Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 16)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 16)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 501 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
probablyROB
Manav
  • Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I dropped Jennifer Aniston for Britt Lower. I’m being bullish on Moss in Shining Girls.

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

GD is being weird and won’t let me quote. But this is in response to Ivo’s opinion re: Britt Lower vs. January Jones and Severance characters vs. Mad Men characters:

I could not possibly disagree with you more. I’m a HUGE Mad Men fan, and I still think that assertion is crazy.
    The Severance characters are absolutely multi-dimensional and deeply complex. I have a million questions about each of them. In terms of being realistic, you’re comparing apples to oranges in terms of the type of show they’re in, which makes the comparison senseless. Regardless, I find the Severance characters very realistic. For example, I find the dynamic between Mark and his sister Devon to be one of the most realistic, organic and genuine portrayals of that type of relationship I’ve seen.

Finally, with all due respect, don’t even get me started on January Jones vs. Britt Lower. I’m sure January is nice and all, (actually I’ve heard from several reliable sources that she’s not) but I’d rather watch paint dry than watch her “act”.

You are allowed to be wrong. Both shoes are incomparable in the way in which they write their characters. Severance is miles away from Mad Men.
    Mark and Devon have realistic relationship, but Devon and Ricken DO NOT, it does not help that they have zero chemistry. Harmony is another very unrealistic character that Arquette fails to make empathetic, misterios or intriguing, but it is not on her, it is on the writing since we all know what is she is capable of thanks to The Act or Escape at Dannemora. The employees do feel more realistic and I also have a tons of questions about them, but I am not sure if they will be able to answer them in a satisfying matter in season 2. Don’t get me wrong, I do love the writing of the show as whole, I would be in for a writing win ever, but it does not has the level of character complexity and development that Mad Men has.

January Jones was Emmy worthy in every single scene she did in Mad Men. Period.

Even GoT didn’t get three actresses in til Season 6 though.

I never said that I agree with that. I am only predicting Sweeney. But it is much more realistic to predict all 3 of them than to claim ridiculous bs like: “the show was watched by children”… Pathetic. The show is worldwide sensation, not only domestic, and it changed the fashion and the make-up industry among others. Everyone interested in those things can confirm. All the stars of the show have millions of followers and are sensations whenever they go. Time for reality check for some of the haters that it has.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

FINAL VOTING: Drama 2010s (choose one per category)

Emmy FYC
    -Severance in all categories.
    -Ted Lasso in all categories.
    -The Dropout in all categories.

-Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Margaret Qualley, Colin Firth
    -Jung Ho-Yeon, Lee Yoo-Mi, Sarah Snook, Laura Linney.
    -Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Juno Temple, Sarah Lancashire and Martin Short.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

There isn’t really a spot for this (it kind of effects drama/comedy limited) but I thought I would bring it up for 2023 and I think it somewhat relates to the backloading of this season.

HBO/Prime/Netflix/Disney have all confirmed in the last few days IP/genre projects for the same period – the second half of summer – aka House of The Dragon (GoT) The Rings of Power (LoTR)  She-Hulk (Marvel) The Sandman (DC) and Andor (Star Wars) – the first three within fifteen days of each other (the last two are getting event announcements but could also end up pretty close).

That’s….a lot. Obviously some of those will not be awards players but that’s objectively likely to cause a blockout period of a month or two for smaller or other new programs. I don’t think we’ve ever had such an aggressive strategy against each other ever.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

with minimal buzz for all other network dramas, this is us with its ending looming so close should do extra well.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

They won’t get more than two episodes in regardless. Ozark, Severance, Better Call Saul, Euphoria, etc. all had not even aired when Succession swept the DGA nominations. It would not have happened had they actually had to compete against anyone.

I don’t disagree with this, but Succession is going to make a killing in Directing nominations regardless.

First of all, HBO will almost definitely submit more than two episodes for Succession. If they think they can get that many in (see Game of Thrones s8, Westworld s2, and Watchmen), they will submit that many. And that’s not even accounting for the fact that the directors will almost definitely submit themselves if HBO doesn’t. It’s not entirely up to the network.

Also, competition in Directing is not very tight. Better Call Saul was only ever nominated once in Directing, and it could maaaaybe make it in, but I wouldn’t count on it. It certainly won’t get multiple episodes nominated. Euphoria is not happening.

FYC: Pamela Adlon (Better Things) Rose Byrne (Physical) Danielle Deadwyler (Station Eleven) Elle Fanning (The Great) Luke Kirby (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel) Hamish Linklater (Midnight Mass) Margaret Qualley (Maid) Renee Rapp (The Sex Lives of College Girls) Sophie Thatcher (Yellowjackets) Heléne Yorke (The Other Two)

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

That’s pretty reductive. I mean, maybe that’s a hope but Zendaya already got nominated and won the Emmy so someone other than just children were watching then.

That was for season 1, back when it was not a sensation.

It is widely agreed that season 2 was a sharp decline from season 1, almost a caricature, a teenage drama. No Jules, no Kat? Zendaya basically a supporting actress with a showy episode? Completely pointless and unrealistic arcs with Fez and Lexi? Its season 2 hype explosion came from pop culture: having naked adults depict wild teens, not from excellence.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I didn’t watch the second season. But it is absurd to think that as the show grew in popularity none of them were Emmy voters after she won.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

That was for season 1, back when it was not a sensation. It is widely agreed that season 2 was a sharp decline from season 1, almost a caricature, a teenage drama. No Jules, no Kat? Zendaya basically a supporting actress with a showy episode? Completely pointless and unrealistic arcs with Fez and Lexi? Its season 2 hype explosion came from pop culture: having naked adults depict wild teens, not from excellence.

It was a sensation in Season 1. Season 2 was so so but if HBO can get a shitshow like GoT final season in so can Euphoria. They are like Searchlight to the Emmys

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

So, I don’t know where else to put this… I guess my added interest this season is making youtube recommend watching the 2006 Emmys ceremony.

I forgot a show called Huff ever existed and have never watched a single episode. Maybe I should? Acting wing loved it.

Also, supporting comedy actor was an amazing field in 2006 holy crap. Will Arnett was the only one that wasn’t a previous Emmy winner but still played an equally iconic role.

Profile picture
    Pranshu
    Topics:

I forgot a show called Huff ever existed and have never watched a single episode. Maybe I should? Acting wing loved it. 

I remember there being a post by a user on one of these threads who followed the Emmys back then saying Huff remained a no1curr show despite its awards success and was cancelled, making it end on a cliffhanger.

I have not seen Huff myself so correct me if I am wrong, but I wonder if Blythe Danner’s consecutive wins had to do more with industry goodwill and less with her submissions or Huff’s popularity (or lack thereof). She did also receive concurrent nominations around the time for Will & Grace and a TV movie.

FYC: "This Is Us", "The Good Fight", "Severance" & "Hacks" in all categories.

Juliette Lewis ("Yellowjackets "), Mandy Moore ("This Is Us"), Kavyan Novak ("What We Do In The Shadows "), Edie Falco ("Impeachment: American Crime Story"), Drew Tarver & Heléne Yorke ("The Other Two")

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I remember there being a post by a user on one of these threads who followed the Emmys back then saying Huff remained a no1curr show despite its awards success and was cancelled, making it end on a cliffhanger.

I’m pretty sure it’s one of those shows that for some complicated reason (it’s usually music licencing) isn’t on streaming.

I remember it (she was good) but she was having a hot streak and had a bunch of nominations in a few years in the early 00s. She was in Will and Grace around that time, she’d also had some very successful theatre, and I’m pretty sure her most commercially successful films were around that time.

The Paltrows/Danners were also press fodder for several years around that time as well.

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

That was for season 1, back when it was not a sensation.

It is widely agreed that season 2 was a sharp decline from season 1, almost a caricature, a teenage drama. No Jules, no Kat? Zendaya basically a supporting actress with a showy episode? Completely pointless and unrealistic arcs with Fez and Lexi? Its season 2 hype explosion came from pop culture: having naked adults depict wild teens, not from excellence.

It is not widely agreed, stop lying to yourself. Check the scores on IMDB, on Rotten, on Metacritic, on Insta/YouTube comments, you live in a denial.

Your only argument is that children and teens like it, but then your big argument is that Jules and Kat had less screen time?! This is the definition of a bias teen fan.

What was widely agreed is that Fez and Lexi were one of the big highlights this season. You definitely have zero idea what you are talking about.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

It is not widely agreed, stop lying to yourself. Check the scores on IMDB, on Rotten, on Metacritic, on Insta/YouTube comments, you live in a denial. Your only argument is that children and teens like it, but then your big argument is that Jules and Kat had less screen time?! This is the definition of a bias teen fan. What was widely agreed is that Fez and Lexi were one of the big highlights this season. You definitely have zero idea what you are talking about.

As much as I don’t particularly fond for their hatred against Zendaya/Euphoria-related stuffs , they have valid points.

Season 2 was very.. very flawed. Their points about Kat and Jules are especially spot on. Overall writing its very uneven with lackluster payoff at the finale. I think most video essayist like Karsten Runquist has pointed out how flawed the Sophomore season is

With that being said, it become more popular by now and HBO is the Searchlight of TV Awards, they friggin know how to campaign their stuffs despite being a shitshow. Zendaya won an Emmy before and Sydney Sweeney did generate genuine buzz for her performance (Wasn’t a big fan but credit given where it due, kudos). Apatow prediction is a bit outrageous but given Lexi is a fan favourite from the second season I kind of get why Feinberg would predicts her.

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

FINAL VOTING: Drama 2010s (choose one per category)

Drama: Mad Men
    Lead actor: Jon Hamm – Mad Men
    Lead actress: Tatiana Maslany – Orphan Black
    Supporting actor: Aaron Paul – Breaking Bad
    Supporting actress: Maggie Smith – Downton Abbey
    Directing: “Offred” – The Handmaid’s Tale
    Writing: “START” – The Americans
    Ensemble: Downton Abbey

The most difficult thing I have done in a while.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 16)’ is closed to new replies.