Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 18)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 18)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 500 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
probablyROB
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Braun and Ruck have zero chance in my opinion, I would be shocked if they make it.

Absolute LOL at saying that a past nominee in a series frontrunner has zero chance of making it.

Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

I’m not predicting Nicholas Braun and even though I’m not comfortable with it I feel that he’s like the Maisie Williams of Succession. Just like his character, hers was the fan favorite in the series frontrunner and got in for season 6. However, the field got stronger when season 7 came and she missed for not doing much in the season, but later got in again for season 8. My prediction is they’ll do the same with Braun and his second nomination is only coming next year.

Profile picture
    Yves Wearn
    Topics:

I dont think he should be nominated cause he didnt have much to do, but Braun is an easy namecheck, playing a very popular caracter among fans (which most of the voters seem to be) in the series frontrunner. Ruck is the one on the fence, like the odds suggest, not him.

He didn’t have enough good material last season either. I believe the laziness is just gonna prevail again and they’ll end up namecheking everyone from Succession

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Me to Emmy voters who aren’t voting for Yellowjackets after going all in and slotting Juliette Lewis in and taking Bridgerton out for it:

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    almanzarlamarcarlile
    Topics:

Done in order of likelihood for a nomination:

Drama Series
    1. Succession
    2. Squid Game
    3. Ozark
    4. Severance
    5. Stranger Things
    6. Better Call Saul
    7. Yellowstone
    8. This Is Us
    (9. Yellowjackets)

Drama Actress
    1. Laura Linney, Ozark
    2. Melanie Lynskey, Yellowjackets
    3. Jennifer Aniston, The Morning Show
    4. Sandra Oh, Killing Eve
    5. Jodie Comer, Killing Eve
    6. Mandy Moore, This Is Us
    (7. Zendaya, Euphoria)

Drama Actor
    1. Jeremy Strong, Succession
    2. Brian Cox, Succession
    3. Lee Jung-Jae, Squid Game
    4. Jason Bateman, Ozark
    5. Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us
    6. Adam Scott, Severance
    (7. Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul)

Drama Supporting Actress
    1. Julia Garner, Ozark
    2. Sarah Snook, Succession
    3. Jung Ho-yeon, Squid Game
    4. Patricia Arquette, Severance
    5. Millie Bobby Brown, Stranger Things
    6. J. Smith-Cameron, Succession
    7. Christina Ricci, Yellowjackets
    8. Sadie Sink, Stranger Things
    (9. Julianna Margulies, The Morning Show)

Drama Supporting Actor
    1. Kieran Culkin, Succession
    2. Matthew Macfadyen, Succession
    3. Billy Crudup, The Morning Show
    4. Oh Yong-Soo, Squid Game
    5. Giancarlo Esposito, Better Call Saul
    6. Nicholas Braun, Succession
    7. John Turturro, Severance
    8. Chris Sullivan, This Is Us
    (9. David Harbour, Stranger Things)

Everything Everywhere All At Once & Renaissance sweep truther

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Like wolfali, I’ve dropped Bridgerton which feels comfortable to me since I believe the hype has been taken over by Stranger Things, Netflix has bigger priorities and Bridgerton doesn’t seem to be a branch favourite for actors and I don’t see it retaining support from Directors, Editors and Writers in this tough field.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Absolute LOL at saying that a past nominee in a series frontrunner has zero chance of making it.

To the same note, the fact Ruck already missed after everyone seemingly was nominated before makes me believe he had chose to no chance this year in a much tougher field. Braun is right on the bubble though for sure.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

There’s a trend that shows that win Series Emmys almost always expand in acting nominations at the next Emmys, which has become a recurring trend even after countless voting system changes. Happened with 30 Rock in 2009, Modern Family in 2011 & 2012, Homeland in 2013, Game Of Thrones in 2016, Veep in 2016, The Handmaid’s Tale in 2018, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel in 2019.

I don’t see why Succession won’t expand in acting after winning in 2020.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

To the same note, the fact Ruck already missed after everyone seemingly was nominated before makes me believe he had chose to no chance this year in a much tougher field. Braun is right on the bubble though for sure.

I would say that Smith-Cameron is a safer prediction than Braun.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I would say that Smith-Cameron is a safer prediction than Braun.

On the other hand, I think Braun is safer by virtue of being a past nominee and being more prominent in campaign events for the show (not that the show needs that!).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s not a trend but rather more a stat that has come about due to the current Emmy nominating system’s reliance on visibility. Every time a show wins something important it essentially serves as an advertisement for the show and to people in the industry and general audiences who weren’t already watching a show start to watch it and thus the show gains more visibility.

The visibility Succession has within the industry is no different to what it had for season 2 which it already achieved its nominations explosion with after generating strong critical buzz and upending what was then an unstoppable awards titan in Game of Thrones at the major guilds just before a global lockdown in which everyone was at home doing almost nothing but exercising and watching television happened. Now whilst it enters this nomination period as the frontrunner (and potential drama series winner) it’s not entering with the same overall momentum and recency. In part that’s because there’s been such a big break between its seasons and the awards cycles its competed in (which wasn’t the case with any of the cases, repeat winners or not, mentioned in the post above me) but also because the competitors it is up against are much stronger. In 2020 the only shows it was up against that actually won anything of note at the winter awards were The Morning Show (which ended up doing very well in acting nominations at the Emmys) and The Crown which won SAG ensemble but generated zero buzz from it. Ozark was the closest thing to a challenger to it and that was a show that wasn’t anywhere near as ensemble based as it was nor was it one that the Television Academy seemed to like more than it respected (it went 1 for 18 in wins : nominations ration). This year it’s competing in these acting categories against shows that whilst they might not necessarily be stronger contenders in series than it are shows with the same type of ascendant industry and critical momentum that it and The Morning Show had in 2020 (Severance, Yellowjackets and Yellowstone). Likewise it’s also competing against more buzzed about (and generally more acclaimed) seasons of perennial nominees Stranger Things and This is Us that are peaking in buzz close to voting which is something that wasn’t the case last time round.

Succession is obviously the frontrunner in series and will probably do well for itself in acting nominations on July 12th (the main quintet of Cox, Culkin, Macfadyen, Snook and Strong are locked in) but it’s a show that has arguably already achieved its “branch out” in nominations when it last competed two years ago and has much stronger competition in these supporting categories than really any incumbent series winner in either comedy or drama has faced in a long while. I’m currently predicting 12 nominations for it (and I’m quite bullish about it coat-tailing multiple guests with how barren those fields are this year) but I don’t think it’s implausible to say that it just gets 9 like it did last time and miss for someone like Braun whilst getting in someone like Skarsgard in guest so there’s no net gain or loss. After all Game of Thrones, which went on to win drama series in 2018 after an Emmy cycle off, went from 6 acting nods and 0 wins down to 4 and 1 win.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s tragic that Jin Ha stands no chance at a nomination for Pachinko when he really wipes the floor with some of the frontrunners in that drama actor category.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Finished Severance. The first 6 episodes were a bit slow to get through but the last three were, without a question, some of the best television of the year. Absolute perfection. The acting, directing, writing, editing, everything. Scott, Lower, Turturro, Tillman, Cherry, Vazquez, all deserve awards recognition. Stiller and Erickson also better get their very deserved accolades. I do have to say, I have no idea wtf Arquette was doing. She was awful in this, especially in the last three episodes. I usually like her but this was very disappointing.

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

Arquette was not at her best form here, she was bad sometimes, like she didn’t know how to play her character. The only reason I’m predicting her is because she’s Patricia Arquette

Profile picture
    TV_Lover
    Topics:

It’s tragic that Jin Ha stands no chance at a nomination for Pachinko when he really wipes the floor with some of the frontrunners in that drama actor category.

Agree. At least we’ll have next season! Maybe if Pachinko gets some nominations this year, he can pick up steam.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 18)’ is closed to new replies.