Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 18)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 18)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 500 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
probablyROB
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Isn’t it kind of hard to definitively attribute much of it to that when literally everyone got nominated for the final season of GoT? I guess in theory but I feel like people were clamoring for him to get a nomination for a few seasons there too.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Isn’t it kind of hard to definitively attribute much of it to that when literally everyone got nominated for the final season of GoT? I guess in theory but I feel like people were clamoring for him to get a nomination for a few seasons there too.

I mean it’s impossible to tell, but they had other self submissions on the ballot. No one was clamouring for Allen that particular season,  he’d done next to no press, and I think it was calculated he says something like 98 words all season. Hiam Abbass getting a supporting nom for Successioon is probably the equivalent, I think.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

I think Alfie Allen would have happened regardless of that ballot placement. People had been pushing for a nom for him since S3/S4. And this was the first time he was on the ballot since GoT became huge. There isn’t anything more to that.

I’m also of the opinion that having multiple popular viable contenders clustered next to each other is more detrimental than helpful. The Washington, Wever and Witherspoon trio from 2020 comes to mind.

Voters are likelier to check off more people if the contenders are more spread out. It’s an unlimited ballot and voters do pick more than they should but checking off 5/6 names in near continuity might be a bit much even for them.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Voters are likelier to check off more people if the contenders are more spread out. It’s an unlimited ballot and voters do pick more than they should but checking off 5/6 names in near continuity might be a bit much even for them.

THIS.
    I’m of the opinion that there is some sort of ceiling to the number of people voters would check off on an unlimited ballot, especially for a particular show, which makes me reconsider how many actors will Succession actually get in. Will voters really check off four guest actors from the same show that is not named SNL or it’s parody 30 Rock? Wrt to the JSC being close to Snook, I don’t think it matters where she is if voters just don’t care for her performance. Last year Guy Pearce (a bigger name than JSC) was on the ballot very close to Evan Peters yet missed out despite the acting branch loving Mare Of Easttown mainly because enough voters just didn’t think he did Emmy nomination worthy work. Also, I do think that if contenders from the same show are close to each other on the ballot, they might be subconsciously compared by a voter and picked accordingly.

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

Some of y’all are overthinking everything waiting for these noms to come out.

Generally speaking, there is a lot of competition this year and I personally think the Emmy voters are going to spread the love to reflect that. I don’t see any one show dominating and massively over performing.

In terms of Succession, it aired so early on in the eligibility period and doesn’t have the same “discovery hype” it had for Season 2. It is still great and will still pick up plenty of noms for its actors, but I am skeptical that it will be able to score 6 supporting noms & 5-6 guest noms, as some here are predicting.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think Alfie Allen would have happened regardless of that ballot placement. People had been pushing for a nom for him since S3/S4. And this was the first time he was on the ballot since GoT became huge. There isn’t anything more to that.

Ah, I’d forgotten that he’d not been on the ballot for a bit, which makes a little more sense. Put it this way, there was no specific push for him the way there was with the rest of the cast, but that’s also true of some of the Handmaid’s noms last year, which probably nullifies my point.

Profile picture
    Joe Langer
    Topics:

Hello everyone,

Dan, Joseph’s son writing. I work at Ipsos and we have been conducting an interactive analytical check on consuming patterns of audiences worldwide and their tendencies to buy products. The report is more or less complied and since it’s not confidential, my father asked me to share some of the information with you because he thought you might find it interesting! Selective examples. I’ve left out the information regarding products and their suggested price ranges. Information provided only for English shows.

[Citation]

(I) Conservative and liberal preferences.

The Office- Conservative

Friends- Conservative

30 Rock- Liberal

Modern Family- Both Conservative and Liberal

How I Met Your Mother- Conservative

Veep- Highly Liberal

The Big Bang Theory-Conservative

The Crown-Extremely conservative

Game of Thrones-Both Conservative and Liberal

Breaking Bad- Liberal

Homeland-Conservative

+876 more shows

Yellowstone-Highly Conservative

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel-Liberal

The Handmaid’s Tale-Extremely Liberal

Ted Lasso- Conservative

Mad Men- Alarmingly Liberal

Succession-Liberal

Squid Game- Conservative

Black-ish- Conservative

This Is Us – Conservative

Abbott Elementary- Conservative

Stranger Things- insufficient

+213 more shows

Shows with both Conservative and Liberal support are the ones with least polarisation. Shows that are very conservative have like fraction less than 70 but more than 45 like fraction. Shows with very liberal branches have like fraction between 50 and 25.

(II) Shows with maximum like fraction

(Percentage ratio of number of users who like to the number who watch)

Modern Family – 94%

Friends – 92%

Game of Thrones -91%

The Office – 87%

Squid Game – 81%

+34 shows

(III) Shows with 50+ appeal factor in Asia, Europe and North America

(50+ thumbs up per 80 participants)

Friends, Modern Family, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, The Office.

(IV) Shows with appeal across both Asia, North America and Europe and across Liberal and Conservative audiences.

Only three shows.

Modern Family, Game of Thrones, The Office

Member of the Screen Actors Guild. Inducted in 1999.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Abbott Elementary is a … conservative series?

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Some of these are hilarious. Imagine Squid Game being anyway conservative when it’s essentially a takedown of capitalism

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

What is alarmingly liberal mean in the context of Mad Men watchers?

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Some of these are hilarious. Imagine Squid Game being anyway conservative when it’s essentially a takedown of capitalism

That assumes everyone taking a deeper meaning from it.

Which they frequently don’t.

They see it as a high stakes scripted game show.

Should be pointed that all network shows lean conservative, which checks out on the fact by age profile they would be likely to.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Mad Men’s a curio for me because I feel like the viewership has changed since it aired, particularly post Me Too.

I have found conservative leaning Americans I know dislike shows about rich people in cities almost indiscriminately in recent times (that does feel like a specifically American conservative thing though), though, to be fair, I think the opposite is also true.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Abbott Elementary is a … conservative series?

I don’t think the study is about the shows themselves, but the audience watching them. Abbott Elementary attracting a conservative audience isn’t surprising considering that’s how ABC comedies have been skewing for years.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I don’t think the study is about the shows themselves, but the audience watching them. Abbott Elementary attracting a conservative audience isn’t surprising considering that’s how ABC comedies have been skewing for years.

Yep, especially when it’s so early in its’ run.

Profile picture
    Joe Langer
    Topics:

Dan again.

The analytical coverage was mainly aimed at the types of audiences attracted by the shows which may or may not be a reflection of the kind of content of the show itself.

That assumes everyone taking a deeper meaning from it. Which they frequently don’t. They see it as a high stakes scripted game show. Should be pointed that all network shows lean conservative, which checks out on the fact by age profile they would be likely to.

Accurate. The study showed Will & Grace as a major exception skewing slightly more liberal than Conservative.

It means that liberal viewers constitute the audience of Mad Men in an overwhelming manner which is very alarming. Behavioural and consumption patterns highlight that conservative shows are more successful when it comes to the ratings mainly because they appeal to liberal voters as well upto some extent. The converse is not true since liberal shows typically don’t tend to be liked enough by conservative audiences to continue watching which hampers kills off a large fraction of the population when it comes to product buying. But there’s a catch. Liberal audiences typically tend to buy higher cost products and upper middle to luxury driven products which are valuable to any company advertising its products while conservative audiences typically tend to buy less and lower middle to daily utility products during shows. Mad Men, Veep among others having very liberal viewers is poor for its longevity since its deters away a major fraction of audiences which comprise conservative and Asian households which makes the shows very divisive but attract what you’d call wealthy households which buy products, hence is a mixed bag.

Some shows like Stranger things were difficult to gauge because of teen infiltration into the research which had to be eliminated since teens don’t shop when viewing. Father told this is an awards platform so if I plainly speak, then shows that have both conservative and liberal audiences are very broadly liked across all sections of society and Modern Family and Game of Thrones are the biggest examples. Consistent polling data from years have shows that they appeal to a majority of both liberal and conservative audiences (Republicans and Democrats in America both).  In 2012, both Presidential candidates Barack Obama and Mitt Romney called it their favorite show. Game of Thrones also has the conservative+liberal impact but it suffers from an additional problem where it repels away valuable audience that don’t like long term commitment to a fantasy show, something that is clearly highlighted by the like fraction of fantasy shows being relatively low in the analysis. The Big Bang Theory while conservative, attracts a large liberal audience and more importantly, Asian audiences which results in huge viewing numbers and longevity for shows like that, Friends, Squid Game and Modern Family. Modern Family is actually the sweetest spot when it comes to shows any conglomerate would like to produce. It’s worth disclaiming that like fraction could not be generated for shows that did not have ample amount of viewers in Asia and among all demographics.

Member of the Screen Actors Guild. Inducted in 1999.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 18)’ is closed to new replies.