Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 18)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 18)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 500 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
probablyROB
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I have had Reilly in ever since she was moved to lead, but I think I’m going to take her out. The excuse of being too fresh to explain the SAG snub works for Yellowjackets, but not really for Yellowstone. Yes it also got PGA nom, but both her and Cotsner missing the individual nom makes me wonder if they are really that into it. People have been saying The Morning Show benefited from the weak field and is typically a show that will struggle with more competition, but I’m wondering if Yellowstone isn’t that aswell. And again, even in places Yellowstone did do well, Reilly and Costner still missed. So predicting her to get in at Emmys over even Witherspoon makes little sense to me ultimately, especially when TMS actually has an history of translating its SAG noms into Emmy noms and more (Duplass for s1). And please don’t use the MTV awards, they are Paramount owned.

I feel pretty confident with the top 5 of Zendaya, Linney, Moore, Lynskey and Aniston in whatever order. Right now I feel like the 6th slot will either go to Witherspoon, a Killing Eve actress, a 2nd Yellowjackets actress or Lower if Severance is coming to win Series. But I just have a recent hunch lately it won’t be Reilly.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Of course the Roy family was going to get nominated first, they are the audience’s pov. Gerri would be the first non-family member nominated and Stewie should have been nominated by now too.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

Neither Gerri or Stewy deserve to be nominated, much lees the lawyer of Kendall or Adrian Brody for taking a walk on the beach, you are overpredicting the acting nominations for the show like crazy. This is not and it will never be The Handmaid’s Tale (in terms of acting).

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

This is not and it will never be The Handmaid’s Tale (in terms of acting).

Ummmm… it literally went from 0 acting nominations in S1 to 9 noms in S2. The Handmaid’s Tale got 8 acting noms in S2. Add to all that: Succession is actually a SAG Award winning ensemble/show.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think a lot more people have discovered Yellowjackets since the Critic’s Choice awards and she’s also been doing a ton of press. I agree it is strange that they gave it to Lynskey but didn’t nominate Ricci. I don’t think that necessarily hurts her though since Lynskey’s win gave her the visibility needed with voters either way if it did anything at all.

I actually think Lynskey/Ricci tracks. Lynskey has frequently been critically acclaimed but undervalued. Ricci has always been more populist, she’s the “in” for people you tell about  the show.

I agree that the Winona comparisons are valid, I think there is a chance Lynskey is just a Critics thing and Ricci could just be a gen-pop thing. Am interested to see how it shakes out. I do think they’ve both campaigned really well, though.

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

Ummmm… it literally went from 0 acting nominations in S1 to 9 noms in S2. The Handmaid’s Tale got 8 acting noms in S2. Add to all that: Succession is actually a SAG Award winning ensemble/show.

3 of those 9 were for guest actors, so only 6 regulars. Handmaid’s Tale got 9 acting nomination for its regular cast in their fourth season alone. Handmaid’s won 3 acting trophies for their first season, even if we count Succession season 2 as their first Emmy season acting wise, they only won 2. And now for season 3 they will win 1 or 0 acting wise, mark my word.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

3 of those 9 were for guest actors, so only 6 regulars. Handmaid’s Tale got 9 acting nomination for its regular cast in their fourth season alone. Handmaid’s won 3 acting trophies for their first season, even if we count Succession season 2 as their first Emmy season acting wise, they only won 2. And now for season 3 they will win 1 or 0 acting wise, mark my word.

Moayed is a deeper cut than anyone they went for with Thrones in eight seasons, and I think there’s a good chance they’re more Thrones than Handmaid’s. (Snook feels like she’s going to end up like Headey).

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I actually think Lynskey/Ricci tracks. Lynskey has frequently been critically acclaimed but undervalued. Ricci has always been more populist, she’s the “in” for people you tell about the show.

I agree that the Winona comparisons are valid, I think there is a chance Lynskey is just a Critics thing and Ricci could just be a gen-pop thing. Am interested to see how it shakes out. I do think they’ve both campaigned really well, though.

I am actually predicting Lynskey to be a double nominee this year. She was quite good in Candy too.

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

Moayed is a deeper cut than anyone they went for with Thrones in eight seasons, and I think there’s a good chance they’re more Thrones than Handmaid’s. (Snook feels like she’s going to end up like Headey).

Totally agree on both!

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

I actually think Lynskey/Ricci tracks. Lynskey has frequently been critically acclaimed but undervalued. Ricci has always been more populist, she’s the “in” for people you tell about the show.

Paramount+ just launched in the UK this month and Ricci is main selling point of Yellowjackets in their ad copy (1:10-1:19)

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

Unlike most years, I’m actually intrigued to see what goes on in Writing and Directing here.

For Writing, the obvious slots of Succession, Squid Game, Severance, and Ozark are filled. Better Call Saul has only missed a writing nom once and Yellowjackets won WGA so they are the next in line. That last slot is cloudy, I think.

Ozark could very well just get 2 noms but Ellie is a very peculiar submission as I don’t recall anything roaring happening in that episode (remind me if it did).  Stranger Things could be lazily checked off just cause but I’m not feeling it too much. There’s also Loki and some episode of Yellowstone but that show is giving me mainly actors push. Believe it or not, since I know GD hates Euphoria and repels any time of non-obvious nom for it but “Stand Still Like a Hummingbird” was not only THE episode of a very clusterfuck season, it’s probably the most praised episode of the entire show and it was very buzzed about. I wouldn’t be shocked if that snuck its way in here. But for now, I’m still guessing.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Unlike most years, I’m actually intrigued to see what goes on in Writing and Directing here. For Writing, the obvious slots of Succession, Squid Game, Severance, and Ozark are filled. Better Call Saul has only missed a writing nom once and Yellowjackets won WGA so they are the next in line. That last slot is cloudy, I think. Ozark could very well just get 2 noms but Ellie is a very peculiar submission as I don’t recall anything roaring happening in that episode (remind me if it did). Stranger Things could be lazily checked off just cause but I’m not feeling it too much. There’s also Loki and some episode of Yellowstone but that show is giving me mainly actors push. Believe it or not, since I know GD hates Euphoria and repels any time of non-obvious nom for it but “Stand Still Like a Hummingbird” was not only THE episode of a very clusterfuck season, it’s probably the most praised episode of the entire show and it was very buzzed about. I wouldn’t be shocked if that snuck its way in here. But for now, I’m still guessing.

Yellowjackets did not win WGA. It did get two noms tho, for Drama Series and New Series.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Yellowjackets did not win WGA. It did get two noms tho, for Drama Series and New Series.

Getting nominated at all given the circumstances is a win.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Getting nominated at all given the circumstances is a win.

I hate to say it, but I don’t actually think Showtime really realised entirely what they had with Yellowjackets. They probably wouldn’t have scheduled it the way they had otherwise. I’m pretty sure they were banking on Hall for Dexter.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I hate to say it, but I don’t actually think Showtime really realised entirely what they had with Yellowjackets. They probably wouldn’t have scheduled it the way they had otherwise. I’m pretty sure they were banking on Hall for Dexter.

I actually have a less cynical view. I think they put it there knowing they had something and they new Dexter was going to bring in viewers if for no other reason than curiosity. Dexter could have been worse than the final season somehow and people were still going to watch until the end waiting for it to go back to what it was for them.

Personally, I watched Yellowjackets not because it aired after Dexter but because Showtime was doing such a good job promoting it to me when I watched Dexter. It’s a very high concept idea so the trailers worked.

Maybe they should have done more for it but I think them putting it after Dexter was just them cheaply showing faith. I do believe Yellowjackets was helped by their placement on the schedule.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 18)’ is closed to new replies.