Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 5)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 464 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
5 hours ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
Victor
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Shamelessly not about predictions, but goddammit Waddingham

https://twitter.com/hanwaddingham/status/1452410894256943106?s=20

You should check out her contributions to the West End revival of The Wizard of Oz. The range this woman has in her singing voice is absolutely incredible!

FYC:
    Picture: Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby/Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion/Rebecca Hall/Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch/Andrew Garfield/Winston Duke
    Actress: Olivia Colman/Kristen Stewart/Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant/Troy Kotsur/Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Claire Foy/Jayne Houdyshell/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva B

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Shamelessly not about predictions, but goddammit Waddingham

https://twitter.com/hanwaddingham/status/1452410894256943106?s=20

Coming for the Grammys and midway through EGOT.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Were Insecure and Curb shown to critics? Neither of them debuted yet even on RT.
    Weird

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Were Insecure and Curb shown to critics? Neither of them debuted yet even on RT. Weird

Curb had a premiere and Insecure definitely has a few reviews floating around so I presume so

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

Curb doesn’t send screeners

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Curb doesn’t send screeners

Ah it’s been a while not surprised

Insecure yes though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think from some of the promo HBO might be re-campaigning The Righteous Gemstones for S2

(I enjoy this show for what it’s worth)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

They spent a lot of time with The Righteous Gemstones on that thing.
    Lol i wonder if they’ll push this.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

In all fairness they probably didn’t have enough footage of something like Barry for that teaser.

FYC:
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Claire Foy/Jayne Houdyshell/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

In all fairness they probably didn’t have enough footage of something like Barry for that teaser.

Edi Patterson deserves for Righteous Gemstones. If she went supporting (she’s very Snook borderline) she’s stronger than Sarah Goldberg in my opinion.

To be honest it was quite well reviewed and audience scores are solid and it gives them a male led alt to Barry if it misses years.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Lol i wonder if they’ll push this.

Hope so, the show is criminally underrated and Misbehavin’ was robbed of an Original Music & Lyrics nom last year.

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Insecure 80 on MC – Must Watch badge
    Curb 89 on MC – Must Watch badge

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Other Two is finally on HBO Max’s fyc page. Although listed behind Genera+ion and Made for Love

https://www.hbomaxfyc.com/home

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

“The Wonder Years” and “Home Economics” get 22-season orders from ABC

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Comedy Actress

(Assuming The Flight Attendant and Dead to Me miss eligibility)

1. Jean Smart, Hacks – The incumbent winner. Will only be helped with a spring release.

2. Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs Maisel – She feels like the Sterling K. Brown of this category. An Emmy winning lead actor who has been rising in prominence and status really from the moment they received their first ever nominations, one of the first names on the ballot and likely has been second/third for seasons post their Emmy win. Really I don’t see her missing even if Maisel season 4 ends up under-performing although that being said I don’t see her winning again in any case for this role either (apart from maybe the final season of the show).

3. Selena Gomez, Only Murders in the Building – At this moment in time when it comes to the nomination there feels like a drop off here because there feels like there is a lack of previous awards history and/or are so many unknowns for every non Brosnahan/Smart nominations contender in this race. Right now I’d say this feels like the perfect place to have her. Only Murders in the Building no matter how big or small it ends up being will undoubtedly be a contender and right now it feels like it will be more of the former than the latter. She doesn’t strike me as someone who can win unless the show sweeps (purely because she’s almost like the 3rd lead of the show) but I do feel like there is a bit of a narrative here for the nomination. She’s someone who a lot voters will know has essentially grown up on television due to being a former Disney star (a bit like Zendaya) but also I think there is genuine excitement towards her performance because she’s somehow managed to steal some scenes from two comedic legends. The winter awards will let us know how big a contender Only Murders in the Building is but if she gets in everywhere at the winter awards it’s hard to really see why she’ll crumble at the last minute.

4. Elle Fanning, The Great – I’ve gone into enough detail about my “more optimistic than others” approach when it comes to predicting The Great and its awards chances but if she makes SAG this year I’d honestly argue she may even be likelier for the nomination than Hoult is. She did make it in at TCA after all so the individual support is there and her category now seems to be more “wide open” than his which wasn’t the case when he got nominated at SAG and she missed for season 1.

5. Natasha Lyonne, Russian Doll – The actors branch love their auteurs and if it delivers in quality Russian Doll seems primed to be Netflix’s biggest card this season. Also helps that it will be a Spring release and Lyonne’s star has risen a lot since season 1.

6. Issa Rae, Insecure – On the one hand she’s an auteur who has a final season narrative and with how Insecure broke through last season it feels implausible that she’d be this low in the race but on the other that was the first (and only) time the show has aired in the spring, it’s now airing in the autumn and the show really under-performed at the guilds last time round. I do feel like if any aspect of the show holds on here it will be her so I do think she’s still a strong contender to make it back in here. The winter awards and whether The Flight Attendant makes eligibility (and how big a contender it is) will be key here.

7. Tracee Ellis Ross, Black-ish – She’s already missed before in an insanely strong field. Although she was arguably seventh in that field and unlike then she now has a season airing exclusively in the spring as well as a final season narrative. I currently have Anthony Anderson getting snubbed because of how competitive the actor field is looking this year but a nomination is definitely on the table for here if he gets in as always.

8. Pamela Adlon, Better Things – Another auteur with a potential final season narrative. I can kind of see the actors branch returning to her as a sentimental choice like they did with William H Macy last year but she’s competing in a competitive field whilst he was competing in a weak one.

9. Tatiana Maslany, She-Hulk – An Emmy winner in an homage to legal comedies. That’s essentially what She-Hulk‘s going to be referred as in the industry trades when it comes out. I don’t think shows do well purely because they are popular (and I’m not particularly high Emmy wise about pretty much every other upcoming Marvel show) but I do think there could be a lot of appeal here. With how the actors branch as of late has responded to “high profile” actors who have found their footing in television when they’re in new drama and comedy projects as of late, I can see Maslany be a late-breaker here à la Christina Applegate a few years ago.

10. Devery Jacobs, Reservation Dogs – I was a bit shocked she made it in at the Gothams (before I proceed I’d like to state that I don’t have her in my top 10 because she got in at the Gothams) after starting the show because she feels very much like a secondary lead but Reservation Dogs has a lot of critical buzz, seems to be growing in industry visibility with each passing day and seems like a strong contender for a new series nomination at WGA. With all of that and the amount of campaigning FX seems to be doing and will do for it, I can see a scenario where it breaks through on nominations day with a series nomination and then a writing nod nods and/or nods for both its leads. At the moment that thought seems very delusional to even myself but depending on how the season goes I can definitely see it happen. It probably helps in Jacobs’ case she’s actually more established than one would think (having worked with so many people in the industry since she was 14, which was in 2007).

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 464 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.