Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 5)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 499 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
Victor
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Maisel returns February 18. Doing weekly release, 2 episodes for 4 weeks.

A weekly release is clever on Amazon’s part but why they are releasing 2 episodes per week? That will only take them up to March 11th…

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Comedy G. Actress

1. Maya Rudolph, Saturday Night Live – The incumbent two time champ in this category and partner of revered director Paul Thomas Anderson. Could three-peat.

2. Tina Fey, Only Murders in the BuildingOnly Murders in the Building is a likely series nominee and… she’s Tina Fey. She missed for Girls5Eva and the second go round for Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt but the television academy didn’t care for either of those shows and the hype for her impressions were very internet based. With Only Murders in the Building season 2 airing during voting she could arguably take down Rudolph with her role looking to be larger.

3. Harriet Walter, Ted Lasso – Her character was one of the most talked about elements of Ted Lasso season 2 but she also has a lot of visibility to her advantage. Partly due to Succession but also her name will be one of the first on the ballot.

4. Jane Adams, Hacks – She already made it in last year and her show is probably only going to grow this season with greater visibility, it coming off the back of three big above the line Emmy wins and a spring release.

5. Gillian Anderson, The Great – I don’t think The Great will be able to get anyone outside of Elle and Nicholas in the main acting categories but this isn’t a main acting category. The guest categories are the most name-checky and Anderson’s name is on most of Hollywood’s lips after The Crown and her win last season. Add that she’ll also be on the ballot for The First Lady and Hulu have been marketing her appearance here a lot.

6. Jane Lynch, Only Murders in the Building – She’s someone quite familiar to Emmy voters on a show that Emmy voters will most likely have seen and could embrace in a big way. Only strike against her though is that her individual support might not be as strong as it once was which can really hurt her in such a stacked field. She’s been continuously missing for her hosting gigs since 2018 and she missed for Maisel last go round.

7. Kelly Bishop, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – Visibility but also the announcement of her guest appearance seems to have generated some excitement. I guess I have her missing right now because of sight unseen and because whilst nothing feels unknown about Maisel season 4’s creative direction, I’m not sure how it will perform. It could get a whole load of nominations again with a spring release date. Or it could fail to get new guests in. I guess Bishop not being a previous nominee doesn’t really help her.

8. Chloe Sevigny, Russian Doll – She has the advantage of Russian Doll season 1 actually having been seen by voters at this point but the question is whether <i>Russian Doll</i> season 2 is a contender or not.

9. Tracey Ullman, Curb Your Enthusiasm – Veteran character actress and Emmy favourite guesting on a show that has showed up in the guest categories a few times over the years.

10. Hannah Waddingham, Sex Education – She’ll be win competitive again for Ted Lasso and is someone the industry is even more familiar with this year. Would be predicting her if the academy hadn’t ignored Sex Education in the past.

11. Kaley Cuoco, Curb Your Enthusiasm – We’ve seen after glow nominations happen in these categories after performers have had a breakthrough on the comedy side recently (Donald Glover, Dan Levy, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Issa Rae) and if The Flight Attendant season 2 makes eligibility there’s a chance she could be win competitive again which could help her here.

12. Da’Vine Joy Randolph, Only Murders in the Building – If voters go all out for Only Murders in the Building she could come along for the ride. I guess her lack of awards history and the fact she’s not in the best place alphabetically on the ballot suggests she’s someone whose chances are more reliant on that of their show’s.

13. Ellie Taylor, Ted Lasso – Voters like playing catch up with performances in comedy series winners that have missed the nomination.

14. Julie Bowen, Curb Your Enthusiasm – A 2 time Emmy winner guesting on an Emmy nominated show. I guess there isn’t really much reason for her to happen though because she isn’t an actors branch favourite like Ullman nor is she Emmy eligible for another project like Hader but the guest categories are bat s**t crazy lol.

15. Dolly Parton, Grace and Frankie – Well the television academy loves themselves some Parton.

FYC:

Profile picture
    VINCE
    Topics:

Is The White Lotus moving to comedy??

MARIAH CAREY

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

HBO are determined to keep it in Limited right now and are keeping tight lipped on the extent to the “anthology” aspect of S2. Unless Coolidge or someone says that Tanya is explicitly coming back, I think it’s safe to assume it’s staying in Limited.

Emmy-wise it’s probably best to stay in Limited anyways, since HBO currently have 4 incumbent Series nominees (Curb, Barry, Hacks and Insecure), potentially five if Flight Attendant finished in time.

Oscars FYC:

"Lamb" – International Feature and all categories

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

Kevin Can F**k Himself to End With Season 2 at AMC: https://tvline.com/2021/11/30/kevin-can-f-himself-ending-no-season-3-amc/

Profile picture
    ricardo505
    Topics:

Comedy G. Actress

I think you’re playing too safe in this category, wolfali (at least for nominations).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think you’re playing too safe in this category, wolfali (at least for nominations).

Interesting! Would you mind explaining how so and what you would recommend predicting instead? I’m interested to hear alternative arguments.

FYC:

Profile picture
    J
    Topics:

What are your guys thoughts on Selena Gomez actually winning? She will definitely get nominated and she’s definitely been the most talked about and most praised out of this season but that always happens during a shows 1st season especially when it’s an international pop star returning to her roots in TV. I just don’t know how strong her performance was to actually win. Zendaya won for her first acclaimed and big TV role outside of Disney TV and this is Selena’s as well so she’s got that going for her at least? What’s are your thoughts though and do you guys think she’s deserving?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Selena Gomez will definitely get nominated but she won’t win unless one of Short/Martin do and/or Only Murders in the Building wins series. She was great on the show and she has great notices but her individual notices aren’t anywhere near as strong as either of the two male leads are and whilst she is a lead of Only Murders in the Building, she isn’t really at the heart of the show like Zendaya was with Euphoria.

Jean Smart is going to sweep the winter awards which is probably going to help reinforce her position for a repeat win if Hacks makes eligibility and is as strong a contender as it was last year. Although I guess we should watch out for someone like Lyonne or Maslany as a potential challenger if Russian Doll or She-Hulk take off.

FYC:

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

A weekly release is clever on Amazon’s part but why they are releasing 2 episodes per week? That will only take them up to March 11th…

My guess would be because they want another weekly release to go after it.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

I see that the girls have woken up about Selena getting a nomination huh?

Profile picture
    Jojo1
    Topics:

Insecure going viral

https://twitter.com/fuccl/status/1465742541899374593?s=21

Profile picture
    ricardo505
    Topics:

Interesting! Would you mind explaining how so and what you would recommend predicting instead? I’m interested to hear alternative arguments.

They always have at least one nominee in this category that almost nobody predicted (or it “looks” like this) – but maybe I’m wrong.
    Few examples: Melora Hardin, Becky Ann Baker, Jane Adams, Pamela Adlon

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

They always have at least one nominee in this category that almost nobody predicted (or it “looks” like this) – but maybe I’m wrong. Few examples: Melora Hardin, Becky Ann Baker, Jane Adams, Pamela Adlon

Gotcha.

With the guest categories I take in a range of factors with my predictions, most specifically alphabetical placement on the ballot. For example I predicted Jane Adams last year and have Tracey Ullman in my top 10 this year for those reasons. It’s also what I’d argue favoured each of the names you’ve listed.

FYC:

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

What are your guys thoughts on Selena Gomez actually winning? She will definitely get nominated and she’s definitely been the most talked about and most praised out of this season but that always happens during a shows 1st season especially when it’s an international pop star returning to her roots in TV. I just don’t know how strong her performance was to actually win. Zendaya won for her first acclaimed and big TV role outside of Disney TV and this is Selena’s as well so she’s got that going for her at least? What’s are your thoughts though and do you guys think she’s deserving?

Honestly, I don’t even have her as a nominee, she was my least favorite character of the 3 leads and while she was good with what was given to her, I really don’t understand why the critics praised her a lot.

I was thinking that in case Smart is uneligible, Cuoco wins, TFA could return in a very good time during next year and if Smart sweeps the winter awards, Kaley could build momentum and narrative for the win, if both Cuoco and Smart are uneligible, Brosnahan could repeat or Waddingham could be moved to Lead and be a huge threat for the win. Selena to me seems more like a “the nomination is enough” kind of nominee

I have Brosnahan, Lyonne, Cuoco, Smart, Rae and Ellis Ross at the moment, with Maslany (i think Disney will campaign hard for her), Oh, Fanning and Gomez as possibilities if some of my top 6 are not eligible. Also I wouldn’t be surprised if Sarah Jessica Parker is nominated too or Waddingham if she’s moved to Lead.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.