Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 17)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 17)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 521 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
wolfali
Manav
  • Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Collider reports via the Licencing Expo that Wednesday will be out in the fall. Logically, I’d guess it’s their Halloween release (good for Ricci to have two shows in quick succession next year even if she can’t sneak in this year, and helpful to probably be doing early promo for that if she does get through)

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Genuine question – can you deservingly overperform? Like, is the idea of overperforming in the context of these boards that (a) the show is doing better than the quality warrants or (b) the show is doing better than experts and/or GD predicted?

It’s usually (b) but sometimes it can also be (a). Case in point, last year’s Emmys. The Handmaid’s Tale getting that buckload of acting nominations was more of (b) while Hamilton getting so many acting nominations was more of (a) along with (b).

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

After watching that roundtable pretty confident Hoyeon is winning. Actors seem to adore her.

I have her winning over Garner and Snook at the moment; seems like the industry is included in the droves of people who watched Squid Game and the SAG win seems to be evident of that. As long as Jung doesn’t get randomly snubbed, I think she’s winning.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I have her winning over Garner and Snook at the moment; seems like the industry is included in the droves of people who watched Squid Game and the SAG win seems to be evident of that. As long as Jung doesn’t get randomly snubbed, I think she’s winning.

I think it was JV (not sure) who pointed out that an actor who’s won an individual Drama SAG for a Supporting performance has never lost the Emmy. That coupled with the fact that she won for a non-English performance after being completely unknown in the United States presents a really compelling case for an Emmy victory.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

i am wary of the voters’ history of never not being racist against east asians, but we shall see.

at least there’s no risk of a caucasian co-star pulling an awful heigl or awful comer on her.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

Weird parallel among the three best drama series this season (in my opinion: Succesion, Better Call Saul, Severance). Strong openings, middle episodes that potentially underwhelm but not enough for anyone to really doubt the series quality, then finales that absolutely blow the roof off the house. Having a hard time thinking of better episodes this season than All the Bells Say, Plan and Execution, and The We We Are. Of course theyre all competing against eachother.

imdb rankings:

succession finale>8>3>5>7/1>2>4>6

saul finale>3>2>1>4>6>5

severance finale>7/8>4>1>2/6>3/5

people don’t seem to love the premieres all that much, but they do love the finales the most.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

i am wary of the voters’ history of never not being racist against east asians, but we shall see. at least there’s no risk of a caucasian co-star pulling an awful heigl or awful comer on her.

Both Comer and Heigl highly deserved their wins. It’s not their fault Sandra never managed to win for those shows. Her never winning an Emmy for Grey’s Anatomy is one of the biggest robberies ever but Heigl win was very much deserved.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

no they didn’t invent systemic racism.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I had no idea…

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

it isn’t binary. Everything is not about wins. Heigl never got another Emmy nomination. Oh is in double figures.

This also doesn’t deny the fact that systemic racism is very much alive and well and/or hasn’t deeply affected Oh at times (Heigl’s win has aged poorly because of Heigl’s future career, but made a lot of sense in context of that season’s performance and her being in a massive rom com hit during voting).

jjjmoss, I actually think your callouts are really valid, but can you be a bit more straightforward with them and stop with the passive aggressiveness against other nominees? You have such solid, valid things to say, but you’re just going to antagonise people if you phrase things the way you do. you’re making your points less effective IMHO.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

If you had to chose one person in this category who is too low in the current odds, who would it be?

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I only watched 2 seasons of Killing Eve. I tried to watch the third season but it was pretty much immediately unwatchable and a different show. Season 2 pretty much crap in comparison to the first season too. But Comer was definitely the star of those first two seasons and acted circles around most of the competition, including her co-star. None of that is a slight on anyone else. But putting down Comer’s performance says a lot about how undiscerning the person saying it is. Maybe you didn’t love her performance but calling it awful is objectively wrong.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

This Is Us had it’s highest ratings in the last three seasons for the finale: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/tv-ratings-tuesday-may-24-2022-1235154007/ Good to see a trend of behavior of dropping back in even if you aren’t caught up. I can imagine a lot of voters probably just watching the last few episodes given the buzz if they’ve just caught up.

”Beyond TV ratings, the finale also generated 1.5 million social media interactions across platforms including Twitter and Instagram, the most of any scripted series finale of the season, NBC added.”

NBC throwing shades at Ozark and Killing Eve lol

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

If you had to chose one person in this category who is too low in the current odds, who would it be?

Since I’m not sure which category you’re specifying, so:

Drama Actress: Britt Lower, Severance (18th in the odds)

Drama Supporting Actress: Regina Hall, Nine Perfect Strangers (44th in the odds) and Melissa McCarthy, Nine Perfect Strangers (43rd in the odds)

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Nine Perfect Strangers was so bad though. I wanted to like it but it just never happened.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 521 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 17)’ is closed to new replies.