Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 6)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 388 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 day ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    showfinatic
    Topics:

Sort of off topic, but I have yet to watch Hacks. I watched the trailer and it seemed so lackluster. Is it worth it?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Is it worth it?

Yes.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

Somebody Somewhere at HBO is getting really good reviews

Snippets from the reviews: “smallness of the story”, “low-concept character portraits”, “low-key delight”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

https://variety.com/2022/awards/news/pete-davidson-oscars-2022-not-hosting-1235154192/

There has, however, been some momentum for an idea that would involve another millennial star: Selena Gomez, who could host with Steve Martin and Martin Short, her co-stars from “Only Murders in the Building,” creating a perfect moment of corporate Disney synergy for ABC and Hulu. Individuals involved with the Oscars telecast are intrigued by the idea of bringing together comedic legends (Martin has hosted the Oscars twice before) and one of the most popular young, multi-talented performers in Hollywood.

This could help Selena Gomez’s chances, if the hosting doesn’t bomb.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Sort of off topic, but I have yet to watch Hacks. I watched the trailer and it seemed so lackluster. Is it worth it?

I’m not a huge fan, but I acknowledge I’m in the minority. It’s not funny. It’s a show about stand-up comedy, but there are no jokes except for two funny characters with small parts. It also doesn’t look very nice.

Best Supporting Actress - Kathryn Hunter, Ann Dowd, Martha Plimpton, Judi Dench, Ruth Negga
    Best Supporting Actor - Troy Katsur, Ciarán Hinds, Alex Hassell, Bertie Carvel
    Best Actress - Tessa Thompson
    The Tragedy of Macbeth in Directing, Production Design, Cinematography and thee Kathryn Hunter
    Mass in Original Screenplay

The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

85 on MC with 10 reviews.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Golden Tomato Awards 

Best Comedy Series 2021

1. Only Murders in the Building
    2. Hacks
    3. Ted Lasso
    4. We Are Lady Parts
    5. Reservation Dogs
    6. Mythic Quest
    7. Starstruck
    8. What We Do in the Shadows
    9. The Great
    10. Insecure

Cobra Kai was listed under drama.

Best Supporting Actress - Kathryn Hunter, Ann Dowd, Martha Plimpton, Judi Dench, Ruth Negga
    Best Supporting Actor - Troy Katsur, Ciarán Hinds, Alex Hassell, Bertie Carvel
    Best Actress - Tessa Thompson
    The Tragedy of Macbeth in Directing, Production Design, Cinematography and thee Kathryn Hunter
    Mass in Original Screenplay

The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

https://variety.com/2022/awards/news/pete-davidson-oscars-2022-not-hosting-1235154192/ This could help Selena Gomez’s chances, if the hosting doesn’t bomb.

It could help. But I’m not sure if it would. Gomez’s problem isn’t visibility. She’s one of the most famous people on the planet and her show is a massive hit that has been getting nominations left, right and centre.

I think her problem is that voters don’t really find her performance of note because she’s not exactly playing against type (like say Zendaya is on Euphoria). Don’t get me wrong her performance is very good but I think lots of voters just think when watching Only Murders in the Building that they’re just watching Selena Gomez playing a millennial. It’s a bit meta and I think it’s something that has similarly affected people like Justin Hartley and Kristen Bell (for different reasons of course) in the past even though their programmes were quite widely seen series contenders.

It could be something that changes in the future though as the novelty of her acting fades away.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

So many great comedies this year but so few slots. Where were some of you last year? 😭

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    showfinatic
    Topics:

But the trio hosting the Oscars is a must as long as it isn’t a total miss. We shall see. I would love to see them host the Emmys.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So many great comedies this year but so few slots. Where were some of you last year? 😭

At least with the ones that aired after the Summer I can understand them skipping because of Covid related production delays but those June and July comedies really wasted such a big opportunity lmao.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It also is airing on Sundays on HBO. I can see momentum build.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    showfinatic
    Topics:

Selena is also rumored to be hosting SNL. Wonder if that visibility will help at the Emmys.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Selena is also rumored to be hosting SNL. Wonder if that visibility will help at the Emmys.

She doesn’t really need visibility if everyone is watching her show and knows who she is..

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

That SAG snub for her really is not great. I mean why would a populist awards body who embraced Only Murders in the Building snub someone as famous as Gomez in favour of Elle Fanning (whose co-star missed for both of the male leads of Only Murders in the Building) and Sandra Oh in a show no one cared about?

I still think she can get in because of how the Emmys voting system favours visibility over passion but it’s clear at this point that she probably isn’t getting as many votes as both Martins are in the comedy actor race in spite of the visibility.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 388 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.