Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 5)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 499 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
Victor
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Already been said here but I really wish DeBose could translate her Oscar buzz to some nods for her master work on Schmigadoon!

It's all about Ethan Hawke!

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Completely irrelevant but Gomez just won female TV star at People’s Choice (Hiddleston won for Loki)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Well there’s no question Gillian Anderson is doing a good job at telling her followers she’s in season 2 of The Great.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I think The Great should be fine but i wonder why critics cared so little about it. Only 7 reviews on MC while Season 1 had 33.

It's all about Ethan Hawke!

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think The Great should be fine but i wonder why critics cared so little about it. Only 7 reviews on MC while Season 1 had 33.

I mostly don’t think this was the greatest release date for it, but I also understand why they went for it given winter awards were more generous than summer.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think the November release is intentional on Hulu’s part. Let’s not forget that in spite of having stronger critical buzz that The Great got shut out in acting and missed series because voters hadn’t seen the show yet. Its buzz peaked later and voters caught up with season 1 later as evidenced by its ability to get two SAG nominations over shows that got comedy series nominations over it.

Voters will be/are catching up on season 2. It’s something that is evident from how much industry support both actors got on their posts about the season when it dropped and from the fact the show’s overall IMDB vote total has increased by 5k since the season dropped. That visibility will only increase over this month because people will binge it as a box set over the Christmas/New Years period and will increase when Hulu campaign for the show over the Emmy FYC season.

I think SAG will be an interesting one to see because I can see it under-performing there because of the late release but if both Elle and Nicholas got in there this time round I don’t think either of them will miss at the Emmys. They would not only have goodwill (which is key in these comedy categories in particular) but they would also have strong enough industry support and visibility.

FYC:

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think the November release is intentional on Hulu’s part. Let’s not forget that in spite of having stronger critical buzz that The Great got shut out in acting and missed series because voters hadn’t seen the show yet.

I just think it’s probably more targeted around audience visibility than critics. It’s not a great date for critics because these last few months have been jam packed with last minute releases and there’s only so many screeners a critic can watch.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I just think it’s probably more targeted around audience visibility than critics. It’s not a great date for critics because these last few months have been jam packed with last minute releases and there’s only so many screeners a critic can watch.

Oh I definitely agree with that.

I also can see why it wasn’t reviewed so much with critics because of the gap between the seasons and the fact it’s neither a new show nor one that has just had an Emmy breakthrough.

FYC:

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

The Great will hopefully be a slow burn that will gradually pick up steam through word of mouth like S1 of Ted Lasso did. It’s so worth it. S2 is even better than S1 imo.

Best Supporting Actress - Kathryn Hunter, Ann Dowd, Martha Plimpton, Judi Dench, Ruth Negga
    Best Supporting Actor - Troy Katsur, Ciarán Hinds, Alex Hassell, Bertie Carvel
    Best Actress - Tessa Thompson
    The Tragedy of Macbeth in Directing, Production Design, Cinematography and thee Kathryn Hunter
    Mass in Original Screenplay

The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s not going to pick up word of mouth like Ted Lasso did (largely because it isn’t the type of show that I can see audiences getting particularly excited about) but I can definitely see it taking the comedy series prize in another Emmy cycle if it continues growing like a lot of contenders have under this voting system in both comedy and drama.

FYC:

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I think Hulu should run Selena in Supporting purely because I feel like the lead categories prioritize ladies who command their shows and whose shows centers around them, not always when they’re part of big ensembles. And between Jean, Kaley, Issa Rae, Natasha Lyonne, Elle Fanning, Rachel Brosnahan and the very small possibility of Tracee Ellis Ross (if they want to give some love for Black-ish’s final season), this season is stacked of those.

Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

Finished The Great S2. If either Hoult or Fanning get snubbed, we should cancel the entire awards show (and Bromilow deserves to be in the conversation).

YES!!!!! Bromilow was one of the best parts of the season in my opinion.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Hulu should run Selena in Supporting purely because I feel like the lead categories prioritize ladies who command their shows and whose shows centers around them, not always when they’re part of big ensembles. And between Jean, Kaley, Issa Rae, Natasha Lyonne, Elle Fanning, Rachel Brosnahan and the very small possibility of Tracee Ellis Ross (if they want to give some love for Black-ish’s final season), this season is stacked of those.

I think Selena can definitely get in over most of the names you mentioned (although rn I don’t think she’s ahead of Brosnahan, Cuoco or Smart). However what I will say is that she seems to be more dependent on Only Murders in the Building‘s strength as a series contender which I don’t think either Short or Martin are reliant on.

FYC:

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

After the Grammy nom, Chenoweth at CC and now AFI, is Schmigadoon stronger than we realised? It’ll likely perform well at craft guilds and Sonnefield could be a dark horse at DGA (he recently got in Children’s Program for Unfortunate Events)

Oscars FYC:

"Lamb" – International Feature and all categories

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

After the Grammy nom, Chenoweth at CC and now AFI, is Schmigadoon stronger than we realised? It’ll likely perform well at craft guilds and Sonnefield could be a dark horse at DGA (he recently got in Children’s Program for Unfortunate Events)

Sonnefield’s a good pick, actually. I thought that Children’s Program placement for Unfortunate Events was the most borderline Children’s placement in years

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.