Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 4)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 501 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
Victor
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Sandra Oh Will have to be undeniable to win because overdue narratives are not working for her.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Sandra Oh Will have to be undeniable to win because overdue narratives are not working for her.

But at the same time you could say this argument also applies to her competition. Linney already had a narrative of delivering a career best performance and Ozark season 3 peaked at the right time of voting and she still lost. The novelty behind Aniston’s switch from comedy to drama has worn off. Comer and Zendaya already have trophies and this category scarcely awards repeat winners.

I think if The Gilded Age delivers that Baranski’s probably looking good but I wouldn’t rule out Oh just yet. The field she’s competing in this time round is a lot more open than it has been when she’s competed for the past three seasons of Killing Eve and this time round she’ll also have something that none of her competition will have due to this being the final season of Killing Eve, an “only chance” narrative.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby/Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion/Rebecca Hall/Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch/Andrew Garfield/Winston Duke
    Actress: Olivia Colman/Kristen Stewart/Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant/Troy Kotsur/Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Claire Foy/Jayne Houdyshell/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva B

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

LoTR is. I’m an old Thrones fan from way back and I would say they are so quiet on promo on it I’d err towards missing, the promo seems understated and the more casual fans are still pretty confused re: what it’s about.

We know that House of the Dragon will still be filming in October. After that, we don’t know.

As far as I remember, the Game of Thrones promotion campaign used to start in December with the holiday promos, followed by photos and trailers in January.

Also, HBO will be holding an exclusive event for Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon in February: https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/game-of-thrones-fan-convention-las-vegas-february-1235054849/

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Also, HBO will be holding an exclusive event for Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon in February: https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/game-of-thrones-fan-convention-las-vegas-february-1235054849/

You’re not incorrect but they also used to have some level of actors doing promo year round and the competition for this sort of show was wildly different in, say, Christmas 2018. Also there are some indications of casting calls indicating January (they may just be pick ups, though). It may be fine but they’ve also never promised it. Plus the perception problem on this is terrible, every person in the real world I’ve spoken to thinks it is Daenerys: Resurrection

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

Plus the perception problem on this is terrible, every person in the real world I’ve spoken to thinks it is Daenerys: Resurrection

Yikes. Idk if people are just dumb or if this is indeed HBOs fault, that’s just embarrassing.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think we’re going to see more coattails in supporting actress this season. The only incumbent nominees that are returning are Garner, Shaw and Snook. Now of course there’ll be new contenders (Coon, Nixon and Margulies are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head) but even if we included those three there are two slots that look up for grabs with The CrownThe Handmaid’s Tale and Stranger Things all skipping eligibility.

I think we’ll see a second Succession supporting actress (J. Smith-Cameron or Hope Davis/Sanaa Lathan if they end up having big enough roles and are eligible in supporting) and maybe someone from This is Us slip in.

FYC:
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Claire Foy/Jayne Houdyshell/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

Ozark is def coming out before the deadline. I have no doubt. I still think Christine Baranski is gonna come on strong if The Gilded Age comes out in time and is as good as we expect it to be.

Pretty sure Bateman said first half of 2022 on a recent episode of Smartless, it’s for sure making it.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I think we’re going to see more coattails in supporting actress this season. The only incumbent nominees that are returning are Garner, Shaw and Snook. Now of course there’ll be new contenders (Coon, Nixon and Margulies are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head) but even if we included those three there are two slots that look up for grabs with The Crown, The Handmaid’s Tale and Stranger Things all skipping eligibility.

I think we’ll see a second Succession supporting actress (J. Smith-Cameron or Hope Davis/Sanaa Lathan if they end up having big enough roles and are eligible in supporting) and maybe someone from This is Us slip in.

The erasure

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Rhea Seehorn deserves but until the television academy (outside of the writers branch) actually shows it cares about Better Call Saul she’s not happening. I’m not even convinced Odenkirk is getting nominated again although I am keeping my hopes up with how the field keeps weakening.

FYC:

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

I think it’s just really obvious that actors most likely are not watching the show anymore because Odenkirk and Banks should’ve been easy nominations last year and with the raves Seehorn got for season 5 and the fact that she’s been in the show from day one means it shouldn’t be so hard for her to get in.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Whilst we didn’t get any news for The Gilded Age at TCA as it is airing in February, HBO have updated their programme page with character bios (there were around  29(!) of these on there including guest and recurring cast members so I’m only including those who have been credited as main cast members):

– Christine Baranski as Agnes van Rhijn, a proud and stubborn aristocrat who will never accept that the world has changed, and that ancient values are being replaced by new ones. She found herself penniless as her parents’ fortune was foundering, but she managed to catch a husband just in time. Now a widow, Agnes still has her son Oscar, whom she worships, but her worship is not returned.

– Cynthia Nixon as Ada Brook, who unlike her sister, never found a husband, and was forced to rely on Agnes’ charity. She is not naturally confrontational, but she is capable of standing up for what she believes.

– Carrie Coon as Bertha Russell. Bertha comes from the ordinary middle-class. She backed her instincts when she set out to catch her husband George, the son of a merchant family who has proved to be a financial genius. She is determined to use her money and position to break into a society that resists change at every turn.

– Morgan Spector as George Russell, a classic robber baron of his own time. Russell is pleasant enough in company, fond of his wife and his children, but utterly ruthless in business. He has already acquired millions, and many more will follow. In every challenge, George must win.

– Denée Benton as Peggy Scott. Peggy is a young, ambitious writer. She was raised in New York and educated at the prestigious Institute for Colored Youth in Philadelphia. We meet Peggy at a crossroads. She’s haunted by her past and lingering questions that’s she unable to find answers to, so she chooses to leave Pennsylvania and return home. She meets Marian at the train station, and both women who are seeking a fresh start form an unlikely friendship as they begin this next chapter of their lives in New York, but Peggy’s secret will eventually be revealed causing a tectonic shift in her world.

– Louisa Jacobson as Marian Brook, the show’s principal heroine. Lovely and strong, she was born to an old Pennsylvania family, but her father has left her without a penny. In one way, Marian knows that her probable fate will be to marry as well as she can and survive, but she wants more than this. She is curtailed by the rules of her time, but there is a modern streak in her, too. She wants to do something with her life, she wants to be fulfilled. Marian moves from Doylestown to New York City after her father dies to live with her estranged aunts, Agnes van Rhijn and Ada Brook.

– Taissa Farmiga as Gladys Russell, a classic, innocent and lovely child of the rich who doesn’t want a governess or for her mother to treat her as a child anymore, she wants to be out in society meeting suitable young men. She doesn’t really know how her father made his money, and she doesn’t much care, but she is used to it and wouldn’t know what to do without it. She has an independent streak, but her petulance is no match for her mother, Bertha, who uses her as a tool for her own ambition and forces Marian toward socially advantageous situations.

– Blake Ritson as Oscar van Rhijn, Agnes van Rhijn’s charismatic son. He’s decided it’s time to settle down and has become obsessed with money while on the lookout for a serious heiress who will allow him to live, as he would put it, properly. Smart, attractive, poised, charming and mischievous, he enjoys witty banter. He is one of the few who will stand up to his mother and will not listen to her advice, which causes her a good deal of frustration.

– Simon Jones as Bannister. As an English immigrant and son of a poor cobbler from the English midlands, the van Rhijn’s butler likes to give the impression that he is immensely grand. He grew up the hard way, learning how to speak, how to dress, how to behave, and changing jobs each time he felt he was ready for the next step. He joined the van Rhijn household a year before the death of Mr. van Rhijn and so, for the old lady, he is a link with her own past.

– Harry Richardson as Larry Russell, a recent Harvard University graduate who is appealing and good natured with an easy charm. Larry is eager to make his way in the world. Above all, Larry is his mother’s child, her Achilles’ heel, the one person she loves without limit and he loves her as well. He is protective of his little sister, Gladys, and like her he is a classic child of the rich. He thinks he doesn’t care about money, because he has always had plenty of it.

Thomas Cocquerel as Tom Raikes, a sensible young lawyer from Doylestown, PA. He’s been a solitary and career-driven practical man but is smitten when he meets Marian, his late client’s orphaned daughter. He relocates to New York City in pursuit of a relationship with her. Tom understands that Marian’s aunts are very conservative and he’s careful not to overstep any boundaries along the way. He’ll put up a fight to get what he wants, but he’s an appealing, charming gentleman above all else.

– Jack Gilpin as Church, the Russell family’s butler. He is American, from a dismal background, but evades his past by excelling at his job. He has no time for nonsense in the workplace due to his attention and care for his job. Above all, he’s Bertha’s ally and he intends to stay reasonably true to her every step of the way, unlike her own maid.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

The Gilded Age is gonna be huge, and I cannot wait for it. So a February premiere date is confirmed?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Gilded Age is gonna be huge, and I cannot wait for it. So a February premiere date is confirmed?

Yep.

FYC:

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Rhea Seehorn deserves but until the television academy (outside of the writers branch) actually shows it cares about Better Call Saul she’s not happening. I’m not even convinced Odenkirk is getting nominated again although I am keeping my hopes up with how the field keeps weakening.

I lost hope when Rhea didn’t get in for 2019, she was great that season.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think we’ll see a second Succession supporting actress (J. Smith-Cameron or Hope Davis/Sanaa Lathan if they end up having big enough roles and are eligible in supporting) and maybe someone from This is Us slip in.

I get the impression J. is quite well liked plus she’s been getting interesting storylines for her age and I think they’re quite responsive to that. I really liked her season 2 work.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.