Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 11)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 518 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Manav
kat_ebbs
probablyROB
  • Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

First look and clip of Kenneth Branagh as Boris Johnson in the Limited Series “THIS ENGLAND”.

Emmy FYC
    -Severance in all categories.
    -Ted Lasso in all categories.
    -The Dropout in all categories.

-Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Margaret Qualley, Colin Firth
    -Jung Ho-Yeon, Lee Yoo-Mi, Sarah Snook, Laura Linney.
    -Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Juno Temple, Sarah Lancashire and Martin Short.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Didn’t something similar happen with people depicted in Winning Time? This might just be an HBO thing that they do now. I do tend to dislike the creative license the true crime adaptations take but not because I have a moral issue I just think it doesn’t improve the story at all. Both The Act and even Inventing Anna would have been better if they didn’t create so many characters and storylines that never actually happened. I don’t know if The Dropout did it as well but I feel like I read that it did as well. It just never improves the story and only serves to obfuscate the reality by making it seem so much soapier than it is or needs to be.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

It just never improves the story and only serves to obfuscate the reality by making it seem so much soapier than it is or needs to be.

Completely agree with you here. I also think one of the reasons Maid and Dopesick have held is because they don’t feel particularly sensationalized. I know they’re not true crime but they don’t have that that “let’s push to the limit for the sake of a good story” feel.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

To add onto that, the stories they’re “pushing to the limit for the sake of a good story” are already good stories! They basically do it and take away the one thing that makes them compelling which is the humanity and realism.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

To add onto that, the stories they’re “pushing to the limit for the sake of a good story” are already good stories! They basically do it and take away the one thing that makes them compelling which is the humanity and realism.

110%.

Profile picture
    JessicaReed53
    Topics:

Predicted Nominees for Series

1. “Maid” (Netflix) – Series, Writing, Directing, Qualley, MacDowell, Robinson
    2. “Dopesick” (Hulu) – Series, Writing, Directing, Keaton, Sarsgaard, Dever
    3. “The Staircase” (HBO Max) – Series, Writing, Directing, Firth, Collette
    4. “The White Lotus” (HBO) – Series, Writing, Directing, Coolidge, Bartlett
    5. “Station Eleven” (HBO Max) – Series, Writing, Directing
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Feinberg (THR) is currently predicting McGraw to nominated for 1883, he also has Elliot and Hill in 6th as “Major Threats”. Davis (Variety) has both Hill & McGraw getting in (Elliot 15th).

Does 1883 actually have a chance at major categories, is this them having an ear on the ground or just overcorrecting / overreacting to not predicting Yellowstone to show up SAG & PGA?

Profile picture
    TheCineMike
    Topics:

I think 1883’s best chances are Outstanding Limited Series and Writing, but I can also see it getting shut out entirely.

Twitter: @TheCineMike

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Does 1883 actually have a chance at major categories, is this them having an ear on the ground or just overcorrecting / overreacting to not predicting Yellowstone to show up SAG & PGA?

Possibly. I think it’s a blind spot.

If you look at the demographics for 1883 on IMDB it has MASSIVE numbers in older voters (more than some shows total) and that is almost always a forum blindspot. It also has pretty solid reviews and sky high audience scores. I know it’s Paramount+ but The Good Fight hasn’t accrued that level of support in five seasons.

I have only watched a couple of episodes but the pilot is very well written and it did get a WGA nom.

I also think it is somewhat a more broad show than Yellowstone, it’s likely to be getting the period drama types AND the western types. If it were competing in drama I think it’d get cancelled out by The Gilded Age and Bridgerton but in a year like this in limited – maybe.

I agree with CineMike it feels more like a series nom than an acting one (although, putting aside Elliott’s comments/faux pas with Campion earlier this year, he’s very very good). I don’t really buy Isabel May happening but she’s  decent for someone super young but maybe in a Globes not an Emmy way. Faith and Tim seem kind of similar to me, I think in a traditional Globes year and schedule this would have gotten in (I suspect they just missed with the release date)

I also think it could get in for costumes, they know Janie Bryant from Deadwood and Mad Men and they’re really good.

`image

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

52K votes on IMDB and a score of 8.8 is already a big deal. For example, out of all the Hulu shows, only Dopesick comes close with 46K votes and a score of 8.6.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

52K votes on IMDB and a score of 8.8 is already a big deal. For example, out of all the Hulu shows, only Dopesick comes close with 46K votes and a score of 8.6.

My major argument is it’s completely different from everything else in its category.

I mean Helen Mirren and Harrison Ford just signed up for the 1932 limited series (presumably for 2023) yesterday.

I think  Taylor Sheridan stuff is probably going to happen somewhere. I think he might be a bit like Ryan Murphy – they won’t go for everything because his style isn’t for everyone but he wouldn’t be getting WGA noms and so much trades attention if there wasn’t a certain level of support for him.

Profile picture
    OhDearKarma
    Topics:

Emmy Rosum is supposedly really great in Angelyne. I hope she gets her overdue nomination she couldn’t score for Shameless

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Midnight Mass has also 102K votes on IMDB. I think it’s the same case with 1883 where majority of the votes are from the creators’ fan bases.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Another Scenes from a Marriage panel today

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Midnight Mass has also 102K votes on IMDB. I think it’s the same case with 1883 where majority of the votes are from the creators’ fan bases.

Whilst that’s true, Midnight Mass is at a 7.7, and we have more data around Flanagan plus we know Netflix have effectively relegated it to the “it’s commercial so if it happens it happens” category. Paramount+ are really pushing 1883 (probably more so than The Offer now given how that’s landed).

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 518 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.