Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 5)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 499 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
Victor
  • Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I also think Schmigadoon benefits from mid-cycle buzz because it’s a quick, easy, light binge, and Kristen Chenoweth is exactly the type of person who benefits from campaigning. Plus she’s been nominated in comedy before.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m still sceptical of Schmigadoon. It’s very slight as a programme so even if voters do catch up on it I can see it being quickly forgotten with this stacked a field. I also think it’s quite telling that AppleTV have only managed to get The Morning Show and Ted Lasso nominations above the line. DickinsonFor All Mankind and Mythic Quest all have strong critical support and are led by performers who are fairly familiar to the industry, Rose Byrne’s performance in Physical has a lot of passion and people seem to be enjoying Acapulco but none of these shows are able to make it in because their followings seem to be more cult than mainstream. A show starring Will Ferrell, Kathryn Hahn and Paul Rudd should be a massive hit regardless of critical reception yet no one even knows it exists. With Apple unless everyone is talking about your show it’s hard to get any wide amount of attention. I anticipate Schmigadoon will fall into the same category in spite of its strong cast.

That being said I do think the show will do very well below the line and I won’t be surprised if Short and/or Krakowski turn up in guest.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

And Just Like That reviews from Variety EW and Indiewire

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Independent: 80
    Chicago Sun Times: 75
    TV Line: 75
    Indiewire: 67
    EW: 67
    Chicago Tribune: 50
    Telegraph: 40

THR: Positive
    Variety: Negative
    Deadline: Mixed
    The Wrap: Positive
    The Washington Post: Negative

The most things common I’ve read across all of them is that the show is very somber and not really funny. Also, quite different from the original series. Its attempt to address its whiteness comes across as forced.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

The most things common I’ve read across all of them is that the show is very somber and not really funny. Also, quite different from the original series. Its attempt to address its whiteness comes across as forced.

Yeah, there’s a fairly strong thread of those three things across almost every review. They’re remarkably similar. Apparently crashed the HBO Max app though, but the choice to embargo reviews until basically the moment of release was telling.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

It’s not going to pick up word of mouth like Ted Lasso did (largely because it isn’t the type of show that I can see audiences getting particularly excited about) but I can definitely see it taking the comedy series prize in another Emmy cycle if it continues growing like a lot of contenders have under this voting system in both comedy and drama.

It’s got a LOT of hype in my world “women history nerds over the age of 35”.

Best Supporting Actress - Kathryn Hunter, Ann Dowd, Martha Plimpton, Judi Dench, Ruth Negga
    Best Supporting Actor - Troy Katsur, Ciarán Hinds, Alex Hassell, Bertie Carvel
    Best Actress - Tessa Thompson
    The Tragedy of Macbeth in Directing, Production Design, Cinematography and thee Kathryn Hunter
    Mass in Original Screenplay

The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing

Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

The Sex Lives of College Girls is probably getting the same treatment as Sex Education Emmys-wise, but it really shouldn’t. It’s such a fun show with strong topics and compelling characters who are written very carefully. The entire season is out and will probably be one of the strongest seasons of the cycle.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

The Sex Lives of College Girls is probably getting the same treatment as Sex Education Emmys-wise, but it really shouldn’t. It’s such a fun show with strong topics and compelling characters who are written very carefully. The entire season is out and will probably be one of the strongest seasons of the cycle.

It’s also already been renewed.

You would never know Kaling has been co-creator of about ten seasons of TV since The Office from, say, Twitter – she’s underrated IMHO.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m shocked people are surprised that And Just Like That…‘s reviews aren’t exactly the most positive. It’s show-ran by the person who wrote and directed both of the two Sex and the City films and the whole aim of the show (like Dexter : New Blood) was to be a commercial endeavour rather than an awards one.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

Season 2 of Resident Alien is set to premiere Wednesday, Jan. 26 at 9/8c, Syfy announced Thursday.

The premiere will be simulcasted on both USA Network and Syfy, while the remainder of episodes will air solely on the latter network. The season will be split in two, with Part 1 concluding March 16 and additional episodes following in the summer.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

It’s getting simulcasted on USA? That’s odd, I get why Chucky done that, but Resident Alien was already only a SyFy show, and USA/Comcast have made it no secret that their not interested in producing Scripted Original programming anymore.

Anyways, excited it’s coming back and time for me to hopedict an Alex Borstein namecheck Guest nom.

Oscars FYC:

"Lamb" – International Feature and all categories

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    Pranshu
    Topics:

Annie Murphy, John Cho & Christine Baranski Star In Animated Series ‘Praise Petey’ From Anna Drezen For Freeform As Network Takes Another Crack At Genre

Freeform so probably not happening awards-wise but I’m stoked at the prospect of Annie Murphy & Christine Baranski working together in some capacity.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

It’s getting simulcasted on USA? That’s odd, I get why Chucky done that, but Resident Alien was already only a SyFy show, and USA/Comcast have made it no secret that their not interested in producing Scripted Original programming anymore. Anyways, excited it’s coming back and time for me to hopedict an Alex Borstein namecheck Guest nom.

He’s so good in this. That character could be intolerable but he has struck the balance incredibly well. I watched this a home-sick-from-work binge and it was such a fun hang (I do understand why the show wouldn’t get in, though)

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I’m shocked people are surprised that And Just Like That…‘s reviews aren’t exactly the most positive. It’s show-ran by the person who wrote and directed both of the two Sex and the City films and the whole aim of the show (like Dexter : New Blood) was to be a commercial endeavour rather than an awards one.

I wasn’t exactly expecting it to be a slam dunk (I’m not and have never been a massive fan of the original, but I don’t hate it, though I do think it’s dated) but the integration of the diversity stuff is badly done. Also FFS someone needs to get Karen Pittman out of these roles where the writers act like she’s a  chore/diversity quota.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Quinta Brunson’s Abbott Elementary (she wrote and stars in it) on ABC has some very good early reviews for a network comedy 7.6 on IMDB, 100 on RT, 76 on Metacritic and really good Twitter comments. Apparently this only airs the pilot this month and starts the season proper in January.

They like their writer-actor combos so this might be one to keep an eye on next year given it’s not entirely clear when they’re going to pull the pin on network comedies.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.