Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 17)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 17)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 521 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
wolfali
Manav
  • Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Am I the only one who really doesn’t see Bridgerton getting a nomination this year? That felt like a COVID thing.

I’m not super secure in predicting it (I waffle between it and This Is Us in that eighth slot most days), but there’s a few reasons I think it’ll just slide in:

1) Below the Line Support: As we’ve seen in the past, this can often be a big deciding factor that pushes a show over the line. It did very well at the Creative Emmy nominations last year, and there’s no reason to believe it’ll lose that support this time.

2) Massive Viewership: This show is HUGELY popular, apparently even more so than Stranger Things. We’ll have to see if Bridgerton’s S2 record is broken by ST in a few days, but either way, it’s pulling crazy numbers. If we’re counting that as a plus for Squid Game, ST, and even Euphoria, we have to here as well.

3) Improved Reception: This season dropped a few points on Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes, which is curious because the general public consensus (at least as far as I’ve gathered) has been more positive with the second season, and this has been reflected in audience scores:

IMDB EPISODE RATING AVERAGE
    S1: 7.6
    S2: 8.025

METACRITIC USER SCORE
    S1: 5.9
    S2: 7.2

ROTTEN TOMATOES AUDIENCE SCORE
    S1: 72%
    S2: 80%

Granted, these aren’t huge bumps, but enough to show that on the whole, viewers like this season more than last. (Personally, I hadn’t even started Bridgerton until the second season dropped and everyone started clamoring over it much more than the first season, as more than a guilty pleasure.)

FYC: Pamela Adlon (Better Things) Rose Byrne (Physical) Danielle Deadwyler (Station Eleven) Elle Fanning (The Great) Luke Kirby (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel) Hamish Linklater (Midnight Mass) Margaret Qualley (Maid) Renee Rapp (The Sex Lives of College Girls) Sophie Thatcher (Yellowjackets) Heléne Yorke (The Other Two)

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Mandy Moore’s Interview for Gold Derby

Emmy FYC
    -Severance in all categories.
    -Ted Lasso in all categories.
    -The Dropout in all categories.

-Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Margaret Qualley, Colin Firth
    -Jung Ho-Yeon, Lee Yoo-Mi, Sarah Snook, Laura Linney.
    -Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Juno Temple, Sarah Lancashire and Martin Short.

Profile picture
    Brayfers
    Topics:

Love, love, love that you have Severance in for writing! You don’t think Stiller is top 3 for directing the finale, though? It’s a tough one!

I think it’s absolutely deserving and would personally give it to Severance, but Idk I just feel like Severance S1 will be more of a writers’ branch thing like Succession S1 was.

Letterboxd: Brayfers

Multi-Grammy Winning Artist - Olivia Rodrigo

!! EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE - OUT NOW !!

FYC:
    - Squid Game
    - Severance
    - This Is Us
    - Stranger Things
    - Reservation Dogs

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I cannot wait to finally be able to see this season over here. Every clip I’ve seen of hers is so great.

I really would like her to be nominated.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I’m not super secure in predicting it (I waffle between it and This Is Us in that eighth slot most days), but there’s a few reasons I think it’ll just slide in:

For the most part I agree with your rationale here. It’s not to me a top end contender, but it’s popularity, the better received season, and the BTL support make me think it’ll sneak in (perhaps just for series).

On a certain level last year, the Rege-Jean Page infatuation was dragging the discourse down. That’s not a slight on Page, but the way it was covered was so flighty.

(I do however suspect the viewership for the show swerves more European than it does American, though it’s clearly plenty popular in America).

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I’m curious to see if she’s gonna do the full campaigning trail like THR roundtable or Actor on Actor, which she has never done before

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I’m curious to see if she’s gonna do the full campaigning trail like THR roundtable or Actor on Actor, which she has never done before

I think if NBC is savvy, it will recognise the opportunity they have at their hands and might really push Mandy Moore (who knows we might see her do the THR roundtable and even more). And if she does gets nominated, I won’t be surprised if NBC steps up it’s campaigning game and do something similar to what FX did for MJ Rodriguez, that is, extensive campaigning (unlike Rodriguez, the only actress Moore has to compete who’s show is top 5 is Linney who’s character isn’t Academy friendly). If they are clever, they will focus on “last chance” and “under rewarded”.

Emmy FYC

Profile picture
    keybored
    Topics:

I think if NBC is savvy, it will recognise the opportunity they have at their hands and might really push Mandy Moore (who knows we might see her do the THR roundtable and even more). And if she does gets nominated, I won’t be surprised if NBC steps up it’s campaigning game and do something similar to what FX did for MJ Rodriguez, that is, extensive campaigning (unlike Rodriguez, the only actress Moore has to compete who’s show is top 5 is Linney who’s character isn’t Academy friendly). If they are clever, they will focus on “last chance” and “under rewarded”.

Except for a few exceptions, thr round table is a bunch of also rans. Mandy probably smart to sit this one out.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Sandra eating up the rest of them like that.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:
    keybored
    Topics:

the way only  hoyeon  and ricci have a chance from that lineup. thr didn’t even try with this cover

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Sandra Oh on Emmy nominations morning after Gold Derby calls her a non-factor for another Emmy season in a row:

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

Mandy is going on tour from 6/10 – 7/24 so she’ll be newly available to do a lot of campaigning for the win if she is indeed nominated. She’s definitely peaking at the right time. I’ve never been more confident in her getting nominated.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I think the nomination is the bigger hurdle for Mandy Moore than the win.

Emmy FYC

Profile picture
    Mimikadd1
    Topics:

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 521 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 17)’ is closed to new replies.