Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 16)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 16)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 501 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
probablyROB
Manav
  • Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

MBB’s work is also being highly praised, especially for Episode 7. Some saying her strongest work to date. I feel like she’s not always mentioned because it’s kind of expected now, where as it’s not for Sink. Doesn’t mean her performance isn’t as worthy as it’s always been.

Yeah this is a fair point.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Patrick Fabian might actually get nominated after tonight. WOW. What a performance.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Who is MBB? I’m brain farting

Profile picture
    24Emmy
    Topics:

Who is MBB? I’m brain farting

Millie Bobby Brown

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

This could have been a great opportunity for them to try out a week-to-week model rather than a binge model, the latter of which seems to be on track to hurt them in the long run when it comes to some of their programs maintaining meaningful buzz, awards or otherwise. Excited for season 4 after the hiatus, but not too excited about the lengthy episodes as a passive viewer of the show.

I think to be fair re-configuring an ongoing show in to anything more than maybe split seasons is pretty unfair for returning fans and might actually end up counterproductive.

I think it’s a good idea, but they should probably try it with a new show.

Profile picture
    nat1612
    Topics:

Also, this is based on a more traditional TV model. The good thing about streaming & Netflix is creators aren’t stuck in a particular format / episode length. They can have the episode length match the story and the beats they’re trying to hit rather than always being the same traditional TV length, and tell their story in as many episodes that they need.

Profile picture
    Alienware
    Topics:

Also, this is based on a more traditional TV model. The good thing about streaming & Netflix is creators aren’t stuck in a particular format / episode length. They can have the episode length match the story and the beats they’re trying to hit rather than always being the same traditional TV length, and tell their story in as many episodes that they need.

You say good thing, I say the opposite.
    As I’ve stated before, I still haven’t seen any evidence that this actually makes for better television.

Writers/directors need restraint, and 99% of the time less is more.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

I think to be fair re-configuring an ongoing show in to anything more than maybe split seasons is pretty unfair for returning fans and might actually end up counterproductive. I think it’s a good idea, but they should probably try it with a new show.

I think every fan is different when it comes to their viewing habits, so I don’t know if it’s really that uniform. Netflix sticks to their binge model because they’ve found that it’s overall been commercially successful and audiences will just watch the shows whenever they can on the basis of convenience. I’ve had people in my circles, both online and in real life, tell me that they wish Netflix would have tried a different release strategy for Stranger Things’ new season. Ultimately, people should just do what works for them, but I just personally think a week-to-week model would have justified and accounted for the episode lengths and given time for said fans to catch up, while elongating public conversation and excitement around the show.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

Patrick Fabian might actually get nominated after tonight. WOW. What a performance.

When he gets nominated and Rhea Seehorn gets snubbed again…

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I think every fan is different when it comes to their viewing habits, so I don’t know if it’s really that uniform. Netflix sticks to their binge model because they’ve found that it’s overall been commercially successful and audiences will just watch the shows whenever they can on the basis of convenience. I’ve had people in my circles, both online and in real life, tell me that they wish Netflix would have tried a different release strategy for Stranger Things’ new season. Ultimately, people should just do what works for them, but I just personally think a week-to-week model would have justified and accounted for the episode lengths and given time for said fans to catch up, while elongating public conversation and excitement around the show.

I think one major problem with week to week release for a major internationally popular show like Stranger Things is piracy. It’s much easy to pirate/download illegally one episode at a time when it’s releasing weekly than to pirate all at once 7-8 hrs. I think Netflix suffers the same problem when they release a particular show in a particular country early. Piracy might have factored into them sticking to their binge model.

Emmy FYC
    -Severance in all categories.
    -Ted Lasso in all categories.
    -The Dropout in all categories.

-Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Margaret Qualley, Colin Firth
    -Jung Ho-Yeon, Lee Yoo-Mi, Sarah Snook, Laura Linney.
    -Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Juno Temple, Sarah Lancashire and Martin Short.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think one major problem with week to week release for a major internationally popular show like Stranger Things is piracy. It’s much easy to pirate/download illegally one episode at a time when it’s releasing weekly than to pirate all at once 7-8 hrs. I think Netflix suffers the same problem when they release a particular show in a particular country early. Piracy might have factored into them sticking to their binge model.

I also disagree that (all) shows need extended, week-to-week discourse. Certain shows do. Mystery box shows always benefit.

I think shows being marketed for awards need controlled and measured coverage, and I think especially with Netflix, they need to be dated appropriately and programmed with complementary content (ie: The Crown and The Queen’s Gambit, Ozark / Inventing Anna to advantage Garner AND draw in interested viewers).

Profile picture
    Almond
    Topics:

Are the 2 episodes in July eligible if they were submitted by May 12th along with part 1 or will those have to be for next year given that they’re airing even after June?

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Are the 2 episodes in July eligible if they were submitted by May 12th along with part 1 or will those have to be for next year given that they’re airing even after June?

Nope, they are not eligible for 2022, and it means they can’t submit the series or actors in drama for 2023 (they can run them similar to Euphoria last year in BTL categories).

They should have The Crown and almost certainly Bridgerton but I think they’re probably going to also need to run something new as well.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

To confirm on that:

Stranger Things only eligible for eps 1-7 in this round. 8-9 in eligible for program and actors next round

Better Caul only eligible for eps 1-7 in this round. Part 2 eligible in 2023.

Obi-Wan (May 27 release) move to limited and will compete in 2023 (likely due to the leak risk of placing it on the platform).

Time Traveler’s Wife forgoes Emmy eligibility (likely due to reviews) in either round by not establishing itself as a series before cut off

Ozark parts 1 and 2 considered as 1 season.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

They should have The Crown and almost certainly Bridgerton but I think they’re probably going to also need to run something new as well.

Hmm I don’t know about Bridgerton. Didn’t they start shooting season 2 in May?

Netflix should have The Diplomat (starring Keri Russell) out during next cycle (and potentially even by the end of this year) though. Cameras began rolling on it last month.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 16)’ is closed to new replies.