Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 18)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 18)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 500 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
probablyROB
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Deadline has been saying the 10 slots for Comedy and Drama on their podcast too but they are just wrong I believe. Which is no surprise.

10 slots in Comedy would have been great for this year specifically.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Kelly Reilly is about to pass Sandra Oh in the odds..

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Kelly Reilly is about to pass Sandra Oh in the odds..

I’ve watched a few scenes of Yellowstone and she seems to be AMAZING! Her nomination would kinda be inspired.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I’ve watched a few scenes of Yellowstone and she seems to be AMAZING! Her nomination would kinda be inspired.

I think Reilly’s great. Costner is serviceable in that very “hold the fort” way but Reilly is the MVP of the show to me. I could take or leave the rest of the show getting in (outside of the fact I think their stunts team is EXTREMELY nomination worthy, shame on SAG for picking Mare of Easttown instead) but I’d really love to see Reilly.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I’m just standing by to see critics/publications suddenly lose love with Succession if it gets 14 acting nominations the way they’ve turned against some acting juggernauts in the past.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

What’s the over under on Succession acting nominations this year? 8.5? If so I’m taking the under.

Profile picture
    MrAmerica
    Topics:

If you can’t see that Succession and Severance are critiques of the same man as Squid Game, I can’t help you.

I am not the poster of the comment you’re responding to here, but for the record, I find this incredibly condescending. I don’t think the poster needs you to clarify who / what Succession / Severance / Squid Game are critiquing (the critiques are not exactly subtle), but that’s also not the point of their comment. They said that Succession / Severance were ‘white man centered shows’, which they are. The shows may be critiquing capitalism, but in how the creators chose to do so they ended up with shows with nearly all white casts – and regardless of the shows’ themes, that decision was an intentional one and it is not above reproach.

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

What I’m finding really tricky with Yellowstone is it really is the show that pundits are just pulling for more than anything this year. And it’s hard to deny that’s because it matches a lot of their tastes and also is a perfect fit for those who like to believe that Emmy voters are still inclined to the same kind of thing as they were 20 years ago. I have it doing well because of visibility but I wonder if Series will be it for it above the line.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I have Kelly Reilly in purely because the field is wide open and recent trends have shown that SAG ensemble nominated series do tend to land somewhere in these above the line acting categories (the last complete shut out was with True Blood in 2010 and that was obviously under a different system) and there seems to be a lot of passion for her performance. That being said I do feel weird predicting her and not Costner when he’s the Academy Award winning Hollywood film star who is the face of this show. Then again the drama actor field is ultra competitive and I just feel like each of the 6 performers I’m currently predicting in that category have a lot more in their favour.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Unless the TV Academy gets an influx of Midwestern voters I doubt Yellowstone is going to do as well as it is being predicted by many at this point.

Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

Am I the only one who can’t figure out what to do with Yellowstone?

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Am I the only one who can’t figure out what to do with Yellowstone?

No. I think it’s going to get in, but “lightly” – maybe program, maybe Costner, maybe Reilly. Perhaps twice above the line? I do think it’s pretty well made and may have a bit more support than we think there. I don’t think it will deviate outside of those two in actor.

I think it might expand to a few more BTL noms too.

I think people’s comments on Reilly getting in without Costner are valid but I think their preference for Garner’s showiness versus the more subdued Bateman are a good comparison here, plus Reilly has the open field. Bateman’s got a lot else going for him behind the camera, though, so it’s not a 1 for 1

I do think it has some LA support, mostly in older voters and actors not originally in LA, when I hear people bring it up, that’s usually who is most invested.

Quite how much I’m not clear, and I have a sneaking suspicion SAG might be a bit more geographically diverse (and a little older) than Emmys voters, both of which work in Yellowstone’s favour.

(I also think a lot of people – not all – commenting on Yellowstone haven’t ever watched Yellowstone, or haven’t watched this season). I would challenge people to watch the pilot of Season 4 if nothing else.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

If someone can’t see/understand the excitement of this moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH1sxYGdUr0

then I agree that they can’t help me.
    But perhaps the representation and energy that the likes of Jesse Armstrong, Dan Erickson, Ben Stiller, or Mark Mylod bring is the apotheosis of what they consider important in entertainment and life.

Profile picture
    film123
    Topics:

I am not the poster of the comment you’re responding to here, but for the record, I find this incredibly condescending. I don’t think the poster needs you to clarify who / what Succession / Severance / Squid Game are critiquing (the critiques are not exactly subtle), but that’s also not the point of their comment. They said that Succession / Severance were ‘white man centered shows’, which they are. The shows may be critiquing capitalism, but in how the creators chose to do so they ended up with shows with nearly all white casts – and regardless of the shows’ themes, that decision was an intentional one and it is not above reproach.

Don’t try to reason with String Cheese Theory. They’re a White Feminist obsessed with slandering Zendaya and their next subject seems to be Squid Game. The disconnect between GD and the general public is amusing considering Squid Game was a phenomenon and is beloved even by the industry judging by its two SAG wins.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Squid Game is the current runner up to Succession. Ozark and Stranger Things are probably 3 and 4. Severance is probably #5 at this point although the nominations can boost it to #3 or #4.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 18)’ is closed to new replies.