Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 18)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 18)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 5 posts - 496 through 500 (of 500 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
probablyROB
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Y’all reminded me how both Jared Harris and Josh Charles should have WON for their respectively seasons but were done dirty.

Jared Harris is ridiculously overdue an Emmy at this point.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I just don’t think it really works as a comparison at all with all due respect even if it should when we’re talking about the merits of the performance itself. Both Harris and Charles were on shows that were much bigger players with the actors branch and both of them competed when voters were restricted in how many choices they were allowed to make on the nominating ballot. With the voting system being radically different from what it was in 2014, the branch having been historically apathetic towards Better Call Saul I just don’t see how they would nominate Fabian if they aren’t caught up with the season never mind Plan and Execution as an episode and they already having two established perennial favourites from the show in Banks and Esposito.

I do hope Better Call Saul does perform as well as your inklings about it doing though because I really can’t remember the last time I’ve been so shaken(?) by a season of television before. As unhealthy as it may be I’m probably going to be thinking about Plan and Execution non stop until Tuesday lol.

Better Call Saul has been nominated in Drama series every single year it has been eligible. The thing about those guys being on shows that were much bigger players is maybe true for Mad Men but not The Good Wife. And people were predicting Kartheiser to finally break through over Harris in a lot of predictions that year. We can just disagree on merit. Not really any arguments that will sway either one of us one way or another. They’re all good. I think you’re underrating Fabian and/or overrating the other two performances.

The Good Wife was nominated in series once. Better Call Saul is 5/5. I think that’s more than apathetic and while there have been snubs calling them apathetic is inaccurate. Even if just hyperbole.

We agree it’s a great show. I am more optimistic. Nominations can’t come soon enough.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I do think people are conflating Lower’s overall season performance with her performance in the final episode – and I say this because she was rarely mentioned here prior to the finale even by her most loyal fans – but I’m also not sure that matters (the gold standard example here being Julianne Nicholson last year).

Lower is probably helped by the overall visibility of the show. I guess the only hurdle that’s preventing me from predicting her is that supporting performances that contend in lead tend to have a harder time getting in (Joseph Fiennes, a previous nominee, just missed last year in a barren category for a show that got 10 acting Emmy nominations and Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington missed for the penultimate season of GoT) and she’s relatively unknown.

If she does get in I think not only would suggest Severance as the likely drama series winner but also that she has an immense amount of passion that other contenders in her category are lacking in which would honestly make me tempted to consider her as a potential winner.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Good Wife was nominated in series once. Better Call Saul is 5/5. I think that’s more than apathetic and while there have been snubs calling them apathetic is inaccurate. Even if just hyperbole.

The Good Wife was actually nominated in series twice.

Better Call Saul has more support overall from the industry when it comes to getting into series but I don’t think it’s a stretch by any means to claim that The Good Wife was a much bigger player with the actors branch (who are the only ones who vote on these acting categories) when it actually had 3 acting Emmy wins by the time of its 5th season whilst Better Call Saul has not only yet to produce an acting win for any of its cast members but only received 1 acting nomination the last time it competed.

I wasn’t by any means suggesting Better Call Saul can’t do well (I do think it’s entirely possible that Seehorn finally gets in this year even though I’m not predicting it personally) but more disagreeing about the Fabian/Harris and Charles comparisons which I guess we’ll just have to politely agree to disagree with one another on. I’ll reiterate though because I wasn’t entirely sure if it got lost in the conversation or not that whilst I’m sceptical about his chances that I’m by no means against him getting nominated! He’s probably my personal awards runner up at this point.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I said it was bold. I don’t think it is outlandish, though.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 5 posts - 496 through 500 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 18)’ is closed to new replies.