Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 13)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 522 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
Victor
  • Profile picture
    fawkes
    Topics:

Looking forward to the Youn Yuh-jung and Lee Jung-jae reunion at the Emmys.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

When they both deservedly win their categories.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

‘Winning Time’ Viewership Rises In Week 2, Earns 1.2M Total Viewers On HBO & HBO Max

HBO sports drama Winning Time: The Rise Of The Lakers Dynasty scored more viewers in its second week, rising from its debut.

The freshman series starring John C. Reilly, Quincy Isaiah and Jason Clarke earned a total of 1.2 million viewers across HBO and HBO Max with its second episode. The latest episode, titled “Is that All There Is?” and directed by Jonah Hill, was up 33% from the previous week’s 901,000 total viewers. “Is That All there Is?” centered on Earvin ‘Magic’ Johnson (Isaiah) before he left his East Lansing home for Los Angeles.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Just popping in to say that in a just world Brian Cox would win an Emmy for this. https://twitter.com/filmupdates/status/1503590412493025280?s=21

InB4 he submits for Guest Actor in a Comedy a la…

Kimmel1
    Kimmel Oliver

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

Are we sure Yellowstone is indeed coming in strong or did it just perform well at the winter awards because of lack of competition?

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Are we sure Yellowstone is indeed coming in strong or did it just perform well at the winter awards because of lack of competition?

It’s very rare for a show to get a SAG ensemble nomination and not show up above the line somewhere (in most cases, it translates to a program nomination). They could easily have nominated This Is Us or Loki or Pose.

I’ve watched Yellowstone on and off for years prior to it getting in and I think it’s generally been a bit underdone below the line so I would think it probably expand a bit there. I don’t really buy in to it being able to get in any more than program, Costner, and Reilly. It might just get one of those.

In my opinion none of them are strong enough to win but Reilly could really disturb Garner because there’s too much similarity in their performances and who’s voting for them I think.

My instinct is that it got in because Ozark missed – I would guess there’s a decent overlap there viewership wise.

I tend to think the politics of it all are overblown. The actual show is not particularly political though it’s easy to perceive it that way.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

The Housemaid is such a gem of a film.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think there’s no doubt that Yellowstone benefitted from weak competition at SAG and PGA (Ozark being ineligible, Yellowjackets peaking after voting had finished for both those awards, Pose being too under-seen by the wider guild pools and This is Us being a show that SAG couldn’t even bother to nominate in ensemble in last year’s weak field). However I also think the fact it managed to get those nominations and the shock that a Neo-Western TV series on the Paramount Network has been recognised for two of television’s biggest honours has really given it a surge in buzz and visibility. It was only this week that it fell out of the top 10 of IMDB’s buzz meter for TV shows even though its finale aired all the way back in the beginning of January. When it got those nominations it was splashed all over the industry trades and has been continuously making appearances in them whether its news about its latest season coming to stream on Peacock or news about the next season.

At the end of the day with an unlimited ballot voting system, visibility is often the defining factor when it comes to whether a show can get nominated in series because voters just tend to check off everything they’ve seen and remotely liked. Whilst I don’t think it’s necessarily guaranteed to become some major Emmy juggernaut (I can easily seeing it missing out in acting altogether and just getting into series like we’ve seen quite a few shows do recently), Yellowstone just has to many eyeballs on it for me to ignore it in my series predictions. Especially in a scattered field of buzzy and critically acclaimed yet also slightly under-seen new series (Severance, arguably Yellowjackets too although there are valid arguments for it falling in the same boat as Yellowstone with Lynskey’s CC win and a potential WGA new series win), incumbent series nominees with loyal bases but with declining industry eyes and support (Better Call Saul, Killing Eve) and new and popular HBO series without that much excitement or buzz (The Gilded Age, Winning Time). This is actually why I’m quite bullish about Stranger Things in series as well because it’s a show that (whilst not an Emmy juggernaut) everyone from the tech branches to the actors and writers watch and is being released two weeks before nominations voting begins.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Again, Winning Time is only on its second week, with 8 episodes left. It’s extremely premature to say it has no buzz or excitement. And The Gilded Age is a hit, having three Season highs in a row, even if it’s not the most talked show on social media. We objectively don’t know what the Academy is watching. A Julian Fellowes show starring Baranski and Coon could be one.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:
    Tjuz
    Topics:

Deadline says it’a a Limited Series

My bad, moved it.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Again, Winning Time is only on its second week, with 8 episodes left. It’s extremely premature to say it has no buzz or excitement. And The Gilded Age is a hit, having three Season highs in a row, even if it’s not the most talked show on social media. We objectively don’t know what the Academy is watching. A Julian Fellowes show starring Baranski and Coon could be one.

The difficulty I have with HBO this year is all their shows have quite hyper-specific demos. Euphoria is unusually young-skewing, Winning Time is likely getting a very particular age group and type of voter, and The Gilded Age is the oldest-demo show HBO have ever had. How well those align with voters is quite hard to predict.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The difficulty I have with HBO this year is all their shows have quite hyper-specific demos. Euphoria is unusually young-skewing, Winning Time is likely getting a very particular age group and type of voter, and The Gilded Age is the oldest-demo show HBO have ever had. How well those align with voters is quite hard to predict.

Precisely.

There’s no doubt these shows are popular enough for them to get nominated in series and they can definitely do well above the line. It’s just difficult to predict this category when none of them are attracting widespread audience buzz at this point (like most first season nominees in this category have tended to do). They’re popular, are prestigious shows and are on HBO but none of them are massive water-coolers.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

They’re popular, are prestigious shows and are on HBO but none of them are massive water-coolers.

Yep, and so many shows are coming in without pre-cursors (which in many ways is the opposite of previous years)

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 522 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.