Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 9)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 519 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
wolfali
JV
  • Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

https://mobile.twitter.com/awards_watch/status/1477853846017740801

😬

Garner, Schafer or one of the Gilded ladies?

Oscars FYC:

"Lamb" – International Feature and all categories

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Still having trouble seeing Snook lose

It’s the contrary for me. Still having trouble seeing her win when she didn’t last time and she had a open category to do so. Succession s2 was already strong at Emmys.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Oh hun.. we all know who he’s referring to 

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s the contrary for me. Still having trouble seeing her win when she didn’t last time and she had a open category to do so. Succession s2 was already strong at Emmys.

A lot of people were sceptical right up until the last minute that Snook was even getting nominated in her category in the awards predictions world. Regardless of whether she wins or doesn’t it’s safe to say she’s starting off with a lot more momentum than she did with season 2.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Suddenly everyone on Twitter is talking about Yellowjackets. I would say it’s safe for multiple noms.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Still having trouble seeing Snook lose, if in Supporting, due to how strong Succession seems this time around (plus with *that* performance she gave), but yeah Erik seems to be talking about Julia Garner or one of the The Gilded Age ladies; I’d wager he’s referring to Carrie Coon.

You’d think this would be the case but oddly with the exception of The Sopranos all of HBOs drama actress and supporting actress wins have been by shows that didn’t win.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Suddenly everyone on Twitter is talking about Yellowjackets. I would say it’s safe for multiple noms.

I THINK it could be one of those shows that gets a WGA nom and then gets in Drama Series (and nothing else ATL) based on Writers support. However, Bodyguard, Succession and The Boys weren’t in Showtime.

Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

As it should! The show keeps getting better and better.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

The problem I have with Yellowjackets for Emmys is it’s still objectively a small show (<10K IMDB votes) and much less likely to get pickup later because it’s on Showtime, not Netflix or HBO or Hulu.

Drama as a category is much more susceptible to shows having a certain level of broad appeal/popularity than some of the other categories, hence why we’ve seen a lot of things we’d not necessarily think they’d go for like The Boys and The Mandalorian.

It’s probably comparable to Pose in S1 but that had a much better known producer and a specific narrative for Porter and they ran in 2019, a year when a lot of big contenders sat it out.

Their best chance would either

a) every other new contender herein being very average, or well received but not popular.

b) Lynskey pulling a Waddingham and winning CCA

c) SAG’s preference for Showtime helping it by getting them in somewhere. That said I’m not aware of them doing substantial SAG promo as they came out very late.

I think they might be more realistic for an acting nomination at the Emmys ATL rather than a series one

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s worth mentioning that something like Killing Eve wasn’t a show that was an instantaneous hit either when it first aired and it was on a channel that had less of an awards history than Showtime, was competing in one of the most competitive drama series fields in Emmy history and aired from April to May. It was a show that first started off as an underdog that critics were drumming up and down for, then something that attracted the eyes of someone like Stephen King and then became the internet sensation it was.

Now I don’t think Yellowjackets is safe for anything and it’s not a show that I’m currently predicting to receive any Emmy nominations but the critical word of mouth has clearly translate into industry word of mouth, it’s something the internet has picked up on and one of its lead actresses has a tonne of individual buzz right now (thanks in part to Don’t Look Up). It’s also out-performing every “newer” Showtime show that has been on in the past two to three years in audience popularity including a show that received SAG and WGA nominations.

It will be a hurdle with the unlimited ballot, a lot of drama series airing over the next few months but the field is arguably wide open and it’s a show whose base keeps on growing week by week. It getting into actress and/or series aren’t scenarios that would be too surprising to me.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

It getting into actress and/or series aren’t scenarios that would be too surprising to me.

I think actress/supporting  is more open than people think. The Gilded Age certainly could be a big contender but it’s pretty rare for dramas to get in more than 0-2 actresses total ATL in their first season and four would be unheard of I think (even for shows that have become behemoths). I would imagine at it’s best The Gilded age is very good, but I also don’t necessarily think there’s any sign it’s going to be groundbreaking or a viral sensation.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I will wait for reviews for The Gilded Age. The Monday release and the fact it went to Paramount+ in Australia (who are less competitive here than the US) who aren’t even advertising it has me kind of meh as much as I love the actresses in it.

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Having watched all of Belgravia and The English Game, I could not be less confident in The Gilded Age

Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Having watched all of Belgravia and The English Game, I could not be less confident in The Gilded Age

I didn’t get through The English Game, but yeah. I feel like something’s off here. There’s been limited marketing so close to release. My instinct is that it’s either the quality/tone of the show or the casting is a bait and switch of some sort. I don’t necessarily think it’s bad, maybe just average.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.