Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 6)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 442 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
7 mins ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Gomez problem was never visibility, it was been taken serious as a thespian. Going back to the Zendaya comparison’s, she had one minor hit in 2013, dipped out and became a full time actress. On top of her Disney channel breakthrough, she’s been a constant presence before Euphoria thanks to Spider-Man and The Greatest Showman. So when Euphoria came, it much more of “wow we didn’t you had this in you” than “wow, we didn’t know you could actually act”.

Gomez, on the other hand, has had at least one platinum certified Top 40 hit every year from 2009-2020 (and even the first half of 2021 she released her first Spanish language music project), and while she’s acted continuously since, it’s been bit cameos (Neighbours 2, Big Short), in small indie films 13 people have seen (Rainy Day in NYC, Dead Don’t Die), animated voice work (Hotel Transylvania), a stunt casting (Spring Breakers) and family films (Monte Carlo, Ramona & Beezus – ironically, playing opposite future Emmy nominee Joey King), for a lot of people, Only Murders was the first time they’ve seen her acting since Wizards of Waverley Place.

If hosting the Oscars and/or SNL goes well, it will show that Only Murders wasn’t just a one time fluke

Oscars FYC:

"Lamb" – International Feature and all categories

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

I think you guys overestimate Gomez’s level of fame. I know she’s profoundly well recognised among younger people, but to the over-40s, I honestly couldn’t name a song of hers and I can guarantee none of my friends or cousins or anyone my age or older would be able to pick her out of a line up. A lot of people were tuning into OMITB for her extremely famous and legendary co-stars.

Best Supporting Actress - Kathryn Hunter, Ann Dowd, Martha Plimpton, Judi Dench, Ruth Negga
    Best Supporting Actor - Troy Katsur, Ciarán Hinds, Alex Hassell, Bertie Carvel
    Best Actress - Tessa Thompson
    The Tragedy of Macbeth in Directing, Production Design, Cinematography and thee Kathryn Hunter
    Mass in Original Screenplay

The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sab227
    Topics:

I feel like Selena Gomez has been snubbed consistently simply because her Performance is not at the same level as Steve Martin and Martin Short. The two gentlemen are comedy icons and nobody comes close to their brilliance so it easy to understand why they were being singled out and Gomez was not shes good but not great especially when compared to her co-stars.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I think Selena Gomez and Steve Martin had a lot of screen chemistry and their scenes were very good. I think one thing that hurts her is that she doesn’t have a episode, or even a scene where she does it alone, a tape in a matter. Martin Short had tapes all over the series, Steve Martin shines in the finale, but Selena didn’t have that.

It's all about Ethan Hawke!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

I loved Selena in Only Murders but how are we all this shocked, like it was said she was good not outstanding and this category is year in and year out full of Outstanding performances, I don’t see how it was ever happening.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Thiago
    Topics:

Gomez has more than enough visibility to get nominated and she does get a lot of scenes by herself, especially in that episode she comes back home, in which she gets a lot of material to work with, sadly it’s the worst episode by far, which is probably not helping her.

Honestly, I liked her scenes with Short and Martin and the chemistry they all had toguether, but not her scenes by herself and with Oscar, so I wouldn’t nominate her either, since the category is pretty stacked.

Smart and Brosnahan are locks, Fanning might be too, Cuoco and Lyonne are probably gonna be stronger than her and Oh is liked enough to get in on namecheck alone, even if The Chair doesn’t get in anywhere else and gets cancelled by Netflix.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I wonder how HBO are going to balance campaigning for Cuoco, Rae and Smart.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

I think Selena Gomez and Steve Martin had a lot of screen chemistry and their scenes were very good. I think one thing that hurts her is that she doesn’t have a episode, or even a scene where she does it alone, a tape in a matter. Martin Short had tapes all over the series, Steve Martin shines in the finale, but Selena didn’t have that.

True. The scene in 1×05 where she about stab the attacker in the alley with her knitting needles is the only overtly haha funny “clip” I can recall where Mable is the primary focus.

Oscars FYC:

"Lamb" – International Feature and all categories

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think she is

True. The scene in 1×05 where she about stab the attacker in the alley with her knitting needles is the only overtly haha funny “clip” I can recall where Mable is the primary focus.

I think on reflection she should go supporting. She is ultimately the supporting foil to a beloved comedy duo. The only reason really for her to go lead is if Amy Ryan was also really competitive and there’s no real evidence she is, she hasn’t gotten in anywhere.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

85 on MC with 10 reviews.

87 now with 11. It’s coming.

It's all about Ethan Hawke!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    lvigario
    Topics:

Will Peacemaker enter here or drama?

FYC TV: genera+ion | The Other Two | Starstruck | Schmigadoon! | Love Life | This Way Up | Sex Education | Zoey’s Extraordinary Christmas | Sarah Paulson in ACS: Impeachment | Evan Peters in American Horror Story: Red Tide

FYC Movies: CODA | In The Heights | Last Night In Soho | Spencer | Gaga for House of Gucci | Penelope Cruz for Madres Paralelas | Martha Plimpton in Mass | Glenn Close in Four Good Days | Riley Keough in Zola | Colman Domingo in Zola | Sandra Bullock in The Unforgivable | Jake Gyllen

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Will Peacemaker enter here or drama?

It’s definitely tonally a comedy. I imagine given the DC backing they’d prefer it to be submitted there too as they have several other series that will be submitted in drama.

Also, way better than it has any right to be, and well made. This is totally getting renewed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Don’t know if it’s been discussed before, but I think Abbott Elementary could be the lone writing nominee this year. It’s probably still not big enough to compete elsewhere in this incredibly packed year, but it’s very well-liked and is become quite the word-of-mouth Internet hit. Seems exactly like the kind of thing that Critics Choice would love, so even if (when) it misses the Emmys entirely I’m predicting it there at the end of the year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think you guys overestimate Gomez’s level of fame. I know she’s profoundly well recognised among younger people, but to the over-40s

I think this is consistently a perception problem with awards predicting, not necessarily specifically about Gomez. It happens in the reverse all the time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If hosting the Oscars and/or SNL goes well, it will show that Only Murders wasn’t just a one time fluke

I don’t think Gomez’s problem is that voters think her performance in Only Murders in the Building was a one time fluke though. I think the issue here is that as excellent as she was on the show, she doesn’t do anything particularly groundbreaking. She’s just Selena Gomez playing a millennial in a show with two comedic legends essentially delivering masterclasses in comedic acting.

Unless she does something that’s “different” when (if?) hosting either of those shows, I don’t think they’ll change her situation all that much.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 442 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.