Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 11)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 518 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
Manav
kat_ebbs
probablyROB
  • Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Moon Knight is getting zero nominations

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

Under The Banner Of Heaven Rotten Tomatoes: 73% from 11 reviews (8 fresh and 3 rotten). Average score of 7.1 Metacritic: 77 from 7 reviews The Staircase Rotten Tomatoes: 100% from 7 reviews (all 7 fresh). Average score of 7.7 Metacritic: 85 from 6 reviews

Pretty shocked by the UTBOH scores. On MC it’s still a solid 77 but with the high end of the score being one 90 and a couple 80s with a trend towards low 70s. Tough to tell with MC though, my complaint is that place never freaking updates their scores. You get reviews posted for half a day and then it slows to a crawl or stops completely.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Pretty shocked by the UTBOH scores. 

I’m actually pretty shocked by this early going.

Honestly speaking, after reading the reviews and the plot I’m not shocked. The show screams inaccessible and cold to me. Not to mention the constant complaints almost in all reviews regarding the fact that it has episodes which are 10-20 minutes far too long and the periodic history flashbacks might be a bore for a lot of people. And that two reviews were mightily displeased with its tackling of the Mormon culture. The fact that critics are not heads over heels for it is significant because I believe this is a kind of show that’ll do better with Critics than with the general public. I will be pleasantly surprised if it’s loved by audiences. Not to mention it’s not on something like Netflix or HBO, rather on Hulu.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

So I think The White Lotus is just going to go all the way.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

frontrunner keaton may be helped by his competitors both being in true crime murder shows.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Honestly speaking, after reading the reviews and the plot I’m not shocked. The show screams inaccessible and cold to me. Not to mention the constant complaints almost in all reviews regarding the fact that it has episodes which are 10-20 minutes far too long and the periodic history flashbacks might be a bore for a lot of people. And that two reviews were mightily displeased with its tackling of the Mormon culture. The fact that critics are not heads over heels for it is significant because I believe this is a kind of show that’ll do better with Critics than with the general public. I will be pleasantly surprised if it’s loved by audiences. Not to mention it’s not on something like Netflix or HBO, rather on Hulu.

FWIW, most of my shock was at the universal (small universe) support of The Staircase. I just don’t see how they can make that story any more compelling and I didn’t find it terribly compelling in the first place. I’m pretty sure the hilarious and criminally underrated comedy “Trial and Error” did their version on this story and exposed how silly the narrative is (even if true).

That coupled with True Crime/docuseries/podcast adaptations just generally falling short makes higher marks for this particular story fascinating. If anything it leads me to believe Firth is a lock (and he probably already was) and Collette might be a dark horse nomination nobody is predicting.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

My biggest concern with Under The Banner Of Heaven is the issues of pace. The same critics didn’t have much of an issue with the pace of Mare Of Easttown (even though it was a slow burn), that does make me wonder how slow the show actually is.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Quite simply I think it’s the Kate Winslet factor there. Mare was great. But it was great because Winslet (not just her talent but the somewhat undertone that she should have more awards than she does within the industry). Kate Winslet has a lot more visibility than Garfield and HBO has more than FX.

You could change the gender of the roles (theoretically) and have Garfield play Mare and Winslet play his role and I think it changes the scope and reception

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Moon Knight is getting zero nominations

Moon Knight is definitely getting at a minimum of BTL noms.

It being 20th in the prediction centre is ridiculous. People forget Wandavision literally got a lead actor nomination for Bettany last year for a far less challenging role than Isaac’s, and that another comic book show (Watchmen) swept in 2020. There is willfully ignorance to accept that by users on this site.

Profile picture
    Snoopy
    Topics:

Pretty shocked by the UTBOH scores. On MC it’s still a solid 77 but with the high end of the score being one 90 and a couple 80s with a trend towards low 70s. Tough to tell with MC though, my complaint is that place never freaking updates their scores. You get reviews posted for half a day and then it slows to a crawl or stops completely.

I think a lot of reviews for UTBOH is out tomorrow and we can have a better idea. The number of reviews now is very low to make any conclusion. And some very positive reviews like BBC are not computed yet on the RT and MC.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

That coupled with True Crime/docuseries/podcast adaptations just generally falling short makes higher marks for this particular story fascinating. If anything it leads me to believe Firth is a lock (and he probably already was) and Collette might be a dark horse nomination nobody is predicting.

The reviews would suggest Stuhlbarg (it’s only just occurred to me he’s competing against himself in the same category)

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

The reviews would suggest Stuhlbarg (it’s only just occurred to me he’s competing against himself in the same category)

I’m still waiting to see how Staircase goes over with audiences and general visibility, but I would love to see Stuhlbarg get his flowers.

Profile picture
    Go Yeoh!
    Topics:

Lol. Some of yall confidence in things is something else.

Under the bridge is getting good reviews but it’s releasing too late in the season, amongst a lot of other buzzier shows. It’s might go under the radar if its buzz further plummets. The Staircase owing to it being on HBO and being an adaption of a famous criminal case will further give it an edge. (made this comparison because they are releasing around the same time)

Also, Dopesick right now seems to be the surest bet for the Best Series nod. Keaton swept the winter awards and will be on everyone’s radar. Helps that he is considered long overdue compared to Garfield.

Had Under the Bridge been a critical darling or a commercial hit as comparable to Mare, I could have still been considering the possibility of Garfield winning.

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

I’m going to join the crowd and say that Oscar Isaac was absolutely outstanding in Moon Knight 1.05 and deserves a nomination.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

I’m going to join the crowd and say that Oscar Isaac was absolutely outstanding in Moon Knight 1.05 and deserves a nomination.

I haven’t watched the show but I’ve read rave reviews of this episode and Isaac’s performance.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 518 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.