Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 6)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 502 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

here’s to these legends winning:

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Not that I’m aware of. It would have been so funny if it was and Bill Hader got double nominated in guest actor and four above the line nominations for comedy series, actor, writing and directing this season… Well at least he‘ll still probably has a chance at getting 5 Emmy nominations this season lol.

Yes I was thinking of him with the Toast of Tinseltown question obviously. I sense an SNL hosting gig maybe as well??! Six Emmy noms, come on Bill!

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

We’ve talked about Selena Gomez going supporting after her SAG snub but I wonder if Hulu might move Nicholas Hoult back to supporting after he missed SAG (especially considering they already have both Martins in lead for Only Murders). If they do I could see him being in quite a good position.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

For the win ? I disagree. I don’t think The Great is that strong when Fanning and Hoult missed SAG noms alternatively due to strong categories (and ironically the other one was nominated in a weak one). Also missed WGA, with the writers being the first awards body to recognize the show.

I think Goldstein will most likely repeat.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

For the win ? I disagree.

I was talking about the nomination because I think he’s shaky on that in lead.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

For the win ? I disagree. I don’t think The Great is that strong when Fanning and Hoult missed SAG noms alternatively due to strong categories (and ironically the other one was nominated in a weak one). Also missed WGA, with the writers being the first awards body to recognize the show.

Yeah, I think you’re right. They might both be fifth in their category.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If Curb Your Enthusiasm makes it in at PGA tomorrow how do you guys think it stands in the series race? After its under-performance last year it felt like a show that was on its way out and HBO already have three other series contenders that are probably going to be stronger than it but then again I wonder if the last few slots in the comedy series race could once again be decided on which show has the most goodwill.

FYC:

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I was talking about the nomination because I think he’s shaky on that in lead.

Oh yeah, he would be nominated for sure. Agree that he is shaky in Lead, especially considering that we know that people like Anthony Anderson/Don Cheadle (Anderson has been nominated for every single season of Black-ish and Cheadle has missed only one single time since 2012 when he makes eligibility and is in contention) are beloved by the TV Academy and could spoil any time.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

After its under-performance last year it felt like a show that was on its way out and HBO already have three other series contenders that are probably going to be stronger than it but then again I wonder if the last few slots in the comedy series race could once again be decided on which show has the most goodwill.

I just think there is always going to be in any big group of people 20-30% that basically vote by inertia and I always think there’s a risk when there’s a couple of very clear frontrunners they do default back to old favourites. Especially in comedy.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Oh yeah, he would be nominated for sure. Agree that he is shaky in Lead, especially considering that we know that people like Anthony Anderson/Don Cheadle (Anderson has been nominated for every single season of Black-ish and Cheadle has missed only one single time since 2012 when he makes eligibility and is in contention) are beloved by the TV Academy and could spoil any time.

I think he’s probably 5th at best if he goes lead. He does seem to have some individual support (considering he still made it in at the Globes/CC and the show got into SAG ensemble he probably was 6th at SAG) but he’s not going to be ahead of Hader, Martin, Short or Sudeikis. His chances will ultimately depend on whether this new season of Atlanta is a contender and if The Great can manage to get a comedy series nomination.

With Fanning I actually think the fact she got in everywhere (after only getting in at the Globes for season 1) helps her especially with the field still being competitive enough for her to miss with Gomez/Einbinder there. I would probably put her 4th in my predictions behind Brosnahan, Cuoco and Smart considering how weak Gomez is looking, there being such a big unknown factor behind Russian Doll season 2 and Ross and Rae having missed in competitive fields like this in the past. Of course if Insecure does somehow manage to get in at PGA tomorrow I’ll put Rae ahead of her.

FYC:

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

I thought PGA nominations weren’t out until the 27th? It says on wiki they’re only doing certain tv categories.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

they do default back to old favourites. Especially in comedy.

I couldn’t agree with this more.

I think the key thing too remember about comedies is that water-cooler comedies and sitcoms are a rarity these days. Gone are the days where you had everyone watching Glee or everyone watching The Office/Modern Family as they rolled out. The Ted Lasso/Only Murders in the Building phenomenons where a show gets mainstream traction almost from the moment it debuts is a rarity. Look at how The Great got shut out in acting and then got 2 SAG nominations, The Good Place and Schitt’s Creek both broke through later on with voters or how a show like Cobra Kai managed to get in over Girls5Eva. It’s rare for new series to immediately gain traction amongst the mainstream until they’re more established when people are just rewatching Friends on Netflix all the time.

FYC:

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I thought PGA nominations weren’t out until the 27th? It says on wiki they’re only doing certain tv categories.

Omg my bad lol. I misread this article.

2021-22 Awards Season Calendar – Dates For The Oscars, SAG, BAFTAs & More

FYC:

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

It’s rare for new series to immediately gain traction amongst the mainstream until they’re more established when people are just rewatching Friends on Netflix all the time.

I also think we under-rate the fact that there will always be a proportion of people who like a more episodic format they can dip in and out of. Curb, SNL, Black-ish etc are all great for that.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.