Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 9)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 519 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
( +21 hidden )
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
wolfali
JV
  • Profile picture
    Dame Mandy Moore
    Topics:

She.

Profile picture
    fawkes
    Topics:

I don’t know if many of you have seen Lee Jung-Jae’s work outside of Squid Game, but he’s had quite the career in Korea. Before Squid Game, he was already one of the country’s most beloved actors and has been since the 90s.

His performance in Squid Game is completely different than anything he has ever done. So for Koreans, it was utterly shocking to see him as the goofy, untidy Seong Gi-hun because he has always played charismatic, cool, and intimidating characters. I think this is important to understand when judging his performance in the show.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think this is important to understand when judging his performance in the show.

I think even if people don’t realise this, it’s quite obvious from his interviews. He is much more suave there.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Whilst I did not predict it at WGA, I don’t really think Loki getting in there is all that surprising. The show was really popular and did decently on end of year critics lists (as did almost every other show nominated in both drama and comedy categories sans The Morning Show) and the field was incredibly weak. The only other shows that could have gotten in over it were Pose (which couldn’t break in at SAG in spite of the weak field) and shows too small for the guilds to touch like Evil, For All Mankind and The Good Fight.

Perhaps this will age poorly when DGA and PGA reveal their nominations but with the field being so competitive and the show failing to breakthrough in just as weak a lineup at SAG, I feel like it will be a big afterthought once we get to June.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Perhaps this will age poorly when DGA and PGA reveal their nominations but with the field being so competitive and the show failing to breakthrough in just as weak a lineup at SAG, I feel like it will be a big afterthought once we get to June.

We’re in total disagreement here, lol.

I just think the pool of people who favour genre shows is too large, and they are almost universally able to break across the critical mass line, plus they are benefitted by their BTL.

All those people who voted for Lovecraft Country and The Boys and The Mandalorian last time are not immediately going to default over to Ozark or Succession or Killing Eve.

When GoT missed, it went to Westworld and Stranger Things. When GoT ended, it went to The Mandalorian and defaulted back to Stranger Things. When Stranger Things wasn’t available it defaulted to The Boys.

Prior to Thrones it was Lost, True Blood, and Heroes (Yellowjackets could easily be the Lost stand in, but even then probably won’t account for the critical mass) You have to go back to 2006 to find a year where they didn’t do this.

I feel like members of this sub (perhaps by virtue of interests, algorithms, or where they live) have completely different social media timelines than I do or aren’t watching the fact that the box office would not be surviving without that stuff (not to mention Dune and Spiderman being in Oscar conversations)

For what it’s worth I often don’t think that stuff is the best stuff out there, and I understand people’s frustration, but people love it.

It’s cognitive dissonance to me to not think something gets in. At the moment Loki is the frontrunner. It’s not a strong frontrunner, but it’s a frontrunner.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Speaking of which, Disney+ have their TCA panel tomorrow, which one would presume will give an indication of any priorities to come (my money is on Moon Knight in drama and She-Hulk in comedy)

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Oscars FYC:

"Lamb" – International Feature and all categories

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

How have SAG and WGA influenced peoples thoughts on drama noms?

Also, re Yellowstone, am I correct in remembering Kelly Reilly was submitted in supporting in previous seasons (she’s pretty borderline like Snook)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

How have SAG and WGA influenced peoples thoughts on drama noms? Also, re Yellowstone, am I correct in remembering Kelly Reilly was submitted in supporting in previous seasons (she’s pretty borderline like Snook)

I’m waiting to see what happens at PGA and DGA. If Yellowjackets or Yellowstone get in at the former I will slot them into drama series and will slot Lynskey/Costner in to my top 6.

I have slotted in The Morning Show into the 8th slot in my series predictions though because after its surprise at WGA I fully expect it to get in at DGA and PGA.

It’s interesting how the weak field has actually made the field stronger because its given more space for some shows to grow as contenders.

FYC:

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/justified-reboot-timothy-olyphant-1235075243/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Not another one…

I hope Matthew Weiner and Damon Lindelof aren’t taking notes

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Considering neither She-Hulk nor Moon Knight were featured at Disney’s TCA day today, I’m guessing both are missing eligibility.

FYC:

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

Considering neither She-Hulk nor Moon Knight were featured at Disney’s TCA day today, I’m guessing both are missing eligibility.

Sounds like Moon Knight will. It’s releasing March 30 and likely airing a trailer at the Super Bowl. This is the first leak and it was backed up immediately by numerous solid sources.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Considering neither She-Hulk nor Moon Knight were featured at Disney’s TCA day today, I’m guessing both are missing eligibility.

I get very bored tracking Marvel leaks but the March 30 date is the biggest leak I’ve seen come out so is probably accurate. I find it hard to believe that they’ll go Feb-May without a show and this one has always been considered to be furthest along, plus it’s the first in order on their highlight reel for 2022. To be honest it’s *probably* a drama in the same way Falcon and The Winter Soldier was but I can’t imagine they’re going to want to submit Isaac up against himself for Scenes.

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

Michael C. Hall is the Performer of the Week on TVLine for the series finale of Dexter: New Blood: https://tvline.com/2022/01/15/michael-c-hall-dexter-new-blood-finale-performance/

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.