Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 9)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 519 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
wolfali
JV
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I get the impression that the integration of her storyline is going to be a bit of talking point (for better or worse) – I’ve seen people suggest it’s well done as well as poorly integrated.

Yeah it will be an interesting one to see. There seems to be a lot of praise for the inclusion of her storyline in this type of genre but at the same time it does seem like something some reviewers feel has been clumsily woven in and tbh it does feel quite awkward that an old upper class white man is telling this story.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think the other thing to keep in mind with both The Gilded Age and Bridgerton is where they’ll be prioritised from HBO and Netflix’s perspective and how that plays campaign wise. They are neither of their networks’ top priorities, ATL. They’re both probably a minimum of third.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think the other thing to keep in mind with both The Gilded Age and Bridgerton is where they’ll be prioritised from HBO and Netflix’s perspective and how that plays campaign wise. They are neither of their networks’ top priorities, ATL. They’re both probably a minimum of third.

I agree.

I do feel like though considering how increasingly high HBO and Netflix are on trying to top the nominations count year on year that although neither of those shows will be “the top priority” for either team, I can see aspects of those shows being key focuses of their campaign teams overall. For example it wouldn’t surprise me if Simone Ashley becomes one of Netflix’s biggest campaign priorities for Bridgerton even though the show isn’t going to be as big a priority for them as Ozark or Squid Game (a bit like how they campaigned the hell out of Rege Jean-Page last year but didn’t really campaign for Bridgerton as much as a show because they had an awards giant in The Crown already that year).

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I can see aspects of those shows being key focuses of their campaign teams overall.

Yep. I think this year is probably going to be fairly strategic.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Early Ozark impressions (on episode 3, so this might change)

Garner is actually co-lead (narratively this season and screen time wise). They might want to debate moving her.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Garner is actually co-lead (narratively this season and screen time wise). They might want to debate moving her.

That would make the drama lead actress category insanely competitive but I wouldn’t mind that!

FYC:

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

That would make the drama lead actress category insanely competitive but I wouldn’t mind that!

Interested in others thoughts when they watch but yeah she’s just gonna completely blitz the competition with screen time if it goes on like this I think.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m really intrigued as to whether Netflix will release that final part of Ozark before nominations voting (even if its after the eligibility deadline). Because the ending of the show is going to be a really big zeitgeisty event no matter what and if it’s well received I can see it helping Linney and Bateman.

FYC:

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I’m really intrigued as to whether Netflix will release that final part of Ozark before nominations voting (even if its after the eligibility deadline). Because the ending of the show is going to be a really big zeitgeisty event no matter what and if it’s well received I can see it helping Linney and Bateman.

I think now Netflix have had their quarterly investment announcement (that was in the last 24 hours) for last quarter so they might start being a bit more transparent on the plans for the next quarter. But I don’t know, this season seems pretty strong to me so far.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

But I don’t know, this season seems pretty strong to me so far.

It probably is! But at the end of the day it does feel weird for me to predict voters going all out for the first half of a final season in a competitive year when they already know there’s more coming? I feel the same way about Better Call Saul (although in an obviously different context).

FYC:

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

It probably is! But at the end of the day it does feel weird for me to predict voters going all out for the first half of a final season in a competitive year when they already know there’s more coming? I feel the same way about Better Call Saul (although in an obviously different context)

It’s more the fact that I think it’s close to category fraud to put her in supporting – I think she might have more screen time than Linney, and definitely more than Bateman. This is just my perspective, of course, but if a 6 hour season has a  character on screen with no other leading characters for maybe….2 or so hours, she’s a lead. Lisa Emery is supporting, not Garner.

It’s basically a Linney-Garner season. She has a whole storyline with multiple subplots. Zendaya and Lynskey have less to do in lead than she does in supporting.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Perhaps this is an unpopular opinion but I’ve always felt like Garner has been a co-lead on Ozark in some form. Not in season 3 of course but Ruth’s sub-plot in season 2 was much larger than any other’s and drove the season more than either Wendy or Marty’s.

FYC:

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Perhaps this is an unpopular opinion but I’ve always felt like Garner has been a co-lead on Ozark in some form. Not in season 3 of course but Ruth’s sub-plot in season 2 was much larger than any other’s and drove the season more than either Wendy or Marty’s.

I agree, but I don’t think it’s ever been as blatant as this season. It’s almost unfair for anyone in her category to go up against her. If Netflix don’t do it maybe there’s a case for HBO to move Snook to get her out of Garner’s way.

Profile picture
    Carlo
    Topics:

Snook should make that move (c’mon, she’s the female lead), but I think she needs/wants at least another nomination (or a win) to solidify her status of Emmy favourite (like when the same move was done by Julianna Margulies for ER or Allison Janney for both The West Wing and Mom).

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I don’t think Snook even decides lol it’s probably HBO awards team. They already have Zendaya in lead actress that could potentially win again so I don’t see them moving Snook out of supporting. There’s also The Gilded Age ladies with one or 2 of them that could go leading and Julia thas has a clear lead.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.