Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 4)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 501 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
Victor
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Not you saying this with a coach beard picture

Both trash compared to Rebecca and Keeley, those are the facts hun

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

As an aside, Starz will absolutely campaign Caitriona Balfe harder than they ever have given Belfast, right?

Girl her stand will come hard
    I’m expecting the mess

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Both trash compared to Rebecca and Keeley, those are the facts hun

Never said otherwise but Idk why you’re bringing it up here 💀

Profile picture
    antony
    Topics:

Let me do one for the boys

the erasure of the Gold Derby Award winner

will this be the last season of Outlander?

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Never said otherwise but Idk why you’re bringing it up here 💀

Ignore me
    I drink

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

the erasure of the Gold Derby Award winner

will this be the last season of Outlander?

Outlander is not gonna happen

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

When Balfe wins the Oscar and we have to consider the stat of an Oscar winner never missing the Emmy nom if they are eligible in the same year

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

The way we need to rally behind some of the contenders so the outlander stans don’t win everything at the GD awards..

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Drama Series (assuming Bridgerton, Handmaid’s, House of the Dragon, The Mandalorian, Slow Horses and Stranger Things miss eligibility)

1. Succession (HBO): The frontrunner unless this season flops in industry or critical acclaim or another show rises. The hype for its upcoming season is insane.

2. Ozark (Netflix): It’s going to be airing in the Spring again which as we saw this year helps series contenders when it comes to recency and in turn nominations. Even though it lost almost every single winter awards to The Crown season 4 when they were competing against each other, the show’s first major “non SAG” guild win was with the writers who were otherwise apathetic towards it before now so it could have a chance of being a “strong but distant” second/third in series.

3. The Gilded Age (HBO): This field lacks its annual glossy period drama (Downton Abbey, The Crown etc), has a respected pedigree, lots of industry titans in its cast and a Spring release on HBO. If well received it could potentially be a threat for the drama series win.

4. Killing Eve (BBC America): The Television Academy, just showed last year how much they love this show, it’s a massive hit and also has a final season narrative. Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer have been amassing a lot of buzz over the last few months due to other projects that can only help here.

5. Better Call Saul (AMC): Strong final season narrative and it’s never missed but at the same time outside of the writers branch the Television Academy has shown apathy towards this show.

6. Euphoria (HBO): Now here’s a bit of a gamble. Euphoria had a strong guild performance for the one off episodes this year and still managed to retain the nominations it could this year in spite of that. Considering how much cross branch support it ended up having and how it managed to get in at the BAFTAs and TCA I think it’s quite possible that it and not This is Us, The Morning Show or Pose were next in line in series last year. With the field being weaker than it was that year, the show coming off of Zendaya’s Emmy win and having a full season airing in the Spring I think it has a chance at slipping into the drama series lineup next year. That being said I don’t anticipate it will get nominations in writing and directing and I think only Hunter Schaefer really has a chance at joining Zendaya in the show’s acting haul.

7. The Boys (Amazon): A show on the rise and I do think with a spring release it can really jump the series order. That being said it remains to be seen if the show has enough appeal to grow with the actors branch.

8. The Morning Show (AppleTV+): This is an interesting one. On the one hand it will probably have a solid base going into the Emmys with the empty winter awards field and likely PGA, SAG and DGA nominations and I am quite confident its actors will be able to get back in (and maybe Mimi Leder in directing). But on the other it doesn’t feel like this season will be able attract “snob appeal” or really expand in support. It sort of reminds me of Ozark in its first two seasons in the sense that it doesn’t feel like a show that has peaked yet in support but it also has delivered a second season that has received a lower score than its “averagely received” first season. Ozark was quite comfortably in for season 2 so perhaps the same case can be applied here but it’s early days. Perhaps what’s worth mentioning is that The Morning Show‘s field looks more competitive than Ozark season 2’s with Succession and Ozark returning, The Boys – and arguably Euphoria – on the rise as a show, The Gilded Age arriving as a new contender and Killing EveBetter Call Saul and This is Us all having final season narratives.

————————————————————————————————

9. This is Us (NBC): On the one hand This is Us has a strong final season narrative and a legacy as “the last network drama” but on the other hand I just wonder if the television academy really cares? They didn’t take to the show in this weak a field and we’ve seen so many shows, and most specifically the thespians behind them, under-perform with such narratives. Christine Baranski, Viola Davis and Mandy Patinkin all had strong final season narratives and had gotten in the preceding year (and Baranski and Patinkin were overdue for their performances) yet they all missed. <i>The Good Wife</i> similarly had a narrative as one of the last network shows standing yet its only nomination for its final season was a farewell writing nod. Perhaps I’m looking into it too much but I can very well see This is Us just walk away with a lone nomination for Sterling K. Brown with how the field is shaping up. That being said the fact the entirety of the show’s final season is airing in 2022 can only help it.

10. The Old Man (FX on Hulu): FX always tend to have a big new drama series contender they focus on once their previous titan concludes its run (Damages –> The Americans –> Pose) but then again the television landscape has changed so much since 2019 so The Old Man just might end up being a non-factor in the end.

———————————————————————————————

11. Loki (Disney+): Came and went like Perry Mason last year but just like it, it was quite widely watched and decently liked. And likewise has a weak guild field. Perhaps the bar for it is tech noms + filler actor and supporting actor nominations for Tom Hiddleston and Owen Wilson if the field ends up being very weak (although I don’t think that will be the case, at least in the latter category, with Succession and The Morning Show potentially taking up 6 of the 8 supporting actor slots lmao).

12. Severance (AppleTV+): The pedigree behind this one is strong (we know what happened last time Stiller and Arquette teamed up with each other) but at the same time it’s hard to predict an Apple drama/comedy before it has actually aired.

13. Dexter : New Blood (Showtime): An academy favourite back in the day but revivals don’t tend to perform well with the television academy nowadays. Perhaps it could have a similar path to Will and Grace (filler guild noms and a SAG nomination for Michael C. Hall but people don’t really remember it by the time voting rolls over in June).

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design
    "CODA" – in all categories

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

When Balfe wins the Oscar and we have to consider the stat of an Oscar winner never missing the Emmy nom if they are eligible in the same year

That usually only happens if it’s for shows Emmys already know or care about, CBS can try all they want but Patricia Arquette isn’t getting nominated for CSI Cyber.

Oscars FYC:

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I have zero problems with Balfe. It’s her stans that are unbearable.

And no, I believe they’ve been renewed for a Season 7.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

May the new season begin  

Let me do one for the boys        

The supporting ladies erasure.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

The way I forgot Tom Hiddleston on my gifs post
    Loki really came and went.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Catriona Balfe could win all the Oscars next year and i still wouldn’t buy her nomination here.

Profile picture
    VedanthM
    Topics:

give her the material. it’s time for her to finally get what she deserves.

Miss Oh deserves it!

Killing Eve writers you better show up

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.