Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 13)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 506 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
probablyROB

• AMG
    Topics:

I did the same. I starter watching The Dropout yesterday, saw two episodes, it is very slow for me so far. I hope Joyce and Chris are correct and it get better on episode 4 (so far the first two episodes do feel like very long and unnecessary exposition). Amanda Seyfried is superb though, I never though that she can act like this (I always thought that she is good, but this performance is on a whole different level).

I did the same as you – watched the first two episodes on release and found it quite sluggish and stopped.

I’ve picked it up again this weekend from episode 3 onwards and I have been HOOKED from that third ep.

I’m very cold on Dopesick though. It just didn’t connect with me at all and I found it quite dull.

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

hopelesstar
    Topics:

Currently watching Dopesick and I’m enjoying it more than I thought that I would. Probably an unpopular opinion but Dawson is the mvp to me. Dever is great but I feel like it’s basically the same performance she did on Unbelievable with the addition of being a drug addict. Which of course, doesn’t mean her performance isn’t good, but her acting choices just appear predictable. Also Keaton is supporting not lead.

As for The Dropout, I found it very stale. Definitely the less exciting limited series I have watched this year and agree with the criticism that it should have been a movie.

estrelas
    Topics:

Currently watching Dopesick and I’m enjoying it more than I thought that I would. Probably an unpopular opinion but Dawson is the mvp to me. Dever is great but I feel like it’s basically the same performance she did on Unbelievable with the addition of being a drug addict. Which of course, doesn’t mean her performance isn’t good, but her acting choices just appear predictable. Also Keaton is supporting not lead.

How many eps are u into the show, if u don’t mind me asking?

TheCriticsChoice
    Topics:

If the Emmys really go for Station 11, do we think Lori Petty has a chance in Supporting Actress? She plays a fascinating character and has a memorable death. One of those veterans that perhaps could sneak in to an open field?

hopelesstar
    Topics:

How many eps are u into the show, if u don’t mind me asking?

Ive seen 6 episodes, only have 2 left

estrelas
    Topics:

If the Emmys really go for Station 11, do we think Lori Petty has a chance in Supporting Actress? She plays a fascinating character and has a memorable death. One of those veterans that perhaps could sneak in to an open field?

I think if anyone happens in supporting actress for Station Eleven it’s Danielle Deadwyler. She has an episode all to herself, right at the beginning of the show, and it’s really a memorable performance.

estrelas
    Topics:

Ive seen 6 episodes, only have 2 left

oop. surprised you find Keaton supporting. I thought that at the beginning but then he definitely became a lead imo.
    Regarding Dever, she’s easily the mvp for me, but I think you already know that 😂. I disagree it’s the same performance she gave on Unbelievable, especially after watching episode 5. She really topped herself there imo. But happy to know you’re enjoying the show.

String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

This is a pretty shitty spoiler dude.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

probablyROB
    Topics:

I think if anyone happens in supporting actress for Station Eleven it’s Danielle Deadwyler. She has an episode all to herself, right at the beginning of the show, and it’s really a memorable performance.

She also has the best scene in the finale too. Which is saying something because the finale has quite a few scenes that would be deserving of that title.

Atypical
    Topics:

I really want to drop Falco because my gut is like nah even though my brain can see the potential. But who to put in instead? Binoche would make sense if I believed most voters had made it to the second half of the staircase. Dawson could ride her show’s momentum but she doesn’t feel like the kind of performer they’d look to nominate. I had Sydney Sweeney for a hot sec but I don’t think The White Lotus is *that* beloved that voters would check it off 4 times in one category.

I’ve learned to never count out Edie Falco when she does genuine Emmy bait. People aren’t talking about Juliette Binoche’s chances enough here, but her showcase falls at the end of “The Staircase,” so voters have to watch until the end for that. I have four supporting actresses in for “The White Lotus,” but not Sydney Sweeney. I’m in the camp of this helps her case for the “Euphoria” nod instead.

probablyROB
    Topics:

Sydney Sweeney. I’m in the camp of this helps her case for the “Euphoria” nod instead.

I also have Sweeney getting into drama supporting. That meme of hers blew up and it just feels like she’s been everywhere and most people associate her with her performance in Euphoria which is one of the biggest most populist shows on the ballot this year.

forwardswill
    Topics:

Have been too busy to do consistent rundowns this year but they really helped me to understand my predictions in 2021 so I’m gonna try and bash out a few over the next couple of days.

LIMITED SERIES

1. Dopesick – locked.

—————————————-

2. The White Lotus

3. Maid – both of these should be locked by the limited categories feel just about wild enough that a shocker could happen. The former could be too kooky and the latter potentially too forgettable.

—————————————-

4. The Staircase – Where things get interesting. Feel like this debuted just at the right time and got enough eyeballs in front of it to make it in. Classic crime drama so very palatable to the voting body at large. But still feels buzzless so I can’t help but wonder how many voters are actually going to rush to check it off.

5. 1883 – Visibility. Have had this in ever since I realised how many people had actually seen it. Could even see a scenario where it gets in and Yellowstone doesn’t in drama due to the difference in competitiveness between the two categories. Major setback is that people aren’t talking about it in the way they are with Yellowstone and also that we don’t yet know how much its viewership demographic really intersects with that of Emmy voters.

—————————————-

6. The Dropout – The internet seems adamant that this is making it which is honestly the biggest reason I have it in sixth. Seyfried being a lock helps it as voters will be looking to watch it but I don’t see it having the broad appeal of the shows I’ve listed above.

—————————————-

7. Station Eleven – Moving into unlikely territory now. The internet loves it but let’s be honest the internet is mostly dominated by people who love this kind of genre stuff. This doesn’t nearly as strongly apply to Emmy voters but there has definitely still be a shift in recent years. Releasing ahead of the spring madness will definitely have helped it. Think this one is more of a question of how many voters watched it in the first place. Again broad appeal is also questionable.

—————————————-

8. The Offer – Getting a big push and those who have watched seem to be very entertained by it. About the industry so will appeal. Feels like the kind of middle market fare that sometimes randomly breaks through in weak years.

—————————————-

9. Under the Banner of Heaven – Came and went. Very long episodes making it difficult to be consumed on mass. Lacking buzz. But made by FX who have done well in this category and with a serious subject matter that gives it more of a feel of prestige.

10. Gaslit – If it was on HBO, I reckon it would be top 3. But I don’t think anyone has seen it (certainly IMDb suggests as much). Starz is running a big campaign but there’s probably a reason they haven’t ever broken through.

11. Pam and Tommy – On Hulu so very accessible and definitely had buzz at one point. It just didn’t seem to last. Maybe too smutty for awards as well?

—————————————-

12. Impeachment – You just never know. Its first two instalments won this category and maybe voters have just been gradually checking it out all year. Baity topic and with a popular cast of performers. Critics may have just managed to stunt visibility.

—————————————-

13. Moon Knight – Visibility but doubt many could sincerely check off as Emmy worthy.

14. Candy – Ditto.

15. Inventing Anna – Ditto.

—————————————-

16. WeCrashed – Including because I suppose there’s an off-chance that Apple got this in front of the right people.

probablyROB
    Topics:

7. Station Eleven – Moving into unlikely territory now. The internet loves it but let’s be honest the internet is mostly dominated by people who love this kind of genre stuff. This doesn’t nearly as strongly apply to Emmy voters but there has definitely still be a shift in recent years. Releasing ahead of the spring madness will definitely have helped it. Think this one is more of a question of how many voters watched it in the first place. Again broad appeal is also questionable.

I believe the DGA nomination, especially considering it got the DGA nomination while airing at the worst possible time to score a nomination. Voting opened a day before the first episodes were available on HBOMax to watch for the first time ever. The final episode of the series aired/was posted online to stream the day before the DGA deadline for nominations. The fact that they scored the DGA nominations means at least one segment was watching and making time for it.

9. Under the Banner of Heaven – Came and went. Very long episodes making it difficult to be consumed on mass. Lacking buzz. But made by FX who have done well in this category and with a serious subject matter that gives it more of a feel of prestige.

I disagree that it’s lacking buzz. There have been a bunch of posts on /r/television that have made it to the top of HOT in the past couple of weeks. There’s also a lot of content being released and watched criticizing the Mormon church right now and sparking interest in people who have been unfamiliar with it. I’ve seen more talk about it online than The Offer or 1883. 1883 may have high ratings but I have no seen any industry buzz. The people watching it out in the midwest and inflating their viewing numbers aren’t Emmy voters.

Hoster1
    Topics:

Did 1883 even make a single guild in the fall.

methaddiction
    Topics:

Yeah.. UTBOH shouldn’t be that low imo.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.