Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 11)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 518 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Manav
kat_ebbs
probablyROB
  • Profile picture
    sammumba
    Topics:

And WandaVision told that story in a creative way and paying a homage to sitcoms and the typical “how art helps you dealing with your problems” POV that industry loves. Moon Knight’s pilot is basically Venom.

quick question: have you actually watched moon knight beyond the pilot or are you doing that thing you always do where you barrel into a thread to be negative and contribute nothing else? you can go on and on about the pilot, but episode 5 alone would set it apart from every other marvel tv show, let alone the DID aspect. this is also the same awards season where people on this forum are routinely arguing that garfield is going to win with one of approx. 200 true crime shows that have flooded the market in the span of a year when the show can’t even crack 80% on rotten tomato and is on a routinely ignored network. that’s how wide open the field is. 1) disney+ will push the show and they’re really good about pushing genre shows, 2) the show will be seen by more than 5 people, 3) isaac got into sag and gg with a nothingburger like scenes from a marriage that maybe 1/20th of the people that watched moon knight watched. acting like people are delusional for even CONSIDERING isaac (considering, no one is saying he’s a slam dunk for this show) and saying that moon knight is getting 0 nominations when it’ll obviously get into btl categories is just stupid.

can’t believe you annoyed me enough on the film side that i finally cracked and registered on here. christ.

Profile picture
    sammumba
    Topics:

Agree. That’s why, at the end of the day I think we’ll see Qualley and Keaton win. They are subtle, artful and restrained in the roles (and they have way better material w/ Dopesick and Maid). Also, for Limited the academy is snobby! Actors branch votes for the naturalistic performances that made them weep. Not gloss.

keaton’s got it locked. the speeches from the winter awards and no one else gaining enough momentum to topple him will make sure of that. i’m still not sure about qualley. she doesn’t have the advantages that keaton does.

Profile picture
    a spoonful of sugar
    Topics:

I was looking at the Emmy FYC event calendar and there’s an event scheduled for SFAM in May. Refusing to lose hope for Jess Chastain to get in!

Profile picture
    helv606
    Topics:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2022/04/27/amcplus-original-limited-series-this-is-going-to-hurt-starring-ben-whishaw-to-debut-june-2-on-amcplus-a
    This Is Going To Hurt will debut Thursday, June 2 on AMC+ and Sundance Now with new episodes airing weekly.

Profile picture
    Gajo
    Topics:

I’m still trying to understand what makes Mare such a ‘deeply unlikeable’ character? The fact that she’s not positive or cheery most of the time? Her child took his own life, and she then rightfully expresses deep concern for her grandchild potentially returning to the care of his unstable mother. Not to mention the constant harassment she receives from men across the town throughout the series. Mare is actually written as a character deserving of the viewer’s empathy. It feels like another way of inflating Winslet’s work to me. She didn’t make an unlikeable character likeable. She pretty much played the character as it was scripted.

A positive or cheery woman to be honest. That kind of disposition is not treated as a turn off when it comes to men, consciously or subconsciously.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I’m still trying to understand what makes Mare such a ‘deeply unlikeable’ character? The fact that she’s not positive or cheery most of the time?

Deeply is a stretch, but I mean I consider unlikeable just to mean “hard to warm to”. I’m kind of like this in real life. I’m polite, but I’ve never been bubbly and I know I come off as kind of cold. I have had chronic pain since I was maybe thirteen (so 20+ years)  and I think that’s part of it.  I related to why Mare would be like that.

Apart from the fact she makes some very questionable choices to say the least, which is another thing altogether.

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

I still need to finish Dopesick. I only got halfway through the first episode and I just think I wasn’t in the right headspace for it. I have loved Michael Keaton since I was a little kid, though.

I admittedly didn’t love Maid as much as others but none of that was really Qualley’s fault. I worry that maybe it’s not a showy enough performance to get her over the top this year but I won’t be unhappy if she does win as I think she did a great job with the material she was given. I think because the female lead field is going to be so tight that Chastain is likely to ride her Oscar win to an Emmy win. I don’t think it’s the best performance but I honestly couldn’t say much separates a lot of the frontrunners either.

Both are good, I like Qualley and Keaton but both performances are too subtle most of the time and they could go for someone more showy, I still believe someone else will win, but between those two, I think Keaton is the one who can prevail in the end

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I’m still trying to understand what makes Mare such a ‘deeply unlikeable’ character? The fact that she’s not positive or cheery most of the time? Her child took his own life, and she then rightfully expresses deep concern for her grandchild potentially returning to the care of his unstable mother. Not to mention the constant harassment she receives from men across the town throughout the series. Mare is actually written as a character deserving of the viewer’s empathy. It feels like another way of inflating Winslet’s work to me. She didn’t make an unlikeable character likeable. She pretty much played the character as it was scripted.

This is one of the most bizzare things I’ve read. The drug planting on Carrie’s car for starters. Treatment/use of Zabel on dates to get into the case and hurting his feelings. Flouting rules in every single episode. Her treatment of her ex husband and her role in creating a rift in his ex husband’s marriage so much so as driving his fiance away to her mother’s. Her unwillingness to congratulate her husband’s fiance on her face and making jibes. Then the fact that she’s so cold and unhelpful to Zabel at first. This is all I can think of off the back of my head. Sure when I’ll re-watch I’ll remember a lot of things.

“She pretty much played the character as it was scripted”??. The way you’ll just state anything to put down her performance.

Profile picture
    Snoopy
    Topics:

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

A positive or cheery woman to be honest. That kind of disposition is not treated as a turn off when it comes to men, consciously or subconsciously.

I find it amusing that this type of assumption is okay but when it comes to suggesting ageism or hating deaf people in jest or any kind of inherent personal bias it’s an unforgivable character assassination.

If a man had behaved the way Mare did I would still say the character was deeply unlikeable. She is a user. She uses people and manipulates them. And when that fails she strong arms them or worse (like planting evidence on the mother of her grandchild). The people who are defending it are people I am glad aren’t in a position of any kind of authority.

Profile picture
    Snoopy
    Topics:

Washington Post review:

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

Completely agree. There’s a gendered element at play as well.

Deeply is a stretch, but I mean I consider unlikeable just to mean “hard to warm to”. I’m kind of like this in real life. I’m polite, but I’ve never been bubbly and I know I come off as kind of cold. I have had chronic pain since I was maybe thirteen (so 20+ years) and I think that’s part of it. I related to why Mare would be like that.

Apart from the fact she makes some very questionable choices to say the least, which is another thing altogether.

I understand that ‘likeable’ can be defined in a number of ways, and I’m sorry to hear of your chronic pain. The character was absolutely intended to be relatable though. The post I was responding to made it seem as though Winslet had defied the odds in making this character likeable even though hating her would be justified, which I don’t think was Ingelsby’s intent. I feel that the decisions Mare makes pale in comparison to the choices many male protagonists in TV over the past 10 years repeatedly make, and they’re rarely referred to as deeply unlikeable.

This is one of the most absurd things I’ve read. The drug planting on Carrie’s car for starters. Treatment/use of Zabel on dates to get into the case and hurting his feelings. Flouting rules in every single episode. Her treatment of her ex husband and her role in creating a rift in his ex husband’s marriage so much so as driving his fiance away to her mother’s. Her unwillingness to congratulate her husband’s fiance on her face and making jibes. Then the fact that she’s so cold and unhelpful to Zabel at first. This is all I can think of off the back of my head. Sure when I’ll re-watch I’ll remember a lot of things.

“She pretty much played the character as it was scripted”??. The way you’ll just state anything to put down her performance.

I think you misunderstood my comment. None of this contradicts what I said. Mare is still ultimately written as empathetic and relatable in spite of several character flaws brought on by personal trauma. I think Winslet’s performance warrants praise because it was a committed and lived-in performance, but we don’t need to praise her for something that is literally in the script. All of your examples simply add to the complexity of the character (situated in the context of her child’s death), and her willingness to operate in grey areas. The audience is always able to understand her actions at any given point. This doesn’t equate to endorsement of her actions.

FYC: Station Eleven in all categories

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I highly doubt Chastain rides the post-Oscar hype to an Emmy win for a show no one really cared that much about and couldn’t even get her a SAG nomination. It’s pretty uncommon for a performer to win both in the same year. Laura Dern (in BLL s2) came off an Oscar win in a competitive category where she had arguably the most publicly hyped and acclaimed performance and still lost. Chastain’s Oscar will help her get nominated, but it won’t secure her the win.

And I don’t think Qualley’s performance is too subtle to win. Winslet, Peters, and Abdul-Mateen didn’t have particularly loud or baity performances, and they still won. And really, Qualley put on the big doe eyes and cried at least three times every episode. Her performance is plenty showy enough.

FYC: The Bear (Ayo Edebiri) Industry (Marisa Abela) OMITB (Jayne Houdyshell) Physical (Rose Byrne) WWDITS (Natasia Demetriou)

Profile picture
    Snoopy
    Topics:

What a remarkable string of performances Andrew Garfield has delivered over the last couple of years, from his underrated work as the slimy charlatan Jim Bakker opposite Academy Award winner Jessica Chastain in “The Eyes of Tammy Faye” to his Oscar-nominated turn as Jonathan Larson in “tick, tick…BOOM!” to his triumphant return to the web in “Spider-Man: No Way Home” and now his smoldering and empathetic work as a Mormon detective in the uneven but often stunningly impactful limited true-crime series “Under the Banner of Heaven.” At 38, Garfield has solidified his standing as one of the most versatile and interesting actors of his generation.

Profile picture
    edelweiss77
    Topics:

Having read the book … a long time ago, granted… there is a certain, I guess, specificity to Jeb’s character that makes him compelling but not entirely relatable. So I can see even a perfect performance for that character feeling isolated and a little cold.

I thought Jeb’s character was created for this adaptation, and that he wasn’t in the book?

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 518 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.