Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 10)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 502 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
Victor
  • Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

The one thing I am predicting here is a lot of shows to get at least one ATL nom, maybe 12 or 13.

I’m not sure what the upper limit is here but there’s no real consensus outside Succession getting a lot of acting noms, which will have some effect on the male categories but negligible effect on the female ones.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Bridgerton when it sweeps

FYC:

"Succession" and "Severance" in all Drama categories;
    "Ted Lasso" and "The Great" in all Comedy categories;
    "Station Eleven" and "The White Lotus" in all Limited categories + Ethan Hawke for "Moon Knight".

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Do we know what TCA panels are next week? Today is The CW but I’d be surprised if that went for more than a day with everything going on.

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

Moffat confirmed that the air date of The Time Traveler’s Wife, announced by Entertainment Weekly, was incorrect: https://mobile.twitter.com/SWmoff/status/1486745557032910851

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Since 2010 only one drama series got in at PGA and then missed at the Emmys and that was Big Little Lies season 2.

I don’t think The Morning Show is locked because it is a competitive field and it already missed at DGA so does have its own limitations. But I do think at this point it’s hard to see it not being top 10 in series. It seems to have a very loyal base.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    2021ravenclaw1
    Topics:

I really think Euphoria could get into Drama Series this time. Everyone (myself included) underestimated its chances for its first season. Although it did miss series, Zendaya won so I feel the show definitely had some support. The second season has been received better critically than the first and the ratings are through the roof. It’s not impossible. I could also see Eric Dane getting a Supoorting Actor nod

“Every time someone tries to win a war before it starts, innocent people die. Every time”

Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

Since 2010 only one drama series got in at PGA and then missed at the Emmys and that was Big Little Lies season 2. I don’t think The Morning Show is locked because it is a competitive field and it already missed at DGA so does have its own limitations. But I do think at this point it’s hard to see it not being top 10 in series. It seems to have a very loyal base.

Everybody not working for Waystar Royco missed DGA

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The problem I have with Euphoria in my predictions is that whilst it is a very popular show (which it always has been and always will be), I just feel like there’s a disconnect between the industry and its audience. It kind of reminds me of how people were expecting Selena Gomez to get carried along with the Only Murders in the Building love because of internet hype. The Euphoria audience that is raving about the show online are mainly Gen Z-ers and millennials who at the end of the day are only just a demographic in the television academy. It’s still widely considered a controversial and polarising show.

Zendaya will get nominated again because she just won and there is universal passion towards her performance and I guess Sydney Sweeney has an outside chance at a supporting actress nomination with the buzz and industry goodwill she has right now but I don’t really see it getting anything else. I feel like it’s telling that it couldn’t over-perform below the line or slip into directing last year for those hanging episodes in spite of a strong critical reception and the field being quite barren.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

Just to recap, the series that got nominations in some of the four main guilds (DGA, PGA, SAG and WGA) and are eligible for the 2022 Emmys are:

1. Succession (DGA, PGA, SAG, WGA)
    2. The Morning Show (PGA, SAG, WGA)
    3. Squid Game (PGA, SAG)
    4. Yellowstone (PGA, SAG)
    5. Loki (WGA)
    6. Yellowjackets (WGA)

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

The Euphoria audience that is raving about the show online are mainly Gen Z-ers and millennials who at the end of the day are only just a demographic in the television academy. It’s still widely considered a controversial and polarising show.

It’s also basically exclusionary for older viewers past a certain point (which actually means it’s doing its job as a teen show. If you’re 37 with a preteen kid that show is probably going to give you anxiety) which is difficult when it’s pretty clear that voters in the TV Academy aren’t all that young (though they’re younger than SAG). Most shows that have been popular with younger viewers haven’t been exclusionary.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Succession Ozark Squid Game The Morning Show Yellowstone Better Call Saul Killing Eve Seems like a predictable lineup..

The only thing I’d say is it seems a bit too male leaning, even for the Emmys, who voted in The Crown, Bridgerton, This Is Us, and Handmaid’s last year (though I think it’s still very possible given the way the ballot works).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The only thing I’d say is it seems a bit too male leaning, even for the Emmys, who voted in The Crown, Bridgerton, This Is Us, and Handmaid’s last year (though I think it’s still very possible given the way the ballot works).

I still think Bridgerton is being counted out too quickly on here. Even though it didn’t land in acting outside of Rege Jean-Page, it still got 12 nominations last year (including in categories like casting and directing) and this season is not only being released at the right time (March) but the show has wide appeal which helps it on an unlimited ballot that favours such a thing alongside visibility.  I mean it wouldn’t surprise me if both the type of voters who are checking off something as younger skewing as Killing Eve and those who are checking off something as older skewing as The Gilded Age are a part of its voter base.

FYC:

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

The way I forgot about The Gilded Age when I made that post 💀

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The way I forgot about The Gilded Age when I made that post 💀

FYC:

Profile picture
    starklinson
    Topics:

also the second Bridgerton book is generally considered better than the first one

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.