Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 10)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 502 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
Victor
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I would add Lisa Emery too!

I definitely think she’s in contention if Netflix submits her (I actually forgot about her in my original post lol).

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

While Lisa Emery can totally get nominated, it’s not a safe bet at all considering Janet McTeer was snubbed even though many people considered her a near lock.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

While Lisa Emery can totally get nominated, it’s not a safe bet at all considering Janet McTeer was snubbed even though many people considered her a near lock.

Lisa Emery has been in the show from the start though.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I do agree she’s not locked.

But every year is different and Emery already has two advantages McTeer and Pelphrey didn’t. Ozark could peak towards Emmy nominations voting due to the final seven episodes being released in May and she’s been on the show from the start so doesn’t suffer the exact same hurdles that McTeer and Pelphrey did.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

she’s been on the show from the start so doesn’t suffer the exact same hurdles that McTeer and Pelphrey did.

Yeah the stat on getting in almost entirely if you were an original cast member (sans the Crown with the revolving cast) is quite damning. There’s only a handful of exceptions in drama

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

There’s only a handful of exceptions in drama

And they always tend to be big names/Emmy favourites with performances at the crux of the season of their show’s buzz (Streep, Whitford, Brown). Pelphrey was at the crux of season 3’s buzz but wasn’t a big name whilst McTeer was an Academy Award nominated actor but not as buzzy as some of her co-stars in season 3.

FYC:

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Gilded Age opens with 463k viewers. 

In retrospect to linear ratings for premieres of other HBO shows in the past 6 months:

1. Succession season 3 – 564k viewers
    2. Curb Your Enthusiasm season 11 – 486k viewers
    ———————————————————————————————–
    3. The White Lotus – 420k viewers
    4. Insecure season 5 – 308k viewers
    5. The Righteous Gemstones season 2 – 291k viewers
    6. Euphoria season 2 – 254k viewers
    7. Scenes From a Marriage – 224k viewers
    8. Landscapers – 112k viewers

FYC:

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

That’s outstanding for a Monday night.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

The Gilded Age opens with 463k viewers.  In retrospect to linear ratings for premieres of other HBO shows in the past 6 months:

Am I missing something there because that’s an article on Murray Bartlett?

Do we know the 18-49 on that because this show seems less likely to get a big streaming pick up compared to, say, Euphoria

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Am I missing something there because that’s an article on Murray Bartlett?

My apologies about that. I mustn’t have copied and pasted the article properly and pasted the one I had prior (I posted in the comedy thread about Bartlett).

Here’s the Deadline article:

Other highlights for HBO ratings include the premiere of The Gilded Age on Monday night. The long-awaited series from Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes drew in a solid 1 million viewers across all HBO platforms, topping HBO’s best Monday night debut since Chernobyl’s on May, 6 2019.

(Source)

FYC:

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

The viewing numbers are really good for Gilded Age and it has generated some Twitter buzz as well. Let’s see if it can keep increasing its viewership per week.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Yeah my instincts were right –  0.03 in 18-49 which makes it the oldest leaning HBO show I can remember in a very long time. If it’s skewing that old Baranski seems the most likely.

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/hbo-tv-show-ratings/

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yeah my instincts were right – 0.03 in 18-49 which makes it the oldest leaning HBO show I can remember in a very long time. If it’s skewing that old Baranski seems the most likely. https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/hbo-tv-show-ratings/

Has HBO ever had a show that has leant that old in audience?

FYC:

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Has HBO ever had a show that has leant that old in audience?

Certainly not recently.

I just stuck that data in the link in to a spreadsheet (those shows go back to at least Boardwalk Empire) and they’re the oldest by a mile. That 15.43/1 for viewers over 50 (Perry Mason and the Undoing were next: 9.37 and 8.43 so quite a way off)

In my experience for whatever reason very old leaning shows are very prone towards (if anything) actor noms or winter awards, not series noms at the Emmys, I presume because the people voting in more technical categories for program aren’t naturally watching. That looks a LOT older than Downton Abbey. It would probably indicate an average viewer being 65-70.

Shows skewing really young or old or to a very specific audience (very very female, a lot older, very young, very male) makes this category really tricky because shows that have huge portions of viewers not watching need a LOT of agreement by the group that is on an unlimited ballot (see: Zendaya, Rege-Jean Page). Oddly, this probably benefits Spector, or maybe Baranski generationally.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Speaking of ratings:

Ozark’ Returns To Lead Netflix Top 10 TV List With 77 Million Hours Laundered

That would suggest 11 million people have already seen these seven episodes in the space of two days.

FYC:

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.