Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 4)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 501 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
Victor
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

For some reason, seeing all of the shows listed and I realized unless a bunch of under the radar contenders emerge (total possibility) 2022 doesn’t look strong in drama. I’m feeling like if Succession could do it in 2020 this competition looks far weaker (as of now)

Really from all the shows we know are competing thus far The Gilded Age is the only thing that I think can plausibly stop it. Just like in 2020 the field seems to have lots of returning contenders but none of them really feel like they’ll be factors for the series win.

If season 3 gets as strong a reception as 2 did it will be difficult to beat with the show also now going mainstream in popularity.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design
    "CODA" – in all categories

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

I think the almost complete flip to streaming wins has me really concerned for This Is Us if I’m honest. The number of nominations for network was still pretty high and I was a bit more confident before, but NBC had prime opportunity to get Kenan or Bowen over the line and couldn’t make it happen.

They really should have just focused on one or other tbh. The entire season it felt like they were flip flopping between the two, whereas Apple went hard on Goldstein and reaped the benefit.

Oscars FYC:

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    Dominique Deveraux
    Topics:

Won Oscar and didn’t get Emmy nom …Regina King – The Big Bang Theory

Queen King should be under Won Oscar and got Emmy since she’s won 4 of her 5 nominations. Where have you been? LMAO

Who am I? You'll find out soon. Ciao, for now!

Profile picture
    Dominique Deveraux
    Topics:

This is Us. Titles and Air Dates of the first six episodes of the final season: S06E01 – The Challenger – January 4, 2022 S06E02 – Yellow Brick Road – January 11, 2022 S06E03 – Four Fathers – January 18, 2022 S06E04 – Don’t Let Me Keep You – February 1, 2022 S06E05 – Heart And Soul – February 22, 2022 S06E06 – TBA – March 1, 2022

This is a smart move. This Is Us will be very fresh in the minds of Emmy voters when voting begins.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

I keep getting emails from HBO Max about it, so I’m finally starting Succession right now. Also doing it because I’ve come this far without getting spoiled at all, so I should probably finish it before I accidentally read a spoiler somewhere haha.

Profile picture
    Dominique Deveraux
    Topics:

Drama Actor – Jason Bateman, Ozark; Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us; Brian Cox, Succession; Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul; Jeremy Strong, Succession

Drama Actress – Jennifer Aniston, The Morning Show; Christine Baranski, The Good Fight; Jodie Comer, Killing Eve; Laura Linney, Ozark; Sandra Oh, Killing Eve; Mandy Moore, This Is Us 

Drama Supporting Actor – Nicholas Braun, Succession; Billy Crudup, The Morning Show; Kieran Culkin, Succession; Mark Duplass, The Morning Show; Giancarlo Esposito, Better Call Saul; Justin Hartley, This Is Us; Chris Sullivan, This Is Us; Desean Terry, The Morning Show

Drama Supporting Actress – Julia Garner, Ozark; Julianna Marguiles, The Morning Show; Rhea Seehorn, Better Call Saul; Fiona Shaw, Killing Eve; Sarah Snook, Succession; Susan Kelechi Watson, This Is Us

Profile picture
    Brayfers
    Topics:

way to early predictions

Series:

• Succession
    • The Morning Show
    • Ozark
    • Stranger Things
    • Killing Eve
    • The Boys
    • Bridgerton
    • This Is Us

Actor:

• Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us
    • Brian Cox, Succession
    • Jeremy Strong, Succession
    • Milo Ventimiglia, This Is Us
    • Jason Bateman, Ozark
    • Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul

Actress:

• Laura Linney, Ozark
    • Zendaya, Euphoria
    • Sandra Oh, Killing Eve
    • Jodie Comer, Killing Eve
    • Jennifer Aniston, The Morning Show
    • Reese Witherspoon, The Morning Show

Supporting Actor:

• Kieran Culkin, Succession
    • Matthew Macfadyen, Succession
    • Nicholaus Braun, Succession
    • Billy Crudup, The Morning Show
    • Mark Duplass, The Morning Show
    • David Harbour, Stranger Things
    • Chris Sullivan, This Is Us
    • Giancarlo Esposito, Better Call Saul

Supporting Actress:

• Fiona Shaw, Killing Eve
    • Sarah Snook, Succession
    • J. Smith-Cameron, Succession
    • Millie Bobby Brown, Stranger Things
    • Chrissy Metz, This Is Us
    • Julianna Marguilles, The Morning Show
    • Hunter Schafer, Euphoria
    • Julia Garner, Ozark

Drama Directing:

• Succession
    • Succession
    • Ozark
    • Ozark
    • The Morning Show
    • Stranger Things
    • Killing Eve

Drama Writing:

• Succession
    • Ozark
    • Ozark
    • Stranger Things
    • Killing Eve
    • The Boys
    • Better Call Saul

Letterboxd: Brayfers

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

I keep getting emails from HBO Max about it, so I’m finally starting Succession right now. Also doing it because I’ve come this far without getting spoiled at all, so I should probably finish it before I accidentally read a spoiler somewhere haha.

You’re in for a glorious ride hun.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Queen King should be under Won Oscar and got Emmy since she’s won 4 of her 5 nominations. Where have you been? LMAO

Was only including those who won their Oscar and got nominated at the next Emmys immediately following their win. In this case, September 2019, where she was only eligible for Big Bang Theory.

Oscars FYC:

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I just looked at the stats over the last five years of first season acting or program nominees in this category and I think we are somewhat understimating, particularly in acting categories:

2017 – 2021 consecutive

• 18 first season nominees in either acting or drama or a combination of both (average 3.5 per year)
    • 12 shows were derived from or using existing IP, eight of which were the first TV adaptation of a source (only one – The Mandalorian – was from film IP)
    • 11 of 18 were Netflix or HBO shows
    • 2 were launch dramas on their network (Apple/Disney)
    • 2 were  on an existing streamer (Hulu/Prime) and that services first nominee in this category
    • 2 were on an existing cable network (FX, BBC America)
    • 1 was a network drama (NBC)
    • Only 3 shows received nominations in their first season where at least one nominee was not a former Emmy nominee (Pose, Stranger Things, and Euphoria)
    • 30 first season acting nominees (average: 6 per year)
    • 16 were former primetime nominees and/or winners fpr other show, A further 8 had at least guest starred on an Emmy nominated show. Most of these had done so within the previous 5 years
    • No actor has ever been nominated for lead for their first TV credit

Make of that what you will. The looking out for recent nominees is probably even more valid because of the tendency for previously nom’d actors to go to Limited.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

BBC Review on Foundation

“But now, after four years of hard work there are 10 episodes of visually stunning, emotionally engaging, thought-provoking drama. They have already been made available to critics and are so richly layered that they bear an instant rewatch.”

James Dyer on Pilot podcast also non-spoilery raved though it is a running joke how much he is a genre/sci fi nerd.

So first impressions seem solid

Profile picture
    ricardo505
    Topics:

BBC Review on Foundation

“But now, after four years of hard work there are 10 episodes of visually stunning, emotionally engaging, thought-provoking drama. They have already been made available to critics and are so richly layered that they bear an instant rewatch.”

James Dyer on Pilot podcast also non-spoilery raved though it is a running joke how much he is a genre/sci fi nerd.

So first impressions seem solid

Emmy Winner Jared Harris, I need this.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Emmy Winner Jared Harris, I need this.

I mean his fellow Mad Men nominee Elisabeth Moss went on to win an Emmy for the first season of a show after a limited series nomination so: why not.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

You’re in for a glorious ride hun.

Just watched the first episode last night and I’m obsessed. I love the acting and particularly the score! Hoping to finish S1 by this weekend.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Just watched the first episode last night and I’m obsessed. I love the acting and particularly the score! Hoping to finish S1 by this weekend.

If you love it already just wait until season 2..

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.