Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 16)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 16)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 501 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
probablyROB
Manav
  • Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Please give them the Emmy for most stylish cast.

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

Euphoria is a popular show not respected and don’t compare it to GoT S8 (that was a mess but the competition was non existant). Any other nod Euphoria gets except for Zendaya, Sweeney and Colman would be a joke. Drama Series would be an absolute tragedy. Just because something is popular doesn’t mean it is respected or an actual awards player.

Profile picture
    ash898
    Topics:

Best Drama Actress in a Limited Series or Movie:

Amanda Seyfried – The Dropout
    Lily James – Pam and Tommy
    Jessica Chastain – Scenes from a Marriage
    Jessica Biel – Candy
    Margaret Qualley – Maid
    Elle Fanning – The Girl from Plainville

Great year for this category.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I don’t think comparisons to GoT are useful in terms of Euphoria. The shows have nothing in common except for being on HBO and a degree of nudity. Having the second-highest ratings doesn’t mean they are anywhere near as big as late stage GoT. It is a solidly popular show, even more popular with young audiences, but it does not have the broad appeal across generations that GoT did.

It is a totally different genre, it has different strengths and weaknesses below the line, the writing and directing styles are completely different. Half the nominated cast were over 40.

Profile picture
    TAF
    Topics:

I agree that Euphoria 2 doesn’t deserve the Drama Series nomination. But we should address the elephant in the room here: Squid Game is gonna be nominated because its popularity, the show was not that good.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

I don’t think comparisons to GoT are useful in terms of Euphoria. The shows have nothing in common except for being on HBO and a degree of nudity. Having the second-highest ratings doesn’t mean they are anywhere near as big as late stage GoT. It is a solidly popular show, even more popular with young audiences, but it does not have the broad appeal across generations that GoT did. It is a totally different genre, it has different strengths and weaknesses below the line, the writing and directing styles are completely different. Half the nominated cast were over 40.

Thank you. People who think Euphoria is worthy think that popularity is an indicator of excellence. GoT gave us four of the most brilliant, perfect, outstanding seasons of television, and four more which still blow anything Sam Levinson has done out of the water. If season 8 benefited from awarding the show for its stupendous achievements over nearly a decade, so be it. Euphoria cannot in any way shape of form claim that its shoddy second season “deserves” simply because it had a sort of fairly interesting season 1 and it increased glitter sales.

I agree that Euphoria 2 doesn’t deserve the Drama Series nomination. But we should address the elephant in the room here: Squid Game is gonna be nominated because its popularity, the show was not that good.

I agree Squid Game had some incredibly weak moments including the visit of the rich people, and the ending. But its high points and its clear message compensate, certainly in terms of nomination. However there are competitors which achieved a more even excellence across the season and they include Severance and Succession.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I have Euphoria predicted to get nominated for sure strictly due to its popularity and Zendaya winning in 2020. I haven’t watched season two but I couldn’t escape people talking about it everywhere while it aired on both Twitter and Reddit. I have not experienced a show being that popular across both platforms since GoT. I agree that and the HBO connection are all they have in common. But I was also one of the few saying GoT was pretty overrated during is middle season run and that the ending wasn’t as steep of a decline as everyone made it out to be. And most of the disappoint seemed to stem from people’s wish casting failing to come through even before they completely lost the plot in the final episodes.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

think that popularity is an indicator of excellence.

Granted, this system absolutely rewards popularity, however: it is still not broadly muti-generaionally popular and I don’t really get why Euphoria fans want to die on the hill that people of all generations are watching it. Teen shows should be made for teens and youngish adults. If a teen show is being made to bait horny 55 year old men it is not doing it’s job.

I am a very old millennial (late 30s) and it’s not even made for me. It’s interestingly made and there are elements and cast members that work for me, though. It’s also not a particularly deep show which is much clearer when you’re a little older. It always chooses style over substance.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I agree Squid Game had some incredibly weak moments including the visit of the rich people, and the ending. But its high points and its clear message compensate, certainly in terms of nomination. However there are competitors which achieved a more even excellence across the season and they include Severance and Succession.

You’re completely unable to dissassociate personal opinions to reasonable prediction. It’s not insane to assume Euphoria might be nominated due to its popularity. Emily in Paris and Cobra Kai did that.

Profile picture
    Mimikadd1
    Topics:

I probably the only one but every time I see the articles or co-stars of certain actors begging for them to be nominated it’s embarrassing even if they deserve to be.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/05/awards-insider-emmys-drama-supporting-actress-rhea-seehorn/amp

This, before that Mandy Moore.

Also now VF mentioned Hunter and Maude Apatow… Interesting.

Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

You’re completely unable to dissassociate personal opinions to reasonable prediction. It’s not insane to assume Euphoria might be nominated due to its popularity. Emily in Paris and Cobra Kai did that.

You can also argue that their immense popularity helped Glee, Schitt’s Creek and the Disney Plus shows at the Emmys as well. Would we even be considering Yellowstone without it’s mass audience.

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

Euphoria getting in Drama Series would be awful (Emily in Paris kind of awful) but expected due to it’s popularity, hopefully voters have better taste than that. Also, Glee, Schitts Creek and Wandavision nods for Series were deserving.

Profile picture
    L@br@dor
    Topics:

The Yellowstone mention is spot on

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Euphoria getting in Drama Series would be awful (Emily in Paris kind of awful) but expected due to it’s popularity, hopefully voters have better taste than that. Also, Glee, Schitts Creek and Wandavision nods for Series were deserving.

Glee and Euphoria are actually pretty decent comps in my opinion. If Glee was deserving than so is Euphoria in fact.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

You can also argue that their immense popularity helped Glee, Schitt’s Creek and the Disney Plus shows at the Emmys as well. Would we even be considering the Yellowstone without it’s mass audience.

Short answer: No
    The massive older-skewing audience, extensive press coverage related to it single handedly giving Paramount large profits and it’s SAG Ensemble nomination are the reasons it’s so firmly in the discussion.

Wrt The Squid Game discussion, one might be torn on the quality of the show but its impact and cultural significance can’t be denied. It has contributed in a big way to the recent surge of Korean and Japanese content and probably introduced a lot of people to West Asian culture for the first time. Should the Emmys honor such a cultural phenomenon which also is very good in its crafts (esp. Production Design) and has a fervent moral? Absolutely yes.

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 16)’ is closed to new replies.