Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 10)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 533 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
probablyROB
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Feel like Severance and The White Lotus had pretty memorable turns for new series. Even Maid felt bigger to me than Bridgerton ever did. I had to look the show up after it was announced for its nomination because I’d never heard of it before.

I think that just speaks to a personal bubble.

It was number one on Netflix for weeks and weeks.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Iconic.

ssssshhhhhhh

I mean Bailey’s great, but Hollywood cast Page in 45232 things before he’d left the parking lot.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

That’s probably fair. I generally ignore the Netflix top 10 as it rarely includes things that are my steez.

But I genuinely saw no mention of it on reddit or Twitter either. And I am on those fuckers all the time.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

(Accidentally put this in the Comedy thread so I’m just going to copy paste it here.)

I think Maid will be this year’s Godless. Both missed PGA and performed below expectations at Critics Choice. (Both also got only one SAG nod, but also come on, how many of us were REALLY expecting MacDowell to get in?) However, by virtue of being Netflix’s only super viable contender to push other than Garner, I think it’ll almost definitely get more than Series/Qualley/Writing and blow up on nomination morning like Godless did. The power of a Netflix campaign can never ever be denied, and it’s looking like it’ll be the service’s only real push in most categories, so you can bet they’ll pull out all the stops for it. It’s not true crime, which I’m considering as a real booster for any show in this genre onslaught. I think it’s also been forgotten how massive of a hit it was. It’s not as meme-able as The Queen’s Gambit for obvious reasons, but it supposedly beat that viewership. That means a LOT. And it was getting those viewers at a time when there wasn’t a new limited series dropping every single week, so it’ll stick out in voters’ minds from that time. And like others have said, it’s one of the few contenders here that was beloved by critics and audiences alike.

After TFL and AoaS floppage, I think Qualley is very solidly ahead to win. At least one of MacDowell and/or Rose is happening. Even Thomas Brodie-Sangster’s nomination tells me Robinson will likely be happening. It won’t overperform like crazy, but I don’t think it should be underestimated.

FYC: Pamela Adlon (Better Things) Rose Byrne (Physical) Danielle Deadwyler (Station Eleven) Elle Fanning (The Great) Luke Kirby (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel) Hamish Linklater (Midnight Mass) Margaret Qualley (Maid) Renee Rapp (The Sex Lives of College Girls) Sophie Thatcher (Yellowjackets) Heléne Yorke (The Other Two)

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I have Qualley in my #1 spot right now but I don’t feel very good about it. Have a feeling Chastain, Foy, or even Zellweger will end up winning assuming they get nominated.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I have Qualley in my #1 spot right now but I don’t feel very good about it. Have a feeling Chastain, Foy, or even Zellweger will end up winning assuming they get nominated.

Zellweger is not winning for a critically and audience panned show.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

But I genuinely saw no mention of it on reddit or Twitter either. And I am on those fuckers all the time.

I mean 90% of it’s viewers are probably women so it’s not really Reddit’s vibe.

Profile picture
    Turd Ferguson
    Topics:

It may speak more to how often people actually talk with each other about Netflix shows they binging in a weekend.

Big fan of Better Call Saul, Sex Education, Barry, BoJack Horseman, and, especially, Survivor

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I mean 90% of it’s viewers are probably women so it’s not really Reddit’s vibe.

The gender split on reddit isn’t that severe though. It’s more like 64/36. I wouldn’t be so dismissive of reddit as being purely male(anecdotally I feel like I interact with women just as much as men). It’s not like it’s 4chan like some people want to believe. Twitter is also closer to a 57/43 split.

I can’t find any data but I would be shocked if the TV academy’s demographics were all that dissimilar to that too. Seems the DGA and WGA heavily favor men as well. So, while reddit is more male heavy it’s not negligible for shows geared towards women entirely in terms of picking up chatter. There are plenty of shows that seem geared towards women that get more traction.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

It may speak more to how often people actually talk with each other about Netflix shows they binging in a weekend.

I have a few friends that I always talk to about TV and one of them in particular didn’t ever mention Bridgerton until this season. Specifically because her friends that made her watch it and read the book wanted to bitch about how bad this season was.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Do only women watch Bridgerton?

I have no idea but Kat_Ebbs seems to think that’s who primarily watches it.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Zellweger is not winning for a critically and audience panned show.

I haven’t heard much. I just know the Dateline series it is based on was very popular for a period so thought that might be enough to get people behind her.

This may seem to go against my claim that true crime/doc/podcast adaptations are oversaturated and not good but I don’t believe any of those things are untrue about Pam. Much like Colin Firth likely being nominated I feel the same about Zellweger. I think both will miss out on series. Firth will benefit more from being on HBO obviously.

The documentary and podcast communities I am a part of were far more invested in the Pam story than the Staircase or the Elizabeth Holmes docs. That’s a pretty narrow view. I suspect all of them are not good because I’ve yet to really see one that is.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 533 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.