Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 9)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 525 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
probablyROB
String Cheese..
  • Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

I feel like Julia is the type of show that could just as easily get 0 nominations or could surprise us and get a ton. It seems to not really have ANY buzz (I’m watching it and loving it personally, it’s my new comfort tv show, but idk anyone else watching it) but neither did something like the kominsky method, and I feel like they could very easily play to a similar older audience.

Yeah it’s not my proverbial cup of tea but it’s someone’s. They also seem to go for comedies with strong female leads lately. I just don’t think it’s a comedy. They need a light drama category.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I feel like Julia is the type of show that could just as easily get 0 nominations or could surprise us and get a ton. It seems to not really have ANY buzz (I’m watching it and loving it personally, it’s my new comfort tv show, but idk anyone else watching it) but neither did something like the kominsky method, and I feel like they could very easily play to a similar older audience.

That’s my reasoning as well. It could benefit from the The Kominsky Method demographic not having what to vote for.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Unfortunately I think Atlanta has ruled itself out this year. Awards aren’t everything and it’s still a good show and an important show. But this season has been … preachy. Like bashing you over the head with important points and an incredibly narrow depiction of white people and black tropes. Like an anthology of issues, where each episode they did a racism. This week, nannies.

It must be exhausting to be American.

[Ok I fucking cracked up when you know who turned up, and also when the kid got really into it]

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-does-atlanta-keep-disappearing-its-main-cast

Hopefully, the next five episodes are less concerned about upsetting white people like it’s a litmus test for good Black television. I simply want to hang with my boys and Van, particularly in situations where they’re not just props for exposing the nature of white folks.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

I hate to say this, but Zazie Beetz is being underused by Atlanta Season 3 so far. I hope she has some great material in the final three episodes.

Profile picture
    Yves Wearn
    Topics:

So, is Jake Johnson getting into conversation? I might as well just start watching Minx..

Profile picture
    smarter person
    Topics:

Finally got around to watching the first three episodes of Abbott Elementary and I’m already obsessed! Will definitely be rewatching this as soon as I finish season one. Quinta Brunson is a GEM, but I’m honestly so mesmerized by Janelle James’ performance, tbh. I’m also not used to seeing Tyler James Williams play authority figures, hah. Makes me feel a bit old.

Profile picture
    musterd
    Topics:

Fascinating article from Eric Kohn on tv directing. But extremely surprised and amused that a high brow critic like him was binging and full of praise for Our Flag Means Death

Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

Our Flag Means Death has been getting so much great press recently, wonder if the combo of that and the dedicated fanbase could lead a few surprise noms.

Profile picture
    musterd
    Topics:

Our Flag Means Death has been getting so much great press recently, wonder if the combo of that and the dedicated fanbase could lead a few surprise noms.

Yeah have been hearing it getting shout outs on various tv podcasts this past week. Plus a ton of comedians have cameoed on it. But its position with HBOMax now seems unclear and the new management may prioritise titles with a proven track

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Here’s where I am at…
    Comedy Series
    1- Hacks
    2- Ted Lasso
    3- Barry
    4- Only Murders in the Building
    5- The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    6- The Flight Attendant
    7- Abbott Elementary
    8- Russian Doll

Alt: Cobra Kai, The Great

Lead Actor – Comedy
    1- Jason Sudeikis – Ted Lasso
    2- Bill Hader – Barry
    3- Steve Martin – Only Murders in the Building
    4- Martin Short – Only Murders in the Building
    5- Anthony Anderson – Black-ish
    6- Donald Glover – Atlanta

Alt: Nicholas Hoult – The Great, Don Cheadle – Black Monday

Lead Actress – Comedy
    1- Quinta Brunson – Abbott Elementary
    2- Jean Smart – Hacks
    3- Kaley Cuoco – The Flight Attendant
    4- Rachel Brosnahan – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    5- Sarah Lancashire – Julia
    6- Natasha Lyonne – Russian Doll

Alt: Issa Rae – Insecure, Elle Fanning – The Great

Supporting Actor – Comedy
    1- Brett Goldstein – Ted Lasso
    2- Tony Shalhoub – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    3- Henry Winkler – Barry
    4- Anthony Carrigan – Barry
    5- Brian Tyree Henry – Atlanta
    6- Stephen Root – Barry
    7- Kenan Thompson – Saturday Night Live
    8- Bowen Yang – Saturday Night Live

Alt: Nick Mohammed – Ted Lasso, Andre Braugher – Brooklyn Nine Nine

Supporting Actress – Comedy
    1- Hannah Waddingham – Ted Lasso
    2- Juno Temple – Ted Lasso
    3- Alex Borstein – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    4- Kate McKinnon – Saturday Night Live
    5- Sarah Goldberg – Barry
    6- Hannah Einbinder – Hacks
    7- Bebe Neuwirth – Julia
    8- Kaitlin Olson – Hacks

Alt: Ariana DeBose – Schmigadoon, Janelle James – Abbott Elementary, Amy Ryan – Only Murders in the Building

Definitely not feeling good about predicting an Insecure shut out after the show overperformed years ago. I think at least Rae will get in.

The only shows that got an AFI mention and didn’t end up with at least one ATL emmy nom were The Walking Dead, Jane the Virgin and The Good Lord Bird, so I wouldn’t rule out DeBose for Schmigadoon and Reservation Dogs for Writing or Series.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

The only shows that got an AFI mention and didn’t end up with at least one ATL emmy nom were The Walking Dead, Jane the Virgin and The Good Lord Bird, so I wouldn’t rule out DeBose for Schmigadoon and Reservation Dogs for Writing or Series.

Yeah, all of us are saying Chastain might carry her Oscar momentum to a nomination, but it’s possible that even/only DeBose is the Oscar winner getting a follow-up Emmy nomination.

Emmy FYC
    -Severance in all categories.
    -Ted Lasso in all categories.
    -The Dropout in all categories.

-Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Margaret Qualley, Colin Firth
    -Jung Ho-Yeon, Lee Yoo-Mi, Sarah Snook, Laura Linney.
    -Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Juno Temple, Sarah Lancashire and Martin Short.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I just get the feeling that Ted Lasso is going to roll in the Emmys for its first few seasons like Modern Family. Both shows have a lot of similarities: beloved vast Ensemble, good viewership numbers, multiple acting noms. The only thing that differentiates the two is that the Director’s Branch isn’t as heads over heels over Ted Lasso as it was over Modern Family (4 successive Emmy directing wins).

Emmy FYC

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I just get the feeling that Ted Lasso is going to roll in the Emmys for its first few seasons like Modern Family. Both shows have a lot of similarities: beloved vast Ensemble, good viewership numbers, multiple acting noms. The only thing that differentiates the two is that the Director’s Branch isn’t as heads over heels over Ted Lasso as it was over Modern Family (4 successive Emmy directing wins).

Different system back then. The blue ribbon panel people was composed mostly by older voters who had more free time. I believe shows like Glee would’ve won Comedy Series if they competed with Modern Family today. Further proof is that the show stopped winning when the system changed.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/emmys-does-new-voting-process-803040/

I think Ted Lasso will repeat at least one of its acting wins, but I don’t think it will repeat Comedy Series, even if it’s way bigger and more popular than all the other shows.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Different system back then. The blue ribbon panel people was composed mostly by older voters who had more free time. I believe shows like Glee would’ve won Comedy Series if they competed with Modern Family today. Further proof is that the show stopped winning when the system changed. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/emmys-does-new-voting-process-803040/ 

I don’t think so.  Modern Family was always winning for its first four seasons but it might have lost for the fifth season. Glee won 0 PGA, 0 DGA, 0 WGA, 0 ACE, 0 ADG and 1 SAG. After all Modern Family did THIS at the guilds:

PGA: 4 wins (2010-2013)

DGA: 2 wins and 10 nominations

SAG: 4 SAG Ensemble wins  (5 total wins and 25!! nominations)

WGA: 6 wins and 18 nominations

CSA: dual wins in 2010, won in 2011

ADG: won in 2010, won in 2011

Glee had little to no chance to win over it. It was always winning in 2010,2011, 2012 and 2013 with the way it performed at the guilds. 2014 is the only one that’s debatable. The show stopped winning when the system changed but it was very much due to the fatigue due to 4-5 years of domination and with new exciting series around, the Emmys took the Lead. No show had that much of a chance in 2010,2011,2012 and 2013.

While Ted Lasso isn’t sweeping the way Modern Family was, it still is a very beloved ensemble and very very visible. Although Hacks and Barry also have the support, so I’ll give you that.

Emmy FYC

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Not just the system is different. The climate to repeat wins and sweeps is way more hostile these days. This reflects on the Oscar as well.

Glee would’ve had huge buzz on the social media era. This doesn’t matter anyway. It was just an example.

However, my point is that the current system doesn’t favor repeat wins like that, and there is also the 1 year gap between the second season and the Emmy.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 525 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.