Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 10)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 502 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
Victor
  • Profile picture
    UmOkaaayyyyy
    Topics:

If there is any justice in this world, Milo Ventimiglia will get another nomination this year for tonight’s “This is Us”… He just ripped my heart out and stomped in it in those final scenes. What a tremendous performance.

I do hope the final season of “This is Us” gets some good Emmy recognition. Mandy Moore has been wonderful in the first few episodes of season 6 as well.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’ve mentioned that I’ve given up on This is Us in my predictions earlier in the thread but something that I think we’ve never really gone into full detail on here is how much dramas with the theme of family really appeal to television academy voters.

Each of the drama series winners since 2008 all have had themes around family prominent. The family lives of Walter White, Tony Soprano and Don Draper are key to their character studies on Breaking Bad, The Sopranos and Mad Men. Game of Thrones is about multiple family dynasties at war with each other. Succession is almost like a modern spin on King Lear. The Crown is a study of the most famous family on the planet. The American family was a theme explored in the first season of Homeland with the exploration of Nicholas Brody. The Handmaid’s Tale is a show about a woman who has been taken from her family to deliver the children of religious extremists and their wives who are infertile.

Sure Succession, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos and Game of Thrones are all about tragic heroes, The Crown is a dramatisation of real life events regarding the royal family, Homeland is a show about counter-terrorism and The Handmaid’s Tale is an adaptation of a Margaret Atwood novel about oppression. But at the end of the day appeal is key and the prominence of family (and in all but GoT and The Crown‘s cases – the American family) as a theme as well as the inter-personal conflicts the characters have on each of those shows grounds them. For a television drama to really drive passion it really needs strong realistic characters to drive them.

In the past five years (in addition to the drama series winners) shows like Ozark, The Americans and This is Us have done well with Emmy voters. This is Us being a show that has traditionally done well with actors and both Ozark and The Americans having won 2 or more above the line Emmys. Family is also a strong theme on all three shows. In weaker fields Pose and This is Us have performed well at the expense of shows like Bodyguard and Perry Mason – both shows where family is not much of a theme at all. Sure the TV academy has nominated and given Emmys to dramas where family is not much of a construct at all, but even each of those dramas have faced their own limitations. The Morning Show did well with actors but missed drama series. Killing Eve hasn’t won anything beyond Comer and hasn’t gotten to more than 8 Emmy nominations in one year. The Boys broke through last year but was shut out in acting. The Mandalorian season 2 was big enough to be tipped as a drama series winner on these boards yet it failed to connect strongly with the industry (losing all the winter awards and almost all the Emmys it was up against The Crown in).

It’s just a theory of course but maybe when it comes to above the line categories things like Yellowjackets and Yellowstone could benefit against stuff like Loki and Severance.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

AwardsDaily podcast confirmed (after discussing The Gilded Age) that they’d contacted HBO and they had not clarified their placement for the cast.

Profile picture
    SoniNon
    Topics:

Euphoria’s viewership is doing so good rn, I think Zendaya has a strong chance of winning again.

does anyone (besides zoomers) think what they’re watching is any good though?

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Profile picture
    Reis
    Topics:

Critics actually liked this season more than the first one, 73 metascore with 18 reviews isn’t bad. Audience of last episode grew 41% in viewers marking a series high and the show is completely dominating social media 3 weeks in a row.

I am having a few problems with this season and have a hard time believing it will be nominated in drama series, but if Zendaya episode will be good as the reviews are saying, she isn’t out of the race.

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

Without going into details so as not to give away spoilers for those who haven’t watched the most recent episode, but I assume Disney will submit that actor in Guest for The Book of Boba Fett.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Without going into details so as not to give away spoilers for those who haven’t watched the most recent episode, but I assume Disney will submit that actor in Guest for The Book of Boba Fett.

I think they’re reasonably likely to submit in limited but can they go voice instead?

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

AwardsDaily podcast confirmed (after discussing The Gilded Age) that they’d contacted HBO and they had not clarified their placement for the cast.

Good to know. For me, it’s obvious that Christine Baranski will be submitted in Supporting Actress. She has the final “and” credit of the cast members, which usually indicates an A-list supporting cast member.

Additionally, she is the actual lead on The Good Fight (for which she just scored Golden Globe and Critics Choice noms) and will be submitted as such for that series. It’s an easy decision for both her, her people and her networks (Paramount+/HBO) for her to go supporting for The Gilded Age.

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

All the five nominees in drama at the DGA are from Succession!

The White Lotus submitted at the DGA as Comedy.

Profile picture
    Brayfers
    Topics:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/awards/directors-guild-tv-awards-nominations-2022-succession-1235163574/

succession is truly in its own league, literally only competing with itself

Letterboxd: Brayfers

Multi-Grammy Winning Artist - Olivia Rodrigo

!! EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE - OUT NOW !!

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Remember when people were discussing Squid Game stomping on Succession? Good times.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Remember when people were discussing Squid Game stomping on Succession? Good times.

Not saying it will stomp Succession, but it’s worth saying that Squid Game was not eligible for DGA

Biggest competition Succession had was… The Morning Show and a afterthought The Handmaid’s Tale

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Squid Game was not eligible for DGA

I know, I meant that with Succession doing this well it’s probably not losing.

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

Succession is clearly in a league of its own. Which is correct.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.