Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 6)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 540 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
Victor
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I think only Jennifer Aniston and Billy Crudup are returning, with Margulies possibly joining (not so sure about her anymore, but still, familiar name in a show actors did show love).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

As for Supporting Actress, I think Snook is winning, but I could see Garner or Smith-Cameron overtaking her.

I actually am getting a feeling this time round HBO will submit Snook in lead. Last year they had both Big Little Lies women and Zendaya in lead and moved Snook down because they probably weren’t confident she’d make the cut in lead after the SAG shut out. But then both Big Little Lies women missed (and the show under-performed) whilst Succession exploded with actors and Snook made the cut.

Now they know how strong the show is in actors branch support I can see HBO move Snook to lead as a strategic measure to help J. Smith-Cameron’s chances of a nomination (both of them also seem like they’ll be more prominent this season than they have been previously). Sure HBO also have Christine Baranski (or whomever is placed as the lead of The Gilded Age) and Zendaya in the drama actress category but they have Smith-Cameron, Olivia Cooke, Carrie Coon, Cynthia Nixon and maybe Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton and Alexandra Daddario in drama supporting actress

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, Shiva Baby, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall, Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Andrew Garfield, Winston Duke/James McAvoy
    Actress: Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant, Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Can’t help the feeling that we are underestimating This is Us here.
    I get the HTGAWM, The Good Wife, Homeland etc parallels but idk, this one feels different.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

I actually am getting a feeling this time round HBO will submit Snook in lead. Last year they had both Big Little Lies women and Zendaya in lead and moved Snook down because they probably weren’t confident she’d make the cut in lead after the SAG shut out. But then both Big Little Lies women missed (and the show under-performed) whilst Succession exploded with actors and Snook made the cut. Now they know how strong the show is in actors branch support I can see HBO move Snook to lead as a strategic measure to help J. Smith-Cameron’s chances of a nomination (both of them also seem like they’ll be more prominent this season than they have been previously). Sure HBO also have Christine Baranski (or whomever is placed as the lead of The Gilded Age) and Zendaya in the drama actress category but they have Smith-Cameron, Olivia Cooke, Carrie Coon, Cynthia Nixon and maybe Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton and Alexandra Daddario in drama supporting actress

Great point! Yeah, I definitely think Snook is going to be submitted in lead, too (and should, especially since she’s win-competitive at SAG for Drama Actress and her show is the most likely winner for Drama Ensemble and arguably Drama Actor, and is the likely unimpeachable frontrunner for Drama Series at the Emmys).

I guess a part of me wants her in Supporting because I really think she can take it more easily than she would in Lead and can even overcome a hypothetical vote-split with Smith-Cameron. My intuition keeps saying that it’s finally Sandra Oh’s time (especially since Oh will have the advantage of vernal airtime), so it’s personally hard for me to see Snook beating her, but Succession seems almost destined to be stronger than Killing Eve will ultimately be this year, so I think a Snook win is very much possible.

FYC -
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, The Lost Daughter, Mass
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Fran Kranz
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Corey Hawkins, Jason Isaacs
    Supporting Actress: Ruth Negga, Kirsten Dunst, Rebecca Ferguson, Martha Plimpton, Ann Dowd
    O. Screenplay: Spencer, Mass
    A. Screenplay: The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter
    Score: Jonny Greenwood (Dog/Spencer)

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I’m not sure where all this The Sandman confidence is coming from actually. I’m actually thinking it will go the Sweet Tooth, Shadow and bones, etc. route. It didn’t help that the teaser looked almost the same as those above, and it don’t have social relevance like Lovecraft Country,

No, it’s not as socially relevant as Lovecraft Country or Watchmen, but it’s more so than The Boys/ Wandavision /The Mandalorian/Stranger Things/AHS. The cast is also far stronger than the above.

It’s also more or less Netflix’s sole English-language first season program and they’re confident in it enough to be promoting it six months out, and likely DC’s biggest project since Watchmen. The response on social is also really solid so I’d say it’s very likely to be n audience hit.

I won’t speak for Heptapod but I don’t think it’s a program threat but I don’t think it’s ludicrous to have Thewlis and Christie in the lower portions of a top 10 after the usual suspects. Thewlis has another high profile project in this round and has been nominated before, and Christie is a recent nominee in this category who got in on a self-submission over an FYCd Snook and held on til winter. Overconfidence would be having them at 1-3.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Great point! Yeah, I definitely think Snook is going to be submitted in lead, too (and should, especially since she’s win-competitive at SAG for Drama Actress and her show is the most likely winner for Drama Ensemble and arguably Drama Actor, and is the likely unimpeachable frontrunner for Drama Series at the Emmys).

I agree. Snook would be a very sensible move to lead for HBO.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Can’t help the feeling that we are underestimating This is Us here.
    I get the HTGAWM, The Good Wife, Homeland etc parallels but idk, this one feels different.

Waiting to premiere the full season until 2022 was such a smart move. It’ll build hype perfectly all through spring, and they obviously have some super great stuff lined up for this season (in opposition to the last couple seasons which have definitely done some wheel-spinning). Saving their best cards for last. I’m not currently predicting anything besides Brown and guests right now, but I’m very close to slotting in. NBC is making all the right moves to possibly come back in a big way.

EMMYS FYC
    Dickinson – Hailee Steinfeld, Anna Baryshnikov
    Kevin Can F**k Himself – Mary Hollis Inboden
    Only Murders – James Caverley
    The Other Two – Drew Tarver, Heléne Yorke
    Physical – Rose Byrne
    Schmigadoon! – Ariana DeBose
    The White Lotus – Alexandra Daddario

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Waiting to premiere the full season until 2022 was such a smart move. It’ll build hype perfectly all through spring, and they obviously have some super great stuff lined up for this season

Unless something gets announced in the next six weeks, I’m pretty sure that they’re the only January release in drama unless I’m forgetting something (I’m not sure what else would be a possible candidate currently) and one of the few programs that will run concurrent with winter awards.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Just curious, if Mare had competed in Drama this past Emmys,how would it have fared against The Crown in above the line categories?
    I wanted to get all of yours opinions on this to understand the potential of The White Lotus in case it is forced to move to Drama for the Emmys.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Just curious, if Mare had competed in Drama this past Emmys,how would it have fared against The Crown in above the line categories? I wanted to get all of yours opinions on this to understand the potential of The White Lotus in case it is forced to move to Drama for the Emmys.

On paper:

• Kate beats Olivia who has to deal with a potential vote split
    • Anderson is full-sweep strong so I think she beats out Nicholson in supporting.
    • Menzies is beatable based on winter performance so Peters perhaps wins that
    • Mare lost writing  and directing so they could lose there to The Crown
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Just curious, if Mare had competed in Drama this past Emmys,how would it have fared against The Crown in above the line categories? I wanted to get all of yours opinions on this to understand the potential of The White Lotus in case it is forced to move to Drama for the Emmys.

Winslet and Peters would probably have won but Mare probably would have lost drama series, s. actress, writing and directing to The Crown.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, Shiva Baby, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall, Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Andrew Garfield, Winston Duke/James McAvoy
    Actress: Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant, Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Winslet and Peters would probably have won but Mare probably would have lost drama series, s. actress, writing and directing to The Crown.

Exactly this is my feelings too.

Profile picture
    hillslight
    Topics:

Ozark Season 4 Part 1 premieres January 21, 2022.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Thanks for nothing, Netflix, because that teaser was LOL. But hell yes, Ozark!!! Laura is coming.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

When they release part 2 during voting and Laura clears at the last second 

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 540 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.