecily Strong.. I would like to see it.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 497 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.