Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 18)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 18)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 500 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
probablyROB
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Squid Game is going to take Directing, thanks to the Succession vote split

sbs

Profile picture
    Stretchy
    Topics:

Succession is not getting more than 2 noms. Don’t be fooled by DGA noms, way too much competition here.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

I don’t see Succession getting more than 3 because I think that’s overkill and I don’t think it’s ever happened?

for writing, NYPD Blue got a category all to itself

and 80% of directing.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I can see the Director’s Branch being cautious especially after the backlash they received when they went 5/5 for Succession at DGA

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I could see three happening just because of history with the Academy jumping on the bandwagon of a show like Succession. Let me clarify, everything it has won so far is earned. But this isn’t the year. It would completely undermine an incredible season of TV compared to the past three years. And honestly, I’d go further when Game of Thrones was dominating everything. Which at times felt completely disproportionate.

There’s so much great work being done this Emmy cycle. Succession would NOT be undeserving for 3+ directing nominations.

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

The Sopranos got four out of five nominations for writing twice, in 2001 and 2004, and I don’t think it was a unlimited ballot, so four out of seven or eight is definitely possible.

Yeah, but that’s for writing.  Directing nominees are usually has more variety even amongst the freight trains of shows like GOT with directing bait.

I’m also not sure why Clayton has that “rule”. It’s an unlimited ballot which means there are no restrictions to only having just 2 episodes unless he knows something we don’t. If Succession doesn’t get 3, then perhaps Stranger Things for Dear Billy? Or if it winds up with 7 nominees.

Profile picture
    Thiago
    Topics:

GOT had three for the last season, but I don’t remember how many they submitted. The only season I really paid attention to this was 2020, when Sucession, Ozark and The Crown got their 2 submissions in directing and Ozark their 3 in writing, but the line up was weaker.

But we never had the easy frontrunner (GG, CC, DGA, WGA and SAG winner), fresh from ocuppying all the slots at DGA (impressive even with weaker competition), submitting six episodes in a unlimitted ballot.

Also we have to consider the amount of content that was thrown at voters this last few months, i agree that there are other series that deserve to get some episodes in, but I have my doubts if a lot of them found the time to watch all and vote for them, while we know a lot of them are going to tick some, if not all of Succession’s episodes.

That said, I don’t think they are going to get all six, but three,
    if not four, seem very realistic.

Profile picture
    ScreamingFirehawk22
    Topics:

Kinda ontopic…Emmy nomination voting begins Thursday and ends the 27th. When will the Academy drop all the shortlists?

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

June 16 (Thursday) when the voting begins.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

GOT had three for the last season, but I don’t remember how many they submitted.

GoT did get in all their writing/directing submissions that year I believe – one in writing (the finale) and three in directing (one each for Sapochnik, Nutter and Benioff/Weiss).

That said, it was arguably a weaker year.

Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

I haven’t been paying a lot of attention on this Emmy season, so forgive me for my silly question, but we would’ve known by now if HBO decided to switch Snook to lead? There’s no chance we get a surprise once the ballots are out?

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

The Emmys are certainly less likely to go all in on a show like that, at least these days. GoT got triple DGA noms in 2018 but the Emmys didn’t go beyond the obvious two while simultaneously nominating multiple episodes of Ozark, which didn’t even make series that year. Drama Directing was so empty last year that most people expected The Mandalorian to get 3/4 noms. It only got one. Instead, the Emmys went back to THT and gave Pose its first nomination there.

3 noms for Succession is a reasonable prediction. More than that? With this competition? I don’t think so.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I haven’t been paying a lot of attention on this Emmy season, so forgive me for my silly question, but we would’ve known by now if HBO decided to switch Snook to lead? There’s no chance we get a surprise once the ballots are out?

I guess it’s hypothetically not impossible but HBO moved Collette to lead for The Staircase and we were informed.

Profile picture
    antony
    Topics:

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Can’t say they’re not campaigning her this time.

Love Rhea, hope it happens at least once.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 18)’ is closed to new replies.