Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 18)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 18)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 500 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
probablyROB
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I hope that clears up any confusion from my end.

I think we’re actually on pretty similar pages. I’m not under any illusions that CCA is gospel or esteemed, or that Critics have perfect alignment with the actors branch, I simply think it has some visibility.

Where I think we might differ is in general, I think most of their choices and in particular their winners are more or less reflective more broadly of general critical/press sentiment. My feelings on that are my own assessment though, I don’t necessarily need to convince everyone on that.

Their membership requirements are  roughly equivalent to Rotten Tomatoes approval*, random Twitter accounts I would say is a miscategorisation if you give them the benefit of the doubt and look at their members list (I take your point on how the awards are adjudicated though, entirely valid).

*I have a billion thoughts on that in and of itself but that’s a rant for another day lol.

Profile picture
    ricardo505
    Topics:

The personal awards thread was closed by the moderators due to Gold Derby voting going on.

Let’s open a new thread after voting closes!

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

Just sending this here for all the non BCS viewers, please watch: Youtube

It’s a 5 minute compilation of Rhea Seehorn greatests scenes on the show. I sent to a few friends who don’t watch the show (including forum’s user estrelas) and they all quite enjoyed. I think the compilation sums up quite fair why Rhea should have been nominated before and should be nominated this year.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think the compilation sums up quite fair why Rhea should have been nominated before and should be nominated this year.

Rhea is so frustrating. Most of the time if someone doesn’t get in, I get it. I think Rhea probably has the biggest public/critical sentiment divide with the Actors branch of anyone who has been in competition for a contender show over the last few years.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Rhea is so frustrating. Most of the time if someone doesn’t get in, I get it. I think Rhea probably has the biggest public/critical sentiment divide with the Actors branch of anyone who has been in competition for a contender show over the last few years.

I don’t think Rhea’s problem is that there’s a divide between critical consensus and the leanings of the actors branch but rather that the branch hasn’t been paying active attention to Better Call Saul since its first season which is probably something I’d argue has similarly happened with This is Us in the past and been why Mandy Moore only got in for the third season when actors went all out for the show. They didn’t nominate Michael McKean for season 3 even though most of the fanbase thought he was win worthy, nominated Esposito over Banks last year and snubbed Odenkirk, have never nominated Mando…

McKean got into guest when he was eligible for season 4 so we shall see if goodwill can help Seehorn upset Patricia Clarkson in the short form actress category this year with less voters overall voting on it but I think the day Rhea gets in is the day the branch changes its attitudes towards Better Call Saul and I’ve honestly lost hope of that happening. Which really is annoying because Rhea’s been nomination worthy for every single one of these seasons so far (yes every single one) and she should have two Emmys on her shelf already.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I don’t think Rhea’s problem is that there’s a divide between critical consensus and the leanings of the actors branch but rather that the branch hasn’t been paying active attention to Better Call Saul since its first season which is probably something I’d argue has similarly happened with This is Us in the past and been why Mandy Moore only got in for the third season when actors went all out for the show.

Yep, it’s probably visibility.

In both cases, still frustrating.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I don’t have a logical reason to feel this way but I would be completely shocked if Rhea Seehorn didn’t finally get nominated this year.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

I don’t have a logical reason to feel this way but I would be completely shocked if Rhea Seehorn didn’t finally get nominated this year.

I feel the same and the only way I can verbalize it is that it seems like a nomination for her feels particularly and palpably urgent this time around. I’m not a watcher of BCS, but from what I can tell as an awards predictor, many fans and pundits are pushing her hard because her snubs for every season so far have never appeared more glaringly obvious or gotten this much publicity. And with this being the last season and everything, I’ve noticed this extra push also stems from a place of giving her her flowers while they still can. Again, I haven’t watched BCS yet so I cannot speak to whether I personally believe Seehorn is nomination-worthy (and I’m not predicting her because I think the snub will ultimately come to pass again this year, despite the mass outpouring of support for her first nom, due to the crowded category), but I just can’t shake the feeling that she might get in after all.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Profile picture
    joesilver
    Topics:

Sadie Sink is gonna pull a Barb for Stranger Things this year.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

The final two episodes of Stranger Things got a bit off the rails but honestly that musical score is just sensational. Nothing is beating it in that category. Acting-wise it’s a travesty that Millie Bobby Brown is not lead, she well deserves lead and a lead nom at that. I wish they cut 2 hours from this season, but there were great moments and some series highlights for me. All in all, it’s just a massive, simply immense achievement from the Duffers and because I’m a sentimentalist, I am willing to excuse some weaknesses because I am the literal target audience and they got me good.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I wish they cut 2 hours from this season, but there were great moments and some series highlights for me. All in all, it’s just a massive, simply immense achievement from the Duffers and because I’m a sentimentalist, I am willing to excuse some weaknesses because I am the literal target audience and they got me good.

I had kept my expectations low this year – it’d been years, the pandemic, some of the quality of Netflix’s shows – but honestly, I’ve been really overall impressed with Season 4. It isn’t perfect, but it’s been really engaging, compelling, and high quality, and I honestly missed that feeling of “every third person I know is watching this” that it’s invoked.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Crikey. Has Netflix ever crashed before?

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Crikey. Has Netflix ever crashed before?

If it has, I can’t remember it.

Profile picture
    Nuebert
    Topics:

Now I REALLY want Sadie Sink to happen

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 18)’ is closed to new replies.