Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 13)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 506 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
probablyROB
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Under that system, I don’t recall any Writing or Directing win that was really absurd.

Friday Night Lights winning drama writing over “The Suitcase” episode of Mad Men, a random episode of Dexter winning over two of the best directed episodes of Breaking Bad and Mad Men‘s entire runs and the House of Cards pilot winning over the “Q&A” episode of Homeland in directing all say hi.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Friday Night Lights winning drama writing over “The Suitcase” episode of Mad Men, a random episode of Dexter winning over two of the best directed episodes of Breaking Bad and Mad Men‘s entire runs and the House of Cards pilot winning over the “Q&A” episode of Homeland in directing all say hi.

(A) Friday Nights Light deserved to win that along with Drama Series that year.
    (B) While I’d have liked Homeland “Q/A” to win, there’s no denying that Fincher directed the hell out of that pilot.
    (C) Dexter “The Getaway” has an 9.8 on IMDB and that too from 13.5K reviews with most users highlighting its direction, so you basically proved my point. It’s great that the blue ribbon panel went for a directing masterpiece over the Drama frontrunners.

None of the wins are absurd/ outrageous.

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

(A) Friday Nights Light deserved to win that along with Drama Series that year.
    (B) While I’d have liked Homeland “Q/A” to win, there’s no denying that Fincher directed the hell out of that pilot.
    (C) Dexter “The Getaway” has an 9.8 on IMDB and that too from 13.5K reviews with most users highlighting its direction, so you basically proved my point. It’s great that the blue ribbon panel went for a directing masterpiece over the Drama frontrunners.

None of the wins are absurd/ outrageous.

A)Hard disagree but that’s fine. I was okay with it winning writing.
    B)Agreed. Fincher was almost always gonna win as long as the House of Cards pilot didn’t suck. And it didn’t. Not saying it’s great but I also always felt Q&A was an overrated episode on this forum in particular. New Car Smell was a better writing and directing episode in my opinion.
    C)Totally nailed it. The Getaway is an iconic episode of what was an iconic show at the time. Calling it a random episode is only explained by people letting their memory be skewed admittedly really bad seasons after. Dexter in season 4 peaked in many eyes and The Getaway was considered the best episode of the series. I didn’t love it as much as everyone seemed to back then but calling it random is wrong on so many levels.

Profile picture
    Reis
    Topics:

All this directing talk made me dig and remember how GOT was mistread in their best season 💀 Blackwater and Rains of Castamere not getting nominations is outrageous…

(in fact season 2 is a very underrated season, when I rewatched before final season I was very impressed on how good it was)

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Rains of Castamere, yes. I will go to my grave saying Blackwater was a deeply overrated episode of TV. Mainly in writing but also in direction. The praise of that episode made me want to turn on the show. But it was too good for that. Still, I don’t remember another show that go more praise for less than it deserved. The final two seasons weren’t even that bad comparatively until homegirl lost her mind.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

. Still, I don’t remember another show that go more praise for less than it deserved.

Cogman is underpraised for his episodes which generally hold up well on a rewatch. Benioff and Weiss were praised to overkill.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

(in fact season 2 is a very underrated season, when I rewatched before final season I was very impressed on how good it was)

The King’s Landing stuff is their best contained storyline from any season. Probably only Daenerys’ in S1 comes close. And yes to the Blackwater praise. So underrated. It’s a perfect mix of intimate drama and spectacle. GRRM should’ve written more episodes for the show since we are never getting The Winds of Winter anyway.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

There’s been a lot of chatter in the prognosticating world over how the Pamela Anderson controversy could hurt the chances of the Pam and Tommy leads but I think its impact awards wise is a bit overblown. Sure apathy developed towards the show after it was hit with that backlash but I think it’s the apathy towards it that will lead it to under-perform if it does rather than the Anderson controversy. It feels like the controversy itself has winded down a bit and the whole narrative around it has shifted from “how can they make a series about a woman’s loss of consent without her consent” to a realisation through the show’s existence and a new lens 25 years later that Pamela Anderson faced a lot of trauma due to this incident.

I actually would even argue that the controversy and the subsequent redemption of Anderson in the media and in the public sphere (Netflix just commissioned an authored documentary from her, she just appeared on Broadway in Chicago) might be something that helps James rather than hurts her.

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

There’s been a lot of chatter in the prognosticating world over how the Pamela Anderson controversy could hurt the chances of the Pam and Tommy leads but I think its impact awards wise is a bit overblown. Sure apathy developed towards the show after it was hit with that backlash but I think it’s the apathy towards it that will lead it to under-perform if it does rather than the Anderson controversy. It feels like the controversy itself has winded down a bit and the whole narrative around it has shifted from “how can they make a series about a woman’s loss of consent without her consent” to a realisation through the show’s existence and a new lens 25 years later that Pamela Anderson faced a lot of trauma due to this incident.

I actually would even argue that the controversy and the subsequent redemption of Anderson in the media and in the public sphere (Netflix just commissioned an authored documentary from her, she just appeared on Broadway in Chicago) might be something that helps James rather than hurts her.

I never felt the controversy was that big like some people made it seem. She said she didn’t gave her consent, some noise in Social Media and then it was gone.

I do think, the controversy killed some of the momentum after the premiere but most people likely don’t even know or care about it. Drew Barrymore even said during her show that she liked the show (and performances) and that was after Pamela talked against it.

I have this feeling that the controversy killed it’s chances for things like Series, but I still believe actors and craft could give it some nods.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

It doesn’t matter much but Daisy Edgar Jones and Sebastian Stan just got nominated at the HCA Mid Year Film Awards for Fresh.

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I never felt the controversy was that big like some people made it seem. She said she didn’t gave her consent, some noise in Social Media and then it was gone. I do think, the controversy killed some of the momentum after the premiere but most people likely don’t even know or care about it. Drew Barrymore even said during her show that she liked the show (and performances) and that was after Pamela talked against it. I have this feeling that the controversy killed it’s chances for things like Series, but I still believe actors and craft could give it some nods.

Even as someone who does actually agree on the controversy itself I felt like it was more something that was being talked about more in the run up to the show’s release than after it. I don’t recall seeing a single FYC interview James has done for example in which she was asked about it (although I haven’t seen any of the Variety Actors on Actors discussions this year out of a lack of personal interest).

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

If I’m not wrong, both James and Stan were asked about it but it was during an interview like 3 months ago.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I don’t recall seeing a single FYC interview James has done for example in which she was asked about it (although I haven’t seen any of the Variety Actors on Actors discussions this year out of a lack of personal interest).

She did talk about it there.

Honestly though I think if people have an issue with them taking on those roles, they’ll already have had it prior. Anderson being displeased was not a shock and the story should not be a shock to anyone in the industry over the age of about 35.

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

I never ask for someone to be added at the Predictions Center, but here I am for the first time: Can, please, Natasha Rothwell be added for The White Lotus? I only ask because I truly honestly believe that she will be nominated and would like to predict her.

Thanks in advance!

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

I get what you’re saying but that “random episode of Dexter” is literally one of the most acclaimed season finales of all time. People still talk about that bathtub scene til this day.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.