Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 12)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 514 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
wolfali
Manav
  • Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Sometimes I wonder if the social media teams are just disconnected entirely from whatever is going on at Disney. This is the same thing that happened with Moon Knight but the other way around, they called the finale a season finale with no reason to. With Andor, Gilroy was on a stage hours ago explicitly referring to a second season.

That makes sense (SW Celebration was on whilst I was asleep – time zones). Of all the shows I was sure on being drama coming from Disney, Andor was #1 so when I woke up and saw that on my Twitter timeline I was like “huh?”

There is some weird IP war going on at the streamers because HBO/Prime/Netflix/Disney are going to run four different drama series concurrently (plus She Hulk which I guess goes comedy) because….?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I know someone here had asked about Under the Banner of Heaven numbers (Manav?). Nielsen numbers are out for the week of release (April 25 – May 1) and the show didn’t make the top 10. Full disclosure, first 2 episodes were released April 28, so we may see it with more time and more episodes.

If I’m not mistaken Under the Banner of Heaven won’t actually appear on the “original” section of the Nielsen charts because it’s an FX show and therefore is measured as an acquisition (like What We Do in the Shadows which was reportedly the 5th most streamed show during its premiere week but also did not feature on the Nielsen charts).

That being said I’d be surprised if it appears on the Nielsen charts at all during its run even if it does garner a very sizeable audience as audiences tend to stream acquired programming more than streaming originals (this week alone more people streamed more minutes in old episodes of New Girl, which was 10th on the acquired charts than new episodes of Anatomy of a Scandal, which was 9th on the originals chart).

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

I tapped out of miniseries several months ago but afer seeing Tom Hiddelston on Kimmel talking about The Essex Serpent, I thought I will give it a go. I am fascinated by the historic persecution of women thought to be witches, so the premise is very appealing although going in blind, I probably would have never watched anything with Essex in the name iykyk – it’s a bit off-putting.

So I checked the odds and although the show, Hiddelston and Claire Danes are all at 100/1, there are 39 people predicting the show and of them, 33 are predicting a win. For Danes, 55 people are predicting her, of which 35 are predicting a win. Hiddelston’s nom:win ratio is also exceptionally high.

Will report back…

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

The Oscars Isaac push for Scenes from a Marriage.

Nobody in Lead Actor comes close to his performance. Argue with the wall.

I guess Jessica doesn’t have time to campaign currently. A shame, she is phenomenal as well.

Emmy FYC:

Limited Series Lead Actor: Oscar Isaac (Scenes from a Marriage)
    Limited Series Lead Actress: Jessica Chastain (Scenes from a Marriage)

Maid in all categories (Especially Margaret Qualley)
    The Great in all categories (Especially Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and Writing)
    Better Call Saul in all categories
    Severance in all categories

Profile picture
    Leandro Nascimento
    Topics:

Got something about limited lead actress?

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

The Paul Bettany erasure

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    a spoonful of sugar
    Topics:

Got something about limited lead actress?

Not yet! Variety released a supplement for the Lead Actor races which included the pages for Drama/Comedy/Limited, the one for the Lead Actress races should be soon!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s obviously not getting into series but I do worry wonder if Inventing Anna might end up pulling a Hollywood and surprising with a bunch of random acting nominations. It’s become the consensus that Garner can coattail to her industry popularity and Ozark buzz in a wide open limited/movie actress category but Anna Chlumsky is obviously a 6 time Emmy nominee for a show that won comedy series thrice so the actors branch are very familiar with her and Arian Moayed has had a banner year between this and Succession (amongst more commercial projects including an MCU movie). Both have also appeared on several “dream nominee” lists of pundits and television critics that Garner has not appeared on.

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t nominate Inventing Anna for anything major personally (although its costumes and hairstyling teams would be excellent below the line nominees) but I also feel like the initially polarising reactions have cooled down. It’s not the most liked series in the world but anecdotally speaking a few writing acquaintances of mine who aren’t exactly the biggest fans of Shonda or David E. Kelley shows (and panned Anatomy of a Scandal and The Undoing) because they consider them too “pulpy” were raving about Inventing Anna. It may have mixed reviews but it’s a very widely seen show, the actors branch seems to disproportionately watch Shonda shows compared to others and it’s on Netflix. A lot of these shows and performances in contention have much less going for them.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

Can’t find a Conversations with Friends tab but have to point out that for as much as the show falters Jemima Kirke is genuinely fantastic

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

It’s obviously not getting into series but I do worry wonder if Inventing Anna might end up pulling a Hollywood and surprising with a bunch of random acting nominations.

Even if it will baffle me to my dying breath, this industry has a hard on for Ryan Murphy in a way that dwarfs even Shonda Rhimes. Particularly at the Emmys.

Profile picture
    Jaket1991
    Topics:

Can’t find a Conversations with Friends tab but have to point out that for as much as the show falters Jemima Kirke is genuinely fantastic

is it worth watching? After the reviews I decided against, but I’m interested in your opinion

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Even if it will baffle me to my dying breath, this industry has a hard on for Ryan Murphy in a way that dwarfs even Shonda Rhimes. Particularly at the Emmys.

It baffles you that a white man is feted more than a black woman?

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

It baffles me that particular white man is celebrated more than most showrunners regardless of their ethnicity or gender.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

but Anna Chlumsky is obviously a 6 time Emmy nominee for a show that won comedy series thrice so the actors branch are very familiar with her and Arian Moayed has had a banner year between this and Succession

The phenomenen I have specifically seen is middle aged Succession loving men bemoaning watching Inventing Anna because their wives want to and pointing out the presence of Arian Moayed.

I think I’d be surprised for Chlumsky because I ultimately kind of see her as miscast (and I don’t think that’s unpopular) but she’s not short of screentime if they went there.

Also, surprisingly few people go from HBO to Netflix. Familiarity might count.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

I just finished A Very British Scandal and thought it was very good – Paul Bettany was an absolute creep and was the standout for me. I’m not sure Claire Foy will make the cut, but Bettany absolutely deserves a nom. He’s on the level of Ben Wishaw in A Very English Scandal except it’s not his POV.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.