Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 16)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 16)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 501 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
probablyROB
Manav
  • Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Squid Game ride on the coat tails of Parasite in my opinion.

Profile picture
    Yves Wearn
    Topics:

Euphoria getting in Drama Series would be awful (Emily in Paris kind of awful) but expected due to it’s popularity, hopefully voters have better taste than that. Also, Glee, Schitts Creek and Wandavision nods for Series were deserving.

This.

Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

Euphoria getting in Drama Series would be awful (Emily in Paris kind of awful) but expected due to it’s popularity, hopefully voters have better taste than that. Also, Glee, Schitts Creek and Wandavision nods for Series were deserving.

Agree about Euphoria S2 (and Emily) being embarrassing (potential) Series nominees (although there’s at least a half dozen Creative Arts categories I’d be ecstatic with Euphoria winning).

And not disagreeing that the latter three were absolutely deserving and of high quality, only pointing out that they were also aided in their popularity. Glee being a global phenomenon, Schitt’s Creek a Netflix comfortable stable and WandaVision the watercooler moment of the 1st covid variant/pre-vaccine era.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Squid Game ride on the coat tails of Parasite in my opinion.

This is like saying Fleabag rode on the coattails of The Crown. Parasite and Squid Game are not the same. They’re different in scope, tone, genre, and execution. Sure, they deal with similar themes, but Maid and The White Lotus also focus on stories of socioeconomic inequity. It feels reductive to say that it is only succeeding because of a very different, much more grounded recent Korean entertainment success story. Were people more open to foreign-language (particularly Asian) stories after Parasite? Absolutely! But to attribute Hwang Dong-hyuk’s recognition and praise to a different director just because they came from the same country is offensive to Hwang’s hard work and talent.

FYC: Pamela Adlon (Better Things) Rose Byrne (Physical) Danielle Deadwyler (Station Eleven) Elle Fanning (The Great) Luke Kirby (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel) Hamish Linklater (Midnight Mass) Margaret Qualley (Maid) Renee Rapp (The Sex Lives of College Girls) Sophie Thatcher (Yellowjackets) Heléne Yorke (The Other Two)

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

You’re completely unable to dissassociate personal opinions to reasonable prediction. It’s not insane to assume Euphoria might be nominated due to its popularity. Emily in Paris and Cobra Kai did that.

Why are you so obsessed with me? Stop policing me, you’re always like “I’m the boss of Gold Derby” dude no one cares.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    Kay
    Topics:

This Is Us will be the Emmy’s CODA I’m afraid. This final season is riveting.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Look, as reasonable as these Euphoria takes that you make. I dont particularly mind calling out a blind hater. I dont know what Zendaya did that made you dunk on her/anything Euphoria related everytime you had the chance.

I mean, thats obnoxious IMO

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

but its impact and cultural significance can’t be denied

Same goes for Euphoria, but the haters here deny it, double standards.

It has contributed in a big way to the recent surge of Korean and Japanese content and probably introduced a lot of people to West Asian culture for the first time.

That was Oldboy, Train to Busan and Parasite.

Praise be!

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

This is like saying Fleabag rode on the coattails of The Crown. Parasite and Squid Game are not the same. They’re different in scope, tone, genre, and execution. Sure, they deal with similar themes, but Maid and The White Lotus also focus on stories of socioeconomic inequity. It feels reductive to say that it is only succeeding because of a very different, much more grounded recent Korean entertainment success story. Were people more open to foreign-language (particularly Asian) stories after Parasite? Absolutely! But to attribute Hwang Dong-hyuk’s recognition and praise to a different director just because they came from the same country is offensive to Hwang’s hard work and talent.

I find the tone, scope, and execution extremely similar. They were both pulpy, surrealist indictments on capitalism and commentary on socioeconomic problems specific to the same region with obscene amounts of violence and tragedy that unfold in similarlyshocking ways. Pretending they don’t have a ton of similarities is being deliberately obtuse.

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

I probably the only one but every time I see the articles or co-stars of certain actors begging for them to be nominated it’s embarrassing even if they deserve to be.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/05/awards-insider-emmys-drama-supporting-actress-rhea-seehorn/amp

This, before that Mandy Moore.

I disagree, I think that is sweet and in both cases – incredibly deserving and overdue. Both NEED to happen. They are saying the same thing the audiences are saying, but they have the relevance and the popularity that we do not.

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

Pretending they don’t have a ton of similarities is being deliberately obtuse.

Exactly. As obtuse as saying that Euphoria has been watched only by children and that no one likes S2 when it has high notes and scores everywhere.

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

I’m curious to see if we are all underestimating the likes of The Gilded Age and Winning Time because they appeal to 2 very specific types of older voters.

I never even bothered trying Winning Time because it did not appeal to me.

Both are led by starry ensembles though and could rack up in below the line noms.

Profile picture
    EviAdd711
    Topics:

If it is, I’m done.

I enjoy This Is Us. It’s a great show and I’m sure there are a ton of amazing people who work on it. All the respect, truly.
    But in my personal opinion, if the Emmy’s are actually about choosing the best, most prestigious, highest quality show, then Succession, Severance, Pachinko or Ozark should win.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

if the Emmy’s are actually about choosing the best, most prestigious, highest quality show

I don’t think the Emmys should just be about Prestige and Quality. Then it just becomes a $$$$ / snobbery race.

I think they should go with the show that represents the moment in time best and that people connect to / are immersed in.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

That was Oldboy, Train to Busan and Parasite.

I meant wrt Television series. Squid Game probably did more to push viewers towards watching non-English shows than most other things. It was kind of like a gateway to East Asian content for many people.

Emmy FYC
    -Severance in all categories.
    -Ted Lasso in all categories.
    -The Dropout in all categories.

-Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Margaret Qualley, Colin Firth
    -Jung Ho-Yeon, Lee Yoo-Mi, Sarah Snook, Laura Linney.
    -Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Juno Temple, Sarah Lancashire and Martin Short.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 16)’ is closed to new replies.