Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 16)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 16)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 501 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
probablyROB
Manav
  • Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

across film and TV has been an Apple movie and an Apple show. The Morning Show even got nominated for series and while I like the show it really is not that good outside of Crudup’s performance, which also won two years ago.

I get people’s confidence on Apple but – it actually didn’t – it only got acting nominations (it’s super unusual to get that many acting noms without a series nom, though). Ted Lasso is the only Netflix series to ever be nominated for program, and really the only Apple project to get significant BTL noms.

CODA won with very few actual noms.

The Morning Show could probably be argued to have underperformed BTL given the reported budget?

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I still think The Morning Show overperformed. I thought it got into series because it got nominated in Directing. And this is also two years removed from that period. I think Apple has a lot more visibility now thanks to the content produced before Severance.

And while I agree it wasn’t heavily nominated it did win all three categories including what is a very busy and tough adapted script category every year. It wasn’t the kind of move that was ever supposed to do great with technical awards and it wasn’t a visual masterpiece so missing out on directing along with the types of awards Dune kept winning for was to be expected. I still think the movie overperformed in spite of the fact it only got three nominations.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

And I keep saying that the pacing issue isn’t as wide spread as people keep trying to make it out to be. The pacing is fine. Plenty of shows throughout history have had slower pacing with fewer pay offs early on than Severance. That argument is superficial at best.

I suggest you to go read the IMDB reviews for the show after filtering it by prolific viewer. All reviews that have given it below 9 have the exact same issue. It’s not superficial to say the pacing is an issue because leaving aside the core passionate supporters of the show, a lot of others have had difficulty in going through the initial episodes. Severance is my favourite Drama Series of this current Emmy cycle but to not even admit that it has some major pacing issues is just a precedent to later being shocked when the show is shutout of some categories it was expected to get in.

Emmy FYC
    -Severance in all categories.
    -Ted Lasso in all categories.
    -The Dropout in all categories.

-Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Margaret Qualley, Colin Firth
    -Jung Ho-Yeon, Lee Yoo-Mi, Sarah Snook, Laura Linney.
    -Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Juno Temple, Sarah Lancashire and Martin Short.

Profile picture
    Jameson250
    Topics:

I suggest you to go read the IMDB reviews for the show after filtering it by prolific viewer. All reviews that have given it below 9 have the exact same issue. It’s not superficial to say the pacing is an issue because leaving aside the core passionate supporters of the show, a lot of others have had difficulty in going through the initial episodes. Severance is my favourite Drama Series of this current Emmy cycle but to not even admit that it has some major pacing issues is just a precedent to later being shocked when the show is shutout of some categories it was expected to get in.

I see what you’re saying. I am a fervent Severance supporter and even I had some mild issues with early pacing. That being said, I think the full show has been out long enough and gathered enough buzz (specifically around the finale) and celebrity industry support for people to go back and give it another shot. If it were just starting now I’d say they’re screwed, but it ended in early April and got widespread attention. I think people will catch up by the end of the nomination round and it will do well in series, writing, directing and BTL categories.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I see what you’re saying. I am a fervent Severance supporter and even I had some mild issues with early pacing. That being said, I think the full show has been out long enough and gathered enough buzz (specifically around the finale) and celebrity industry support for people to go back and give it another shot. If it were just starting now I’d say they’re screwed, but it ended in early April and got widespread attention. I think people will catch up by the end of the nomination round and it will do well in series, writing, directing and BTL categories.

I appreciate your positive reasoning and what you said is very much possible although I’m not very sure if people will actually go back to give shows another chance when the number of returning shows is large and they’ll have to catch up with those too.

Emmy FYC

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Posting this here because the Unlimited Ballot thread is temporarily drunk.

DRAMA CATEGORIES 2010-2021

Series (choose maximum 8)

Leading Actor (choose maximum 6)

Leading Actress (choose maximum 6)

Supporting Actor (choose maximum 8)

Supporting Actress (choose maximum 8)

Emmy FYC

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I won’t admit there are pacing issues because there aren’t. There’s maybe an attention deficit disorder issue prevalent in our society but I don’t think that will impact Emmy voters as much as the general public. Every single show people complain as having pacing issues turn out to be the best and most thorough stories told right now. Whether it is Severance, Under the Banner of Heaven, or We Own This City, those are the primary complaints and all they do is make me believe the people saying it can’t put their phone down when watching something.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

I feel like people have forgotten that Apple TV+ has only been around for 2 Emmys, so saying Ted Lasso is the only series with an Emmy nomination is a bit meaningless in terms of indicating the streamer’s over/underperformance. Not to mention winning an Oscar in terms of visibility and new subscribers.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

The Morning Show receiving 8 Emmy nominations tells me voters are watching Apple. It’s quite frankly was not an 8 nomination worthy show. 4-5 maybe? But Directing and Mark Duplass were genuinely shocking nominations.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Also, last year’s DGAs have to be completely thrown out as there was no competition because of the pandemic.

Profile picture
    TV_Lover
    Topics:

The Morning Show receiving 8 Emmy nominations tells me voters are watching Apple. It’s quite frankly was not an 8 nomination worthy show. 4-5 maybe? But Directing and Mark Duplass were genuinely shocking nominations.

I don’t necessarily disagree with this, and never would have predicted Duplass for season one. But whether or not you think TMS is “worthy,” I think history tells us that people are mostly underpredicting the Morning Show for noms this year – for example, THR critic Feinberg had zero noms in his predications today – when there is evidence from awards & noms for both first and second seasons that the show does better than “experts” think it will. For season 1, as just discussed, it got 8 Emmy noms in 2020 even though it was predicted for fewer than that and there was tons of competition. For this season, it had 4 SAG noms & 2 WGA noms & a PGA nom, some of those similarly “shocking” to people. Sure, the competition was sparse, but shows that could have had that combo of winter award nominations but didn’t include Yellowstone, Yellowjackets, & Squid Game (though SG actually won two SAGs so that is probably not fair). You may not have liked the show or this season, but lots of people in the industry did!

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Posting this here because the Unlimited Ballot thread is temporarily drunk.

DRAMA CATEGORIES 2010-2021

Series (choose maximum 8)

Leading Actor (choose maximum 6)

Leading Actress (choose maximum 6)

Supporting Actor (choose maximum 8)

Supporting Actress (choose maximum 8)

How come it’s not unlimited anymore?

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

How come it’s not unlimited anymore?

Well, after doing an unlimited ballot for one field (comedy 2010s), I wanted to see how much would a ballot with limits restrict and see what’s working and what doesn’t. Clearly, the unlimited ballot doesn’t work since it favours visibility more than anything else. Shows like Master Of None had no chance topping the juggernauts on an unlimited ballot (like Comedy Series) but the Writing and Directing ones I did (where there were restrictions), those shows got a comparatively better shot at getting in. Also I wanted to see vote split among co-stars on a ranked ballot, something that won’t happen on an unlimited ballot, as conveyed by Modern Family’s 5 acting noms on the last survey.

Emmy FYC

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

You may not have liked the show or this season, but lots of people in the industry did!

I specifically said that I do like the show. I just don’t think it’s 8 nominations worthy. And in particular getting nominated for directing when it’s never even been nominated for a DGA ever. My whole point of bringing it up was that Emmy voters are watching Apple TV shows so low ratings or worries about visibility for any Apple show is pretty silly. I like the show but it’s star heavy and nobody can say it didn’t benefit from having three legitimate stars in the cast while airing during a thin season in drama quality. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t still good. And Crudup, who is arguably a movie star in his own right, was a very deserving winner. Again, I like the show. But 8 nominations was shocking and wouldn’t happen in 2022.

And people need to stop including Yellowjackets when they talk about the winter awards season as the show didn’t even start airing during the submission cycle and didn’t even finish airing the final episodes before voting ended. It gets brought up and debunked every single time and yet people keep saying it. It’s ludicrous.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 16)’ is closed to new replies.